Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant

Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
buckeyeXplorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant

So my 96 4.0 v6 has a blown head gasket, and is causing overheating, etc. I don't have the funds right now to get it repaired (around $900), but I was looking for a short term solution so I at least have a vehicle to drive.

The mechanic mentioned "Blue Devil" head gasket sealant, and said he had heard of it working but had never tried it. He said if I wasn't planning to fix it anyway, why not try it.

I have done some research online and some people seem to have had success, while others say no. It seems like snake oil to me, but at the same time, I don't see why not.

Has anyone on here ever tried it? Or know anyone who has? Any feedback is appreciated, because I believe this is my last resort.
buckeyeXplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
yellow coupe
East Tn.
1997 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

I am not a big fan of additives and I know nothing about Blue Devil but I do know people who have used K&W Block Sealer with good results. If you aren't going to be able to fix it anyway this might be worth a try. Just search K&W Block Sealer review on Google. Here is one link worth looking at.

http://www.myhonestmechanic.com/arti...additive.shtml

Just make sure you drain out as much antifreeze as possible before using it.
yellow coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
reapereviltwin
Keep on wheelin John Rock
Jonesboro, Tx

'92 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
i have used stop leak for a headgasket, but it was BarLeak. My rig was overheating and blowing white smoke with a coolant loss. Just remember to go by the instructions step by step. I had a waiting time after installing the stop leak for 12-24 hours, I waited 24. Just remember u are going to have to drain the cooling system several times durning this procedure. My rig hasn't had a problem since then, and I took it out and dogged it trailing to test it.

Demon4x4.com

I ain't here to win a beauty contest!!!
reapereviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
RickMar
N. Andover Massachusetts
99 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

I have heard from different sources Blue Devil does work.
There are some videos on YouTube about Blue Devil worth checking out.
Just use the keyword Blue Devil

Good Luck,
Rick

Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
buckeyeXplorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemike View Post
i have used stop leak for a headgasket, but it was BarLeak. My rig was overheating and blowing white smoke with a coolant loss. Just remember to go by the instructions step by step. I had a waiting time after installing the stop leak for 12-24 hours, I waited 24. Just remember u are going to have to drain the cooling system several times durning this procedure. My rig hasn't had a problem since then, and I took it out and dogged it trailing to test it.
By "Drain the cooling system" do you mean just draining the radiator? How can I drain the entire cooling system?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
reapereviltwin
Jonesboro, Tx

'92 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

The drain is normaly at the radiator, but there is still coolant in the system, as yellow coupe stated you have to get as much antifreeze out as possible. Before I started I ran the engine for about ten minutes, waited for it to cool and then opened the radiator drain cock. I had to use a hose to keep the antifreeze from dropping on the ground. (antifreeze is toxic if induced, so if there are any small animals around letting it go on the ground is not a good thing, and of course there is the contamiation concern)
After the draining slowed down, I opened the radiator cap, this allows air in and more coolant comes out.
I then closed the drain and reinstalled the cap, and ran it for another 5 minutes, keeping a close eye on the temp gage, if it starts running hot, shut it down. Let it cool and redrain what you can.
If you have a large container to catch the antifreeze, just removing the lower radiator hose will do a very good draining. Try to have a least a 5 gallon container, there always seems to be more than what u think is in there. And you have to think of disposal if you can't reuse the coolant.
Then went by the instructions on the bottle.
This is just how I did it, other members will have other ways, so if one catches this thread more ideas will be posted.

Demon4x4.com

Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
buckeyeXplorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemike View Post
The drain is normaly at the radiator, but there is still coolant in the system, as yellow coupe stated you have to get as much antifreeze out as possible. Before I started I ran the engine for about ten minutes, waited for it to cool and then opened the radiator drain cock. I had to use a hose to keep the antifreeze from dropping on the ground. (antifreeze is toxic if induced, so if there are any small animals around letting it go on the ground is not a good thing, and of course there is the contamiation concern)
After the draining slowed down, I opened the radiator cap, this allows air in and more coolant comes out.
I then closed the drain and reinstalled the cap, and ran it for another 5 minutes, keeping a close eye on the temp gage, if it starts running hot, shut it down. Let it cool and redrain what you can.
If you have a large container to catch the antifreeze, just removing the lower radiator hose will do a very good draining. Try to have a least a 5 gallon container, there always seems to be more than what u think is in there. And you have to think of disposal if you can't reuse the coolant.
Then went by the instructions on the bottle.
This is just how I did it, other members will have other ways, so if one catches this thread more ideas will be posted.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know that draining the radiator leaves a lot of coolant remaining in the system. I suppose starting and running it after draining should cycle some of the remaining back through the radiator for the 2nd draining. Hopefully removing the lower hose should also release some of the coolant remaining inside the engine, water pump, etc. I was wondering if I had to try to vacuum it out somehow or something.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
reapereviltwin
Jonesboro, Tx

'92 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Your Welcome. let us know how the work on your rig goes!!

Demon4x4.com

Old 04-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Carguy3J
Elite Explorer
North East New Jersey
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
I have heard that "Blue Devil" is reasonably effective. From what I understand, it contains the same stuff the dealers had to put in the engine, to kill the Cash-For-Clunkers vehicles. Of course, in that case, it went into the crankcase, where the bearings/etc.. didn't like it so much. Read the directions, but I don't think the Blue Devil stuff requires draining the cooling system. I could be wrong, so read the directions.

Best Time 15.87 e/t @ 86.6MPH in the 1/4
Carguy3J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
RickMar
N. Andover Massachusetts
99 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Blue Devil for Engine sealant...
Red Devil for A/C sealant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBVTr...eature=related

Blue Devil sealant demonstration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-24Q...eature=related

I have heard Blue Devil does work.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
jseabolt
Kingsport, Tennessee
2006 Explorer Limted V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I work with a guy who used Blue Devil block sealer it his 84Ranger 4 banger and said it worked great.

He said the headgasket was so bad it was blowing steam out the tailpipe but after a few minutes of idling, the steam stopped and the engine starting idling like there was nothing wrong with it.

He sold the truck shortly after but he says the guy he sold it to is still driving it and that has been 6 months.

The headgaskets on my 96 V8 would leak when the truck was parked for a few days. It wouldn't leak when driving it. Well I drove it to Philly and put 1500 miles on it and it didn't loose any coolant.

I put some aluma-seal stop leak in it, let it idle for about 30 minutes and 10K miles later still no leaks. Supposably this stuff contains a trace amount of sodium silicate. A radiator repair man told me this stuff sets up like concrete when trying to rod out the radiator tubes. So I guess the thing is to not to use too much of it.

I did put some of this Aluma-seal in an 82 Fiat Spider that had a headgasket that was leaking externally. Twin cam Fiat engines always start leaking coolant below the distributor then eventually blow.

I sold it to a guy and he drove it from Tennessee to Toronto Ontario and made it home! I wasn't trying to screw the guy. I told him the headgasket was in need of replacement and might blow. I thought he was going to trailer it. I didn't know he was going to drive it back.

He said he didn't care about the engine, just as long as the car was not eat up with rust. He was Canadian..

The only thing that scares me about the block sealer is if you decide to replace the headgasket, how hard would this stuff be to remove? Would it fuse the cylinder head to the engine block?

But like my co-worker, if I had something I was going to sell or trade-in with a bad headgasket I'd try the block sealer.

Not sure if I would use it on something I planned on keeping.

1980 Fiat 131
1981 Trabant 601 S (Mein Trabbi..)
1987 Yugo 1500 turbo

Last edited by jseabolt; 04-10-2010 at 12:21 PM.
jseabolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page