How to: Basic Tire Repair 101 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Basic Tire Repair 101

...or how to quickly turn a brand new tire into a spare...:(

...Just got back from a Truckhaven trip and was so proud that my X came away unscathed..Well, almost...:rolleyes:

...The morning we were to head home I found my right rear tire had lost pressure and was about flat...These are a brand new set of 4 KM2's and they hadn't even seen the highway yet until this trip...I did a quick inspection both inside and out looking for the usual signs of gashes, gouges, slits, etc...
oct_23rd_108.jpg

...I found nothing but I have previously had similar slow leak problems on tires that were related to valve stems...I filled the tire back up, rechecked both sides again and tugged and pulled on the valve stem but still no leaks were to be found...

...About 200 miles later I was home and checked all my tire pressures...The three good tires were the same but the right rear was 2#'s lower..The next morning though, I woke up to a flat and I don't know how, but it didn't break the bead...

...Since the tires were new, I decided to take them back to where I purchased them but before I did, it was time to clean up the vehicle and the tire that was in question...Just being courteous but really, who wants to work on a muddy truck??

...I started pressure washing the truck and when getting all the mud of the tires, I quickly found this jewel...AKA, a punji stick...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punji_stick

tire_repair_101_003.jpg

..It had mud covering it and soon as the mud was pressure washed off, the race was on to get this repaired quickly as it was blowing bubbles and hissing at me..:p:

...I now knew that this was a sidewall repair... Knowing this is Illegal to patch by any tire shop...I would have to purchase a new tire...

...:scratch:...After searching thru all my bank accounts and due to these economic times, it was clear I wasn't going to get a replacement tire soon...
tire_repair_101_018.jpg

...I was going to have to repair this myself and this tire needs to go on spare tire duty until another new tire gets purchased...Not being able to find my tire repair kit led me to heading over to Kragen to find what they had for plugs..

...I found this little "32 pc.Tire Toolbox" by "Monkey Grip" for the unheard of, cheap price of, $9.99 pl tx...:biggthump
tire_repair_101_004.jpg

tire_repair_101_005.jpg

...This kit includes..

10-50 psi Pencil tire gauge
Straight Handled insert and rasp tools
(10) 4" black repair plugs
3/8 oz rubber cement
Metal buffer
4-way valve tool
(6) patches= 3 small and medium
(4) valve cores
(4) plastic valve caps
Instructions booklet
Storage box

...The maker of this product and their other useful stuff can be found here...
http://monkey-grip.com/

...A direct link for this "Tire Toolbox" can be found here..
http://monkey-grip.com/

...After identifying the source and location of the leak, I decided it could only take a plug in it's location as an inner patch would not stay on in normal driving conditions let alone, getting aired down...
tire_repair_101_006.jpg

Disclaimer on package..
...Notice: Tire Plugs are for temporary repair of tubeless tire punctures. The general tire industry standard recommends a combination plug and inner liner patch to be considered a permanent repair. Please see a tire repair professional ASAP.

My Note:...A legal patch would consist of both , a plug and an inner patch from a reputable tire company preferred...Sidewalls can not be patched and plugs will cause tire separation on sidewalls..

...This kit has a handy instruction booklet with pictures...:D
tire_repair_101_015.jpg

...What the kit looks like inside...
tire_repair_101_007.jpg

...I pulled a plug out of the kit and placed it in the insert tool...
tire_repair_101_008.jpg

...You then center the plug in the insert tool...I like to do this before I pull the debris out of the tire...This makes it not such an urgent condition of trying to thread the needle while air is leaving the tire...

...Next, I quickly pulled out the huge stick with a pair of channel locks...I couldn't believe it was this short but it was long enough to pierce thru the side wall..(compared to a nickel)
tire_repair_101_019.jpg

...With the stick out, it was time to take the plug that's on the insert tool and insert it in the hole...Following the track at the angle where the stick penetrated the tire is crucial...Take the insert tool and push while probing the hole too, push straight in without turning...Insert the plug 2/3's of the way in...
tire_repair_101_009.jpg

...You then pull the insert tool out quickly, again without twisting or turning...This let's the insert tool quickly release the plug and allows the plug to stay in the location you left it at...
tire_repair_101_010.jpg

...Take a knife and trim that sucker...:D
tire_repair_101_012.jpg

...While doing this, I like to over fill the tire by about 5#'s before inserting the plug...I believe it opens the hole up during installation of the plug and let's the hole close in on the plug...This is just what I do..Do at your own risk...

...After the installation of the plug, I like to wet the immediate area with saliva on my finger...Although, if you have liquid hand soap, shampoo, or liquid dish soap handy, these work really well to seek out air leaks as they will bubble well...:biggthump
tire_repair_101_014.jpg

...The finished product...
tire_repair_101_013.jpg

...This is a must have for any vehicle owner...

...If anyone has anything to add to this or even good deals or better quality items on tire repair kits, please feel free to add them here...:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plugs don't last too long in the sidewall - all the flexing tends to push them out. But they do hold for a while...

One day, we had 4 or 5 plugs in a sidewall gash - made it about 30 miles or so.

The "T" handle tools are easier to use - less painful to your hand as you shove the plug into the hole.

I don't trim my plugs as close to the tire as you did - I like to have a little mushroom head on it.

What about a patch on the inside? I had a 1 inch long gash in my tire and it they patched in from the inside. Granted it was in between the tread lugs but i figured it would still work on the sidewall.

Disclaimer on package..
...Notice: Tire Plugs are for temporary repair of tubeless tire punctures. The general tire industry standard recommends a combination plug and inner liner patch to be considered a permanent repair. Please see a tire repair professional ASAP.

My Note:...A legal patch would consist of both , a plug and an inner patch from a reputable tire company preferred...Sidewalls can not be patched and plugs will cause tire separation on sidewalls..

...It is sad but the truth is, this new tire can and will only be used for emergencies and a trail spare as it can not be properly or legally repaired...:(

My friend got a small cut in the same place you did. Same situation. Brand new Procomp AT, less than a week old. He took it to get patched.

They said they wouldn't patch it. They B.S'ed for a bit and they said they could give him a patch kit to do it. Eventually after more BSing they patched it. It lasted the 25-30k he got out of the tire with no problem.

But as you said it could be dangerous, but i doubt it would be a blow out, probably just a leak if the patch failed.

I remember using those fix-its back in the day as a gas pumper. The T-handle ones are much better and easier. That stuff was stocked in every gas station, and as gas pumpers, we had to do that too. So weird how much tire repair, and legality of it, has changed in 20 years.

Oh, yeah, and we were told NEVER to put it in a side wall. That has not changed.

Nice writeup!

I put one of those patches in a sidewall on one of my SHO's, and it lasted about 10k and was still there when I sold it...

...Thank you to the powers that be...:salute:

...I forgot to mention, I could have got the T-handled ones for about $18...From all the kits I seen, this had the most pieces, included more tools, included patches, and took up the least amount of space...

...All I need to add is a few valve stems which this box has room for, and this is a really handy and inexpensive tool for my trail bag...:biggthump

...I picked up the new tire for the X today to replace this damaged one and put it on permanent spare duty...:hammer:

...On the way back to the barn, I stopped back at Kragen and picked up another tire toolbox for the Ranger along with a couple spare valve stems...Just in case...;)

...I happened to be at a Kmart the other day and saw this tire tool kit for $8.99...:biggthump

..FWIW, they are also selling Craftsman tolls pretty cheap too...

Bumping an old thread cause guess what this 60 mile old tire has going on!!! It'll be a spare/testing tire for the race truck from here out I guess...

image-1844214520_zps4141ec0a.jpg

Back