I tried way to hard!!!

drober30

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Blanc, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited 302A
to keep my vehicle nice!

I finally purchased some Zanio polish products and had my Explorer looking amazing! Then, all within 3 days:

• Scratch
  • Chip/Dent
  • Rear Ended

Three days ago there was a scratch in the passenger door. I was so upset because I tried so hard to keep it nice. Wiped it down every day so I knew that the scratch just happened. Was done by the kids going in and out of the garage with toys or something. Went to the body shop and he said he could get it out and to bring it in the next day.

That night it was poring rain and a car hit a pothole and splashed all kinds of water up on my hood/windshield. Next morning when I washed the car to take it in for the scratch I noticed a huge paint chip right down to the aluminum with a small dent on the hood. I was so pissed! Took it in and the scratch came right out but the hood could only be touched up. They touched it up and it looked like crap.

Today, I was driving home with the car loaded with my wife, two girls and one of their friends when a teenager decided not to stop and plowed into the back of my explorer! Made the stone chip in the hood look not so bad!

The Explorer really held up well in the rear end collision and everyone was OK which is the only thing that matters, however, I'm really depressed that I cant keep a car nice and someone/something is bound to damage it. Very bummed out!

The Explorer was six weeks old!:mad:
photo.jpg
[/IMG]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO!!!! that just isn't right.....

sorry to hear about that. The good news though, is that when you get the rear end painted to match you may be able to get the scratch and chip taken care of at the same time and save some $$$

-J

Man, that sucks!! Glad you're all ok..

Sorry to hear about that. Do you have any pictures from before the accident. I never see these on the road and its nice to see real pictures rather then the dolled up ones Ford has on its site.

Also, is your trailer hitch factory installed?

With the shortage on that black paint can they repaint the replacement parts?

this is why i will never buy a new vehicle again. My explorer was costing me to much to drive 200 miles a day so I bought a brand new chevy cobalt and the second day i had it i was on the freeway and a big rig blew a tire right beside me and it actually totaled the car. Crushed the roof in like a beer can. So after dealing with the insurance company for weeks i finally got another brand new cobalt and two weeks later i got t boned by an old lady... TOTALED!

After that i just gave up and im back to driving my 300,000 mile explorer

With the shortage on that black paint can they repaint the replacement parts?

The paint wont be an issue. I'm not sure how it really works with the "pigment" issue, but when I had my scratch fixed the body shop said he mixes his own paint and when I picked up my car he had a label printed off with all the paint codes/specs.

I think it was a production issue/quantity?

I guess I'll see but not expecting it to be an issue.

GLADE I LEASED! Guess I will be ordering a 2013/2014.

Wow drober- that sucks. :(

Glad everyone was safe though...

Wow drober- that sucks. :(

Glad everyone was safe though...

Yes! The Explorer did a good job! Although I was very upset, I went very easy on the young driver. He was pretty upset and shaken. His parents and the insurance rates will punish him.

I hope my 2014 explorer can be started by my iPhone and has a heated steering wheel!

that sucks.. do you have to pay collision deductible? I think you can't go after them being a "no fault" state, right?

that sucks.. do you have to pay collision deductible? I think you can't go after them being a "no fault" state, right?

There is something called "mini tort" which allows for the person not at fault to recover up to $500. If the other person has full coverage then I won't pay a deductible because I have a $500 deductible.

If the person does not have full coverage, I will have to sue them in small claims but it an open/shut case so the only reason a person would not pay you is they would hope you would not follow through and that woukd not be the case here.

...and for this privilege, we pay insane insurance rates in Michigan.

There is something called "mini tort" which allows for the person not at fault to recover up to $500. If the other person has full coverage then I won't pay a deductible because I have a $500 deductible.

If the person does not have full coverage, I will have to sue them in small claims but it an open/shut case so the only reason a person would not pay you is they would hope you would not follow through and that woukd not be the case here.

Our ex was slightly rear-ended in May, nothing compared to the damage that your's has. Our damage was limited to the plastic bumber/cover that conceals the tow package. It was a teenage girl not paying attention, we think she was texting and driving. The cover replacement is less that $70.00 and they refuse to pay, it's amazing how some people have no integrity at all.

Our ex was slightly rear-ended in May, nothing compared to the damage that your's has. Our damage was limited to the plastic bumber/cover that conceals the tow package. It was a teenage girl not paying attention, we think she was texting and driving. The cover replacement is less that $70.00 and they refuse to pay, it's amazing how some people have no integrity at all.

I would sue just on principle. Rediculous!!

Oh man, this is just painful!! Good thing everything worked out though (Ex being safe, people OK.) Being a teenager myself, I can say that I hate seeing distracted drivers, especially kids driving around with such carelessness. Sounds like this was actually just an accident though. I wish your Explorer the best!

Question: did the air bags deploy?

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!!!!!

Adjuster called and it was $9k in damage. The rear floor crumpled up and has to be replaced. I don't know if the floor was suppose to do that by design (crumple zone) or not but the adjuster said pretty labor intensive.

Estimate is at least two weeks for repairs.

I absolutely love the Explorer and will order another one when this lease is up. Hopefully I will benefit from some newer features like heated steering wheel, improved hardware for the MFT and smart phone control over starting and locking. That's the only positive spin I can put on it.

I have a brand new Sea-Doo wave runner and my neighbor down the street invited us out to her parents lake house and asked if we would bring our wave runner.

I unloaded the wave runner and drove it to the beach area where I was going to let her ride it. As we were approaching the wave runner she stated "I just want you to know I know what I'm doing so don't worry" I explained that the new $15k wave runners have allot of new features/technology and I just wanted to go over some things with here.

She jumped on the wave runner and started the engine which then sucked up allot of rocks and ruined the impeller. The wave runner had to be pulled out of the water and serviced.

She was so upset and apologetic! She repeatably stated "I will pay to have it fixed". She took my wife's cell number down and said she would call us. I had it fixed for $560. I turned it into insurance so I was down to a $250 deductible.

I have never heard from my neighbor down the street and she has even driven by a few times and waved. Money is just to important to some people! People like that have made me more syntactical over the years! It's a real shame!

I will approach her and she what she says but not even calling or following up really says it all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question: did the air bags deploy?

My air bags did not deploy. I don't know about the other car because the hood was pushed all the way up and I did not go look.

However, my flashers automatically turned on which is by design.

But know that I talk about it, the Ford Post Crash system did not call 911. Maybe the air bags need to deploy before that happens?

Even if so, not a great system because if you are ejected from the vehicle with your cell phone on you, the system would not be able to complete the call.

On star is really still the best system.

Back