Heater Problems/ Heat clicks loud when cool air is mixed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater Problems/ Heat clicks loud when cool air is mixed

yaneev

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT, 1993 Eddie baue
Hello,

Would love it if someone can identify a solution to a problem I'm having with my heater in my '02 explorer, v6 xlt. When I turn my heater on at any outflow setting (panel, floor, windshield), it works fine when temp. dial is all the way to max heat (red) and the heat is hot. As soon as I turn the temp dial to introduce some cooler air, there is a loud click/knock from inside the dash (almost sounds like some struggling going on to push wair out) that only goes away when the temp is on full heat.

Any ideas out there? Anything helps. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blend door actuator

Thank you both! The link is awesome!

yep print out the how to and you are good to go if you are somewhat good at working on stuff.

Or you can take it to ford and I heard prices around 1000$.. As they want to rip out the dash and replace the whole deal. (could be wrong though)

Blend door actuator

Oh yea that is definately the Blend door actuator. Cost me $600.00 to fix at the dealership but, after finding this site I am kicking myself. Could have fixed it myself for $50 or so.

You all have been very helpful and I will definitly try to avoid the dealership and do this myself. Speaking of which, is there any good places online to look up the part?
I've come accross a few sites, but there appears to be various versions of this part for a 2002 Explorer XLT. I can probably give my VIN to the dealer to order the part, but I've had issues with dealer parts in the past as I'm starting to believe they sell crap parts for serious prices so the consumer will keep showing up. I also don't want to go through the effort to realize I have the wrong part.

Thanks!

You all have been very helpful and I will definitly try to avoid the dealership and do this myself. Speaking of which, is there any good places online to look up the part?
I've come accross a few sites, but there appears to be various versions of this part for a 2002 Explorer XLT. I can probably give my VIN to the dealer to order the part, but I've had issues with dealer parts in the past as I'm starting to believe they sell crap parts for serious prices so the consumer will keep showing up. I also don't want to go through the effort to realize I have the wrong part.

Thanks!

My recommendation is to get the actuator at the dealer. They should make sure you get the correct part and others have had issues with aftermarket actuators. The part cost me around $70. Although this isn't a tough fix, you don't want to have to do it twice due to inferior parts.

Follow the instructions in the how to and you should be good to go! :thumbsup:

Dealership

I would also go to the dealership becasue you know you will get the correct part or 99% sure atleast. LOL.

ya dont mess with the aftermarket ones.

Also give tousleyford.com a call and tell them you are from this forum. 10% over cost on parts. Fast shipping too.

OEM front wheel bearing at dealer by me- 250$
OEM front wheel bearing at tousley ford shipped= 170$.

You get my drift ;)

also, if you go to the dealer, they will enter your VIN # and get you the right part.

Just found this website and i think its gonna be my new best friend! Thanks to you all a ton!

blend door actuator, pull glove box down past stops, actuator is located on top of heater box, is white plastic and can be popped of with screwdriver and lifted out.

I'm a newbee and not sure how to originate a question. how extensive is it to replace the blend door on a '97 explorer. actuator is ok. think pivot may be broken.

Back