Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

It's possible to replace the 4405 4WD transfer with a 4404 AWD transfer case???

Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
gerardo1601
Maracaibo, Zulia
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
It's possible to replace the 4405 4WD transfer with a 4404 AWD transfer case???

Excuse me for this dumb question, but my 4405 is emitting scary noises from the inside, a mounth ago i replace the rear output seal, and 15 days ago this is broken again and i noticed that the output rear shaft is tend to move sideways, tomorrow i will go to disarm the entire transfer case (thanks to glacier991 for his perfect post about this), the problem is the next, in venezuela, nobody sells rebuild kits or the entire new transfer case, only a few old and dirty ones, the only fix available is the internal bearings and the seals, but searching i find a 4404 at very low price and the owner not know what transfer is, he send me a picture and its to be identical to the 4404... tomorrow i will inform to all of you what happened with my 4405
gerardo1601 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
daisyrocky
1995 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're not going to get much or any response at all about this transfer case. I was in the same situation you had on your transfer case and since no one response to your question like they did me. I just pick one up and open it up and transfer the guts and eyeball the measurements and went for it. It cost me sixty dollars all together with the newer front driveshaft. And all I did was take half of a newer 4405 case and all it guts and chain, gears and half of the older 4405 case and put it together and it work like a charm. I even used the newer chain and most of the stuffs off the newer tc and it seems works perfect. I also found out the tc I brought was a rebuilt from a wrecked Ex because the wires were cut and retaped and all the guts were shiny and clean. I even transfer the bearing and seal to the older case because it was so new and clean. No more horrible noise or anything and transmission seems to shift better too. If they have a 4405 for sale cheap, just open it up and you can see what is bad and good inside easily and just use the good parts and hopefully the case is in good shape. Just follow "Glacier diary" like I did and use common sense and you should be OK. When I get no responses or help I just went for it and if it doesn't work I'll be losing 60.00 only and learn something new. But lucky this time it works perfectly. Sometimes it's a do or die situation to get it done yourself even though you never done it before and hopes it works out or pay the 500.00 and up price to get a rebuilt one. Read my latest post and you should see a pic of it.
Good luck!

Last edited by daisyrocky; 12-31-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
daisyrocky is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page