Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Escape SE
I have my airbag light flashing code 33. It flashes 3 times, pauses, flashes 3 times, then stays on. It doesn't do it all the time. My question is: is this the driver's seat or the passenger's seat? I have done extensive research on this topic and find conflicting results. Some threads say driver's and some say passenger's. I would like to take care of this but the more I search, the more confused I get.

So what side is it?

I'm guessing it's the seatbelt pretensioner. Is this the part that the seatbelt buckles into?

Thanks!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has a tsb for this problem. Here it is, it is basically just a new wiring assy.
Printable View (9 KB)
TSB
03-11-3 ELECTRICAL - AIRBAG WARNING LAMP ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) B2292

Publication Date: May 20, 2003

FORD: 2002-2003 EXPLORER
MERCURY: 2002-2003 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2003 4Dr Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles may exhibit an air bag warning lamp illuminated with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B2292 and Light Flashing Code (LFC) 33 (Driver seat pretensioner fault), OR LFC 34 (Passenger seat pretensioner fault). This may be caused by intermittent pretensioner connection at either seat belt buckle.

ACTION:
Install pretensioner kit for affected side(s) by build date/color. Refer to the following Service Information for details.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Obtain correct Service Kit and refer to instruction sheet included with kit for installation instructions.

2002 Model Year Through 3/3/02 Build Dates

Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-AAA
Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-AAB
Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-AAC
2002/2003 Model Years 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03

Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-BAA
Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-BAB
Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-BAC

PART NUMBER PART NAME
1L2Z-78610E22-AAA Pretentioner Service Kit - Medium Dark Parchment - Through 3/3/02
1L2Z-78610E22-AAB Pretentioner Service Kit - Midnight Black - Through 3/3/02
1L2Z-78610E22-AAC Pretentioner Service Kit - Dark Graphite - Through 3/3/02
1L2Z-78610E22-BAA Pretentioner Service Kit - Medium Dark Parchment - 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03
1L2Z-78610E22-BAB Pretentioner Service Kit - Midnight Black - 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03
1L2Z-78610E22-BAC Pretentioner Service Kit - Dark Graphite - 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
031103A Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit One Front Seat (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation/Reactivation) 1.3 Hrs.
031103B Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit Both Front Seats (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation/Reactivation) 1.6 Hrs.
031103C Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit One Front Seat (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation And Reactivation - With Canopy Air Bag) 1.5 Hrs.
031103D Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit Both Front Seats (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation And Reactivation - With Canopy Air Bag) 1.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7861202 X2

OASIS CODES:
104000, 203200, 206000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.

Copyright © 2003 Ford Motor Company

Ford has a tsb for this problem. Here it is, it is basically just a new wiring assy.
Printable View (9 KB)
TSB
03-11-3 ELECTRICAL - AIRBAG WARNING LAMP ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) B2292

Publication Date: May 20, 2003

FORD: 2002-2003 EXPLORER
MERCURY: 2002-2003 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2003 4Dr Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles may exhibit an air bag warning lamp illuminated with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B2292 and Light Flashing Code (LFC) 33 (Driver seat pretensioner fault), OR LFC 34 (Passenger seat pretensioner fault). This may be caused by intermittent pretensioner connection at either seat belt buckle.

ACTION:
Install pretensioner kit for affected side(s) by build date/color. Refer to the following Service Information for details.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Obtain correct Service Kit and refer to instruction sheet included with kit for installation instructions.

2002 Model Year Through 3/3/02 Build Dates

Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-AAA
Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-AAB
Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-AAC
2002/2003 Model Years 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03

Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-BAA
Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-BAB
Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-BAC

PART NUMBER PART NAME
1L2Z-78610E22-AAA Pretentioner Service Kit - Medium Dark Parchment - Through 3/3/02
1L2Z-78610E22-AAB Pretentioner Service Kit - Midnight Black - Through 3/3/02
1L2Z-78610E22-AAC Pretentioner Service Kit - Dark Graphite - Through 3/3/02
1L2Z-78610E22-BAA Pretentioner Service Kit - Medium Dark Parchment - 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03
1L2Z-78610E22-BAB Pretentioner Service Kit - Midnight Black - 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03
1L2Z-78610E22-BAC Pretentioner Service Kit - Dark Graphite - 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
031103A Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit One Front Seat (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation/Reactivation) 1.3 Hrs.
031103B Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit Both Front Seats (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation/Reactivation) 1.6 Hrs.
031103C Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit One Front Seat (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation And Reactivation - With Canopy Air Bag) 1.5 Hrs.
031103D Install Pretensioner Wiring Kit Both Front Seats (Includes Time To Remove And Install Seat And To Perform Deactivation And Reactivation - With Canopy Air Bag) 1.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7861202 X2

OASIS CODES:
104000, 203200, 206000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.

