Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

2011 fuse box location

Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
krayzie32
VA
11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2011 fuse box location

I've searched these forums and google and I still can not find my fuse box. I keep seeing "below and left of steering wheel near the brake pedal"... I do not see anything except for 2 screws that that are holding a large black panel together, which goes up to the steering wheel. I would like to pull the sync fuse in hopes of sync behaving correctly.

Thanks
krayzie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
jrmexplorer
Elite Explorer
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie32 View Post
I've searched these forums and google and I still can not find my fuse box. I keep seeing "below and left of steering wheel near the brake pedal"... I do not see anything except for 2 screws that that are holding a large black panel together, which goes up to the steering wheel. I would like to pull the sync fuse in hopes of sync behaving correctly.

Thanks
It's above the parking brake, not the normal brake and its mounted so that it would be parallel to the drivers legs when the driver is seated in the driver's seat. There is a black cover that needs to be removed.
jrmexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
plex
Toronto, Ontario
2011 LTD

Vehicle Specs

2011 Explorer Fuse Box Locatioin

I've looked very carefully everywhere above both brake pedals, and cannot for the life of me find the fuse box. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
NEWPORTNJ
Elite Explorer
JERSEY CITY
2014 TUXEDO BLK LTD 302A

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Look at the manual book mybe the canaidian model has it in a differnt place ?? But in mine's it's in right by the brake pedal right above check hard with a flash light !!
NEWPORTNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
kdog
Kailua, HI
2011 LTD

Vehicle Specs

It's not really easy to see, and definitely not as large as old fuse panels were, but it is right above the brake pedal. Grab a flashlight and lay down on the floor mat.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
krayzie32
VA
11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
So do I have to get on my back and look up to see it? I still can not find the box... can someone post a picture of the box location? My touchscreen is now black and will not turn on and I am 100+ miles away from any dealership... thanks for any help.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
kdog
Kailua, HI
2011 LTD

Vehicle Specs

Sort of. It's a b**** to get to.

FWIW, I posted this in another thread but I finally had Ford open up my dash to get a PN off the module. They discovered it wasn't plugged in all the way, causing me all the headaches with MFT/Sync. Once they plugged it in - smoooooth sailing.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
lookgoodn43
Mirabel,Qc, Canada
2011 XLT AWD Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Canadian model is in the same location.......
lookgoodn43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
StunnedMonkey
Fort Wayne, IN
2011 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
I've looked very carefully everywhere above both brake pedals, and cannot for the life of me find the fuse box. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I've never found it on my EX either. I think it requires the agility of a trapeze artist to get to. Like you, I can't even find it, let alone get into it. I've given up. If you're trying to reset MFT I think disconnecting the battery for a few minutes accomplishes pretty much the same thing. That's what I do anyway.
StunnedMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
krayzie32
VA
11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StunnedMonkey View Post
I've never found it on my EX either. I think it requires the agility of a trapeze artist to get to. Like you, I can't even find it, let alone get into it. I've given up. If you're trying to reset MFT I think disconnecting the battery for a few minutes accomplishes pretty much the same thing. That's what I do anyway.
I heard disconnecting the battery is not a good idea.... However, since I'm on vacation and not close to a mechanic, I might have to resort to that.

Any other advice/pictures on where to find the fuse box?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
calabrese94
Brooklyn NY
11 limited white 302A

Vehicle Specs

It on the left hand side on top and it not that far deep from the panel
calabrese94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
harlenm
Shelton, CT
2013 Limited(lemon swap)

Vehicle Specs

If you look up under the peddles to the left, along the side of the car, you'll find it. Here is a pic, a little blurry, but you'll get the idea.

harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
w1kedz
Unregistered
Los Angeles, CA
'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

lol.. this thread just highlights the stupidity of the engineers that designed the location for the panel that houses "user replaceable fuses"... I mean come on. I've never had a car that I had to bend my body 3 different ways to find the panel, and another 2 ways to actually be able to replace a fuse on.

