The Ultimate Multi-function, NO loss Cargo Storage System! (lame) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Ultimate Multi-function, NO loss Cargo Storage System! (lame)

FR-425

Used to be a road here.
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
Normal Position:

IMG_20140202_155546_zps2b94d5c3.jpg

Drawer extended (300lb of tools in there! :thumbsup:) Deep enough to carry a car battery.

IMG_20140202_155603_zps636a297c.jpg

Rolled forward for cargo deck access! :D
(this was the goal for this project) :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Not to loose the ability to stuff a washing machine (full size spare, whatever) in there without removal of the drawer from the vehicle... ..... even with cargo on the shelf! :eek:

IMG_20140202_155731_zps81fe2a0f.jpg

As the shelf is free floating some safety straps and pins to hold snug. Testing note: the aluminum " stiffening" needs to be upgraded to steel.

IMG_20140202_155624_zpsf1e3e899.jpg

Access to the trail recovery essentials. Tow strap and jumpers right here. :thumbsup:

IMG_20140202_155647_zpsb456771c.jpg

Access to side boxes when rolled forward (lid can be lifted/removed when retracted as long as no cargo is on shelf) (does not interfere with sub woofer):smoke:

IMG_20140202_155740_zpsd1c8a287.jpg

Still have access to jack storage: :thumbsup:

IMG_20140202_155745_zps53e8b0e7.jpg

Just a plastic glide on front edge to slip over the seat backs. (Simple)

IMG_20140202_155757_zps5a9e1313.jpg

This Thing was fully loaded with camping gear on the shelf and all my tools plus trail spares (spare locking hubs, u-joints, oil, wheel bearings, etc.) on this years TruckHaven run, abused thoroughly and ZERO damage resulted..Tested tough! :hammer:

Really adds to the trail versatility of my Ex. :thumbsup:

Other niceties: :)

Total weight 75lb.

Only attachment is at the factory cargo tie down weld nuts. 8 bolts! and it's out. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Side support is provided by "L" and "T" brackets with rubber bumpers to protect the side panels.

When this thing is removed there is no evidence left behind. Back to factory original. No drilling/cutting. You don't even have to cut the carpet to install! Resale bonus! :D :thumbsup:

Not exactly cheap $400.00 at least. The rollers are $4.20 each and there are 24 of them! 24 x $4.20 = $100.80
Original design had 18 - Not enough.

3/4 hard wood ply $80
1/2 hard wood ply $65

Carpet, glue, bolts, nuts, square tubing, patio door latch, truck straps, yata yata. lost track, at least $200 more. You can make some improvement here; I used all stainless (mistake) to soft and to expensive. which added to my cost. Had to redo with grade 5 stuff.

Be prepared to spend $400.00 to be realistic. :(

Enjoy! :salute:

Love this truck! .. .. FIRST GENS RULE! :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think this is lame at all. This is very well done and very functional. One of the best cargo area setups I've seen on here. Very nice work! Did you come up with this yourself or have inspiration from somewhere?

Love this!

More drawer slide info please!!! This could be used as a spare tire carrier. If the slide was long enough to allow the "drawer" to pivot down to the ground. Making it easier for us gimpy folk-

I don't think this is lame at all. This is very well done and very functional. One of the best cargo area setups I've seen on here. Very nice work! Did you come up with this yourself or have inspiration from somewhere?

Thank you.

This is all me, spent a lot of time researching for inspiration for a roller system that could take the weight.

I found it when I saw the "shoulder" rollers at the hardware store.

The pre-made one's are $3,000 if that's not inspiration enough!

l-Bearing-Roller-Bearing-Wheel-Bearing_zps9e485137.jpg

Are those shoulder rollers with a lip ball bearings? What is the purpose of the lip? Do you you have an Ace hardware part number? You did a nice job. I had an idea, but it might not be practical. Could you use garage door hardware or is it too bulky?

Are those shoulder rollers with a lip ball bearings? What is the purpose of the lip? Do you you have an Ace hardware part number? You did a nice job. I had an idea, but it might not be practical. Could you use garage door hardware or is it too bulky?

Yes, they are sealed ball bearing.

I don't have a part #

If your store has the "National" hardware isle they'll have these.

Garage door hardware is sloppy noisy and weak.

My drawer full of tools weighs more than a 8' garage door!

It needs to carry 400lb while WHEEL'N

Wow that's epic, great job! I think 400 dollars is a very reasonable expense for this. I'm jealous!

This is not lame. Well thought out, functional idea :thumbsup:

Here are some other "sources" for the bearings (although not sure on weigh capacity):

*Hand truck, dolly, two wheeler, hand cart - some of them use the flanged bearings in the wheels. Maybe cheaper to buy enough wheels (two bearings per wheel) to get needed quantity
*Farm implement parts department - I bought some flanged bearings at my local John Deere for the wheels on a grocery carryout cart
*eBay - I have bought some flanged bearings on there for use on employee carts that are used in grocery stores

How rude of me!

Thanks all for the kind words.

I still plan to get some more pics and details up on this.

Going to the Mint 400 this weekend.

Next weekend is slotted for welding, drilling, mounting rock sliders. [edit] sliders done.

Week after that lockers.

Week after that new springs.

Get'n prepped for MOAB in May, You understand.... ...

Good times in the 4x4 arena!

Back