Transmission blowing fluid out dipstick tube | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission blowing fluid out dipstick tube

logeorge

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
'92 Explorer has had trans rebuilt.(A4LD) Worked O.K. for a while, then returning from a town 60 miles away, began to smoke from trans fluid on exhaust and fluid dripping out on ground. Thought seal had blown. Towed home. found no leaks. Refilled with fluid, ran thru gears with person underneath watching. No leaks or drips. Drove it for a few weeks, did it again. Rebuilder said to unhook cooling lines to radiator and install aftermarket cooler. Bought one, never got around to installing it. replaced filter, looked O.K.. Blew out cooler lines, cooler inside radiator and factory auxilliary cooler in front of radiator. Not restricted, no debris came out. Took cover off vent, it was clear.(Thought it might be plugged and building pressure) Blew through via rubber hose. Fluid came out dipstick tube. Refilled trans., drove off and on for several weeks. When temp dropped to freezing, trans. wouldn't shift out of second until a 2mile warm-up. Otherwise worked O.K. Sunday it did it again, wife driving. She let it set for about 15 min., drove it home.( 5 miles from where it blew fluid) I'm a pretty fair parts replacer, but know little about automatic trans. diagnosis. Any Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any trani fluid in your radiator??
Is fluid coming out nice and Red or Strawberry Milk Shake?

Good point Tony.
The shop could have installed the wrong dip stick. Too short.
I watched a ford truck spitting tranny fluid on the exhaust manifold from the dip stick tube here in Alabama on a hot summer day while at a shop I worked at. It caught on fire after 3-4 minutes. It was over filled.
Carry your fire extenguisher.

Transmission blowing fluid

Tony H.: Fluid is normal color, no sign of water in fluid, no sign of fluid in radiator. Brookllyn Bay: I don't think seal is blown. No sign of leaks at flywheel housing. Don't have to add fluid between "blowouts". Checked with engine running.
Almost 50: Dipstick matches part number for the model, but I may have put the wrong tube on when reinstalling the trans.. I don't know if the wrong tube or lower section will fit. Tube is in two parts. Also I had the trans. out of an "87 Bronco II 2WD at the same time. Both use A4LD trans. The were down for quite a while waiting for the rebuilder and for me to have the time to work on them. Could have mixed tubes. I might try pumping out a quart of fluid and see what happens. Wrong! Drove it today, it acted as though the fluid was low. Checked level, it was a little low. Added 1/2 qt. of fluid. Showed full, shifted O.K. I think there is a problem in the valve body.

I just e-mailed my dad. He bought a Dodge dakota and he had this issue. It was a recall, It had something to do with a slightly kinked hose. Not sure if it was internal or a coolant line causing a pressure buildup.

Ill jump in after I hear from him.

have you checked to see if the the breather tube is clogged?

reply to pwrranger88

Checked breather. It was open. Blew through it, trans. fluid came out dipstick tube.

Checked breather. It was open. Blew through it, trans. fluid came out dipstick tube.

Crap, sorry to hear it's clear. Talked to my dad, he says his issue WAS the Breather tube was pinched between the Frame and the body. It took Dodge 3 attempts to find the issue. Pinched at the factory. The scenario is the same as you are getting. 'It doesn't do it all the time'
I was hoping since you just had the trani done that maybe you pinched or kinked the line.

has anyone found th fix to this i have a 93 explorer that is doing this?

OK we know te Breather is not clogged.. how about one of the Trani Lines? Any get kinked after theTrani work?

Lines and coolers are clear, clean and not kinked. I pulled the valve body out to install a shift kit and found aluminun powder on top of the plate between the valve body and the rest of the trans. I've about decided to pull the trans. out and convert to manual. From what I read, it sounds as though the A4LD is marginal for a vehicle the size and weight of the Explorer and I don't know enough about automatics to rebuild it myself, nor do I have any special tools I might need. Estimates for rebuild range from $700 to $1400. Good used ones are about non-existant. Thanks to all for your input. L. O. G.

If you have the Manual Trani and the means.. By all means do it. The A4LD is the biggest POS in the world. It is the absolute weak point of the explorer. I heard it is the cousin to the Pinto Transmission.
They took a Pinto trani and stuff an O.D. unit in it. by doing that, A cluster of gears that were never intended to spin all the time Now does.

change to manual trans.

My nephew, who thinks he is a mechanic, tells me that if I change to a manual trans. I will have to change the computor and possibly the wiring harness. Is this true or not?

I would say you need the ECU from a manual tranny model,I will try to post the tranny wiring diagram for both tomorrow so you can see how much wiring needs to be changed.:D

Back