• Register Today It's free!

Glove box door rattle/squeak

deerfarm

Reaction score
City, State
Hickory, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
My glove box door rattles from time to time. Has anyone else experienced this?

I looked to see if the latch could be adjusted to make the door close tighter, but it is not obvious to me. I have not taken it to the dealer, but just wandered if mine is the only one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't noticed any rattle with my glovebox door. I'm sure there is somekind of adjustment on the latch mechanism that will pull it in a bit tighter. I'll take a look at mine when I get home.

Inside MFT is a very small person that controls the system. Occasionally he wants out. You just have to tell him no and to get back to work. He should stop making the glove box rattle.

Explorer Glove Box rattle

My 2011 Ford Explorer glove box door rattles also. Did you find a fix for this?

Yes started to rattle after 1200km. Also seems it does not close properly.

I have had it to the dealer twice for other things and asked them to fix the rattle both times. On both occasions they said that they took it out for a drive and couldn't hear it, so they could not do anything. I suggested adjusting the latch so it closed tighter, but I am not sure there is an adjustment. We have started sticking furniture pads different places to see if we can eliminate it. If anyone gets theirs fixed, please post the solution.

I also have a rattle and cannot find exactly where it is coming from. I have removed everything from the glove box, and it does close tightly. I cannot rule out for certain that the sound is coming from somewhere else, and just appears to be echoing from the glove box. I also have the wind rattle problem from the passenger side. Have a appt on Fri Jul 1, will let you know how it turns out.

Inside MFT is a very small person that controls the system. Occasionally he wants out. You just have to tell him no and to get back to work. He should stop making the glove box rattle.

I thought it was a hamster!!! Or is that the power lift gate. LOL

I just had this start happening (~4k miles). At first, I couldn't tell where it was coming from. But, my wife was in the passenger seat on Sunday and pushed in on the glove box and it stopped. As soon as she let go, it rattled / vibrated again. She opened it up and closed it hard and it stopped for about a day. It happened again yesterday and I had to open / close / rearrange contents several times before it would stop. Very annoying... :thumbdwn:

Hi guys,

I wouldn’t want to have an annoying rattling noise coming from my glove box either and I’d like to offer my assistance with getting this fixed. If you haven’t already done so, feel free to send me your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can help.

Cory

Are you sure it's not the infamous A-Pillar rattle? Could be that.

I have had it to the dealer twice for other things and asked them to fix the rattle both times. On both occasions they said that they took it out for a drive and couldn't hear it, so they could not do anything. I suggested adjusting the latch so it closed tighter, but I am not sure there is an adjustment. We have started sticking furniture pads different places to see if we can eliminate it. If anyone gets theirs fixed, please post the solution.
I think you are on the right track. I had a glove box rattle on my '09 Toyota Highlander . Went to the hardward store and bought a roll of foam tape with an adhesive backing. I just cut off a strip and stuck it on the non opening part of the glove box. You may have to try putting it in various spots until the rattle is gone. Worked like a charm and was still in place when I transferred the lease to a new owner.

I also have an appointment on Friday the 1st at the Ford dealer. i hope they can figure it out. I have also tried pushing on the glove box door when driving and the rattle stops. As soon as I release it, it starts again. My rattle started almost immediately when it was brand new. I still have less than 2,000 miles on it. Very annoying.

PLEASE POST A SOLUTION IF YOU FIND ONE.
Rob

I also have an appointment on Friday the 1st at the Ford dealer. i hope they can figure it out. I have also tried pushing on the glove box door when driving and the rattle stops. As soon as I release it, it starts again. My rattle started almost immediately when it was brand new. I still have less than 2,000 miles on it. Very annoying.

Rob
Rob, I have posted a solution above. Foam tape. My Highlander was also new and there was no adjustment to be done. If Ford cannot adjust the closing mechanism then try the tape. It is also black and if the inside of the box is black like mine is, you can try putting a strip down each side and it will blend in with the dash. It is an inexpensive attempt. If it doesn't work, you can always use it elsewhere around the house.
Also, welcome to the Explorer Forum. :wavey:

Peter

try the round felt pads used for cabinet doors and place them where the glovebox stoppers touch the instrument panel. you can stack one on top of another if you need to make it close even tighter

Although both suggestions are great ideas I question the need for the owner of a brand new $45,000 state of the art vehicle to be taking those steps.

Squeaks and rattles are covered under warranty.

Ford has squeak and rattle technologists for these very issues, they need to see the warranty claim numbers so they can improve products and designs.

My OEM Invision DVD headrest squeaked so they had to fix it.

Seeing the warranty claim $$$ is the only way to ensure constant design improvements.

My glove box door rattles from time to time. Has anyone else experienced this?

I looked to see if the latch could be adjusted to make the door close tighter, but it is not obvious to me. I have not taken it to the dealer, but just wandered if mine is the only one.

Happening to me too. The gf pushed the door tighter and it stopped, released it and it started again. Only got 1000 miles so far.

Glove box repair

Rob

How did your appointment for the glove box rattle turn out? I have tried furniture pads in a couple of locations with no success. It seems to me the answer is to make it close tighter, but I don't see any adjustment.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't make it to the appointment yet. I did fold up the cloth wipe that came with the vehicle for the display screen and placed it between the left side of the glove box door edge and the dashboard frame. That seemed to stop the rattling.

Although I agree with poster above. Ford needs to make this right.

Back