Why isn't this panel under the plastic piece on the left side of the dash? There is plenty of room in there and you can actually access it without being a circus actor.

I feel sorry for anybody that is over 6'2", or over 250lbs... cause there's almost no way they are going to be able to get into a position to identify the correct fuse and pull it. And if they do, getting it back in is going to take a miracle.

I know!!! The fuse box placement must have been part of the engineering group that developed MFT!!
w1kedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
krayzie32
VA
11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
harlenm,

The picture helped me tremendously. I was looking in the wrong place and at the incorrect angle. The box is on the far left (looking as if you are driving) behind a bundle of wires and parallel to your body up against the left side of the vehicle. You don't have to get on your back, just your right side looking toward your left.

I found fuse 29, fired up the SUV and now everything is working again.

Thank you again harlenm. You saved me hours of silence in my 7 hour drive back home and now the wife won't be pissed off anymore about the SUV

[QUOTE=harlenm;2780990]If you look up under the peddles to the left, along the side of the car, you'll find it. Here is a pic, a little blurry, but you'll get the idea.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
harlenm
Shelton, CT
2013 Limited(lemon swap)

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
harlenm,

The picture helped me tremendously. I was looking in the wrong place and at the incorrect angle. The box is on the far left (looking as if you are driving) behind a bundle of wires and parallel to your body up against the left side of the vehicle. You don't have to get on your back, just your right side looking toward your left.

I found fuse 29, fired up the SUV and now everything is working again.

Thank you again harlenm. You saved me hours of silence in my 7 hour drive back home and now the wife won't be pissed off anymore about the SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
If you look up under the peddles to the left, along the side of the car, you'll find it. Here is a pic, a little blurry, but you'll get the idea.
Glad I could help.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
jso001

Vehicle Specs

Thank you! You just saved me a trip back to the dealer!

I have a 6 month old 2011 Explorer and the Sync 8" screen just went DEAD. No radio, temp, backup camera, etc. I could not find the stupid fuse box until I saw your picture. To the left of the steering wheel and down, yeah real easy to find! Try adding 'up under the dash behind a clump of wires'

At least they give you a fuse puller inside of the lid that just pops off! Pulled fuse #29, popped it back in and VOILA! Radio static. It did a quick 'Sync downloading scheduled maintenance' reboot and the Sync screen is working again. Many thanks!
jso001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. The fuse box is located just sightly up and to the left of the plug above the yellow sideways 'A' in the picture. And for more free info, the white sticker with the bar code shows your driver's side door code (changed to 0's for the pic).

Peter
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
RTrahan
New Orleans, LA
2011 Ford Explorer LTD

Vehicle Specs

Thanks for all of the posts to this thread. I have owned many different cars before, but this one has the most ridiculous placement for a fuse block! I kept thinking that it had to be behind a removable plastic panel. But, NOOOO. You have to be a contortionist with great eyesight to see it! I had to pull fuse 29 to reset the SYNC screen which was locked up in the NAV mode. It is working again after the hard reset. You all saved me from a trip to the dealer (... in a city I am visiting, no less).
RTrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
harlenm
Shelton, CT
2013 Limited(lemon swap)

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTrahan View Post
Thanks for all of the posts to this thread. I have owned many different cars before, but this one has the most ridiculous placement for a fuse block! I kept thinking that it had to be behind a removable plastic panel. But, NOOOO. You have to be a contortionist with great eyesight to see it! I had to pull fuse 29 to reset the SYNC screen which was locked up in the NAV mode. It is working again after the hard reset. You all saved me from a trip to the dealer (... in a city I am visiting, no less).
Next time just disconnect the battery. It's much easier to do.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
rmp301
Yonkers, New York
2012 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks
Don't feel bad ..... I had the same problem ..... My son crawled under the dash and found it for me, but seriously ............. I need a wrench and flash light to replace a fuse in an emergency? What a load of crap ............. Just as well write these new vehs off when you have a problem with them as you cannot locate a damn thing any longer!
rmp301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page