Copyright © 2003 Ford Motor Company

swetrid, thanks for clearing this up. I have seen this TSB in other threads but people have been saying that LFC 33 is the passenger seat. So it is the driver's seat. One more question, if it is just a wiring harness then why are they available in different colors?

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

It comes with a new cover sleeve that goes over the the seatbelt pretensioner when you install the new wiring.

It comes with a new cover sleeve that goes over the the seatbelt pretensioner when you install the new wiring.

Thank you very much sir! :salute:

A quick update: About a month ago I reseated the connector and the light hasn't come on since. Hopefully it will stay out.

Hello. I have the same problem on my '03 Explorer on the drivers side. How to I get to the tensioner connector? Do I just pop the trim panel off with my trim sticks?

Hello. I have the same problem on my '03 Explorer on the drivers side. How to I get to the tensioner connector? Do I just pop the trim panel off with my trim sticks?

The air bag connector everyone is talking about is under the seat.

Thank you so much.

Thank you so much.

I just removed my drivers seat, 4 bolts, and unplugged & plugged the connectors back in and it seems to be holding. Sometimes the light comes back on after I move the seat for cleaning. Since I am the only one that drives it, the seat doesn't get moved that often. Eventually I will need to get the pretensioner.

Almost forgot............Welcome to the forum! :salute:

Hey Rondo. Thanks for the welcome. I did what you said. It's worked for now.

Cheers.

You're welcome. Keep an eye on it. Hopefully that did the trick for the longterm!

How to: Seat belt pretensioner kit installation

I figured I'd give my experience with the Airbag Flash Code 3-3 on my 02 XLT.

I removed the seatbelt pretensioner harness connector (yellow) under the seat, and did the blow in each side of the connector trick. I reconnected and turned the ignition, and it disappeared. I was thrilled....until... the next day when the flash code 3-3 reappeared. I removed and blew again, and it disappeared for another day and then reappeared.... So...I moved on to purchasing a new pretensioner kit and installing it.

Pretty easy - took me about 1/2 hour.

First I called my dealership with my VIN and build date (May 2002), (Grey interior) and they told me that the "New" pretensioner kit for my vehicle is:
3L2Z-7861203-AAF ($139). The parts manager told me that this part "took the place" of part 2L2Z-7861203-AAD ($73) which had "taken the place" of the original TSB recommended part 1L2Z-78610E22-BAC ($59).
I asked what the difference was, and he hummed and haawed...and finally said that the new kit includes the entire seat belt buckle, as opposed to just the wire harness. When he told me that the "new kit" cost $139, I asked whether the original kit (1L2Z----) was available, and he said yes. Trust me, this is all you need. Don't fall for the "NEW UPDATED" part trick the dealer will try and sell you at nearly 3 times the price of the original part.

Anyway, I have PICTURES of the pretensioner kit 1L2Z-78610E22-BAC (box and contents, along with my remove/replace - installation pictures, but the website won't let me upload without "Elite" status.

REMOVE THE OLD SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER HARNESS

1) Disconnect the negative battery terminal cable...and let vehicle sit for 5 minutes or so.

2) Remove the (4) 15mm bolts holding the seat down. You'll need to slide off the plastic covers over two of the bolts 1st... the cover in the front (closest to the door) slides forward, the cover in the back slides toward the back. To remove the 2 bolts in the front, slide the seat all the way back, and to remove the two bolts in the back, slide the seat all the way forward.

3) To get the seat out of the vehicle, you'll also need to disconnect the two connectors under the seat in the back where the wire harness leads go under the carpet - the yellow connector, and the gray one right next to it (self contained to within seat). The other two connectors connect to harnesses that are part of the seat - you'll also eventually need to disconnect the 3rd connector - self contained within seat (on the far right of the series of 4 connectors) in order to remove the pretensioner harness - explained later. The yellow connector is the seat belt pretensioner harness. That is the one that you will replace.

4) Remove the seat from the vehicle and lay the seat on the ground with the seat belt buckle mechanism facing up...and seat bottom facing you to the side.

5) As I mentioned above, disconnect the other connector that feeds into the fabric harness protector sleeve that goes along with the pretensioner harness (yellow connector). Detach the 2 Velcro straps of the fabric holster-like harness protector. Now you can slide the fabric protector off of the two wire harnesses that run through it.

