Lost ignition key - dealer wants $500 for a fix~! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lost ignition key - dealer wants $500 for a fix~!

cantspell

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hi there,
So I have a 98's explorer, I've lost my ignition key, as ita 98 they say that cannot pull the key code as the vehicles is over 10 years old...the dealer wants
-150 for new cylinder
-2 key at $50 each
- and close to 300 in labour to put inthe new cylinder and program up everything...

I can get a used clyinder with key for $75, but then can i program that key to work with the truck - has anyone done this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call a locksmith. Most should be able to do it as long as they have the equipment to program PATS lock keys

A locksmith will be able to pull the code off a lock and then cut it to the code. The code is normally written on the lock cylinder itself. Then you will need the PATS system prorgrammed, but again, a locksmith can do that..

I don't know a price on it, but I've had keys cut by code before and they didn't charge extra because it was cut by code. You will just need to pay labor for them to pull the lock out to get the code.

~Mark

I bet you can get the job done with you/locksmith for under 250$ with a couple of keys...

The dealer can get the code using the VIN number to program the key with I'm pretty sure.

I think they only store VIN codes for up to 10 years.. So 2000 model year is probably the earliest they carry.

Don't just love canadian companies... if you were in the states, you could probably get the same thing done for $200. Anyways, as suggested phone around TO to a locksmith, some will be able to help you. To help your cause (labor wise), pull a lock tumbler (suggest the rear door), use that as the "master" for the locksmith to get the keys physical part, from there, IF they have the "appropriate scanner", they should be able to program a key. OF course, up here, a blank will set you back $30-50 (as opposed to $10-15 "elsewhere")....yadda yadda.... good luck.

Since you having a locksmith do the work, I'd have the 1st couple keys made by them and bought from them. Thats just me, I'd like to keep locksmiths in business so I'll give them some money to help.. But....

Then go on ebay and buy some blanks and get them cut. Regular/pats keys on ebay are much cheaper than I have ever seen on a locksmith.

between the pair you get from the locksmith, and the pair you get from ebay you will be able to handle loosing of 2 keys (at which point I'd hope you would buy more).

~Mark

Back