6) Now you can see where the seat belt pretensioner harness attaches on the aluminum stub on the seat. Push the yellow slide tab toward the wires; lift the front and two side black tabs of the connector up and pull the connector off. The entire harness can be thrown away...including the end connector.

INSTALL THE NEW SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER HARNESS

7) Attach the new seat belt pretensioner harness connector to the connection point on the aluminum stub.

8) Attach the newly provided black cover over the aluminum stub - clips on - to cover and protect the connection point to the stub. Tie wrap around the black plastic cover and stub to secure in place...cut off excess tie-wrap.

9) Feed the pretensioner harness connector (yellow connector) and the other harness connector that went through the original fabric holster back through the new fabric holster-shaped protector. Secure the fabric holster-shaped harness protector in place and secure the two Velcro straps.

10) Re-route the two connectors back to their original attachment point on the seat and re-attach. Reconnect the one connector to its mate on the seat. There should now be 2 unconnected connectors (the ones that reconnect to the connectors coming from under the vehicle carpet.

11) Place the seat back in the vehicle, and attach the (4) 15mm bolts, and slide the plastic bolt covers back over the respective bolts.

12) Re-attach the two connectors to the connector mates coming from under the floor carpet.

13) Reconnect the negative battery terminal cable... reprogram your radio station preset buttons ;).

Restart you car and keep your fingers crossed...all should be better.

Mine has been fine!

I wish I could post my pics...it would help with the above description.

Hope this helps.

mac999993, thanks for the detailed instructions. They will come in handy if mine ever fails completely and I have to swap out the pretensioner. :thumbsup:

I just did a fix today. I read on another article that it is a white connector, on the 2002 limited at least, mine was yellow. it was indeed the connector alone, and I know why. after cutting off both connectors, (of course, AFTER discharging the SRS system, safety first) I found that the male end, when the wire was gently twisted, rotated the pin freely in the connector. this must cause intermittent connection from vibration and movement.

anyways, I got out the insulated quick disconnects, and replaced the damaged connectors with disconnects, which fit much tighter than the little pins in the stock connector. sure enough, code gone.

I just did a fix today. I read on another article that it is a white connector, on the 2002 limited at least, mine was yellow. it was indeed the connector alone, and I know why. after cutting off both connectors, (of course, AFTER discharging the SRS system, safety first) I found that the male end, when the wire was gently twisted, rotated the pin freely in the connector. this must cause intermittent connection from vibration and movement.

anyways, I got out the insulated quick disconnects, and replaced the damaged connectors with disconnects, which fit much tighter than the little pins in the stock connector. sure enough, code gone.

Thanks for posting your fix!! Nice work. :thumbsup:

I just did a fix today. ...AFTER discharging the SRS system, safety first) I found that the male end, when the wire was gently twisted, rotated the pin freely in the connector. this must cause intermittent connection from vibration and movement.

Hey Fellahs! I was reading the recent post about the flashing air bag light and followed the link here. My wife's 2002 EB Explorer is also getting the LFC 33.

So I took a look at it this weekend and noted that hers has two connectors at the driver's seatbelt. A gray plug-type connector and a black-with-yellow-slider type connector.

I wiggled both, but no change.

My next questions are: how do you discharge the SRS system?
From the posts here I gather the black-and-yellow plug is the problem?

I don't really want to accidently blow up 8 air bags for the sake of clearing a flashing light :eek:
My plan is to remove the seat this weekend and do some serious fiddling with the plugs.

Thanks fellahs!

Hey Fellahs! I was reading the recent post about the flashing air bag light and followed the link here. My wife's 2002 EB Explorer is also getting the LFC 33.

So I took a look at it this weekend and noted that hers has two connectors at the driver's seatbelt. A gray plug-type connector and a black-with-yellow-slider type connector.

I wiggled both, but no change.

My next questions are: how do you discharge the SRS system?
From the posts here I gather the black-and-yellow plug is the problem?

I don't really want to accidently blow up 8 air bags for the sake of clearing a flashing light :eek:
My plan is to remove the seat this weekend and do some serious fiddling with the plugs.

Thanks fellahs!

The connector that goes to the seat belt is the one you want.

Discharging the SRS system is accomplished by disconnecting the negative battery cable and waiting at least 2 minutes for the backup power supply to be depleted. I usually wait for 10 minutes. Can't be too safe.

Hope this helps out.

The connector that goes to the seat belt is the one you want.

Discharging the SRS system is accomplished by disconnecting the negative battery cable and waiting at least 2 minutes for the backup power supply to be depleted. I usually wait for 10 minutes. Can't be too safe.

Hope this helps out.

Thanks BigRondo, much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back