How to: - Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

DominicanX

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
!Disclaimer!
Modifying a vehicle's suspension may affect it's performance or handling. Proceed at your own risk.!!

Parts list as purchased from ORW (OFF ROAD WAREHOUSE)

Fox 2.0 emulsion shocks (980-02-001-A) x2 ($207 each)
Eibach 12" 800lb springs (1200.250.0800) x2 ($52.99 each)
Spanner Wrenches (07-100 and 07-102) for adjusting coilovers on shock body ($13.50 for both)

Fox Longer Eyelet (213-01-282-B) x2 ($30 each)
Fox Heim Spacers (213-18-009-A) x8 ($4.50 each) these are to space them correctly in the mounts.
Shock Soft Jaws (4023-875-625) these are to hold the shock rod while changing eyelets ($30)

Prices and part numbers are subject to change at the discretion of the vendor. Please don't quote prices or part numbers if attempting to order.

Oh man was I getting sick of looking at those torsion bars hanging down from my "Superlifted" X. They had to go. I started by reading every single last thread on this site in regards to coilover conversions; from how to's and reviews to RCD discontinuing there kit. Bottom line, and everyone says it on here, "Use the Search function! And read the entire thread!" If you want it, you can make it happen. Everyone said this kit conversion was impossible to find. Well...I got it done.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 11,921
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 12,663
  • 3_lgweb.jpg
    3_lgweb.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 11,923

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's get it done.

Tear it all down to this point. Identify other parts that may need to be replaced. Why not...you've got it all torn apart.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Weld Support Gussets to Shock Tower
7.jpg

9.jpg

Start Pre-Installing Mounting Brackets and Hardware.
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Pre-Install the Shock and make sure everything as adequate clearance.

15.jpg

I know I know, I tried to rotate it. Didn't work out.

Awesome work....

I would cleaned up the welds on the the bracket a LITTLE....but it looks awesome either way!

Ryan

great work did you make all the brackets and gussets your self or did you find a company to make them? made it look very easy kinda wanna find a beater so i can rip the front end apart now lol

How much clearance do you have between the coilover and frame, and the coilover and upper arm? Just curious since I've been told a 2.5 coilover would fit, but I have my doubts.

looks great :thumbsup:

where are those after shots from ?

4dr4life: Had a guy in texas make them. I believe he use to make them a while ago for guys on this forum or the ranger forum, i forgot which. Found his info on one of the threads and gave his email a try and had the brackets on the car 2 weeks later. Awesome guy to work with.

Mounty71: The coils clear the upper arms with ample space. I will get the measurements for you and post.

theaszman: Those shots are from GW National forrest! Only 2 hours away from us NoVa peoples.

Very nice work. Just wondering, on my coilover setup I have a collar that's made out of some synthetic material that goes between the top adjusting ring and spring so as not to gall up the aluminum adjusting ring. Do you have one?
I'm also just guessing, but is that near a 500# spring?
Might have to hook up with you guys and do some trails.

Nice write up. :)

Whats the specs on those shocks & coils? Extended/collapsed, length? Coil lb rated?

I will have to get the exact specs later on today. But they are the Fox Emulsion 2.0 Shocks.

Coil Springs are the 12" 800lbs Eibachs

I went this high because people complained about the 650s that came witht the RCD lift and they switched to 700s. I went 800 because I have a winch mounted up front that's adding 100 plus lbs. And I don't have a sway bar up front, so it helps keep it a bit more steady.

Very nice work. Just wondering, on my coilover setup I have a collar that's made out of some synthetic material that goes between the top adjusting ring and spring so as not to gall up the aluminum adjusting ring. Do you have one?
I'm also just guessing, but is that near a 500# spring?
Might have to hook up with you guys and do some trails.

Definitely come hit up GW National forest next time we go. Check out the final pages on the recent thread we had there. Lots of pics and videos.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324795&highlight=George&page=20

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4dr4life: Had a guy in texas make them. I believe he use to make them a while ago for guys on this forum or the ranger forum, i forgot which. Found his info on one of the threads and gave his email a try and had the brackets on the car 2 weeks later. Awesome guy to work with.

any idea if he's willing to make more?
I'm sure there are lots of folks on this board that are interested in this, just having a hard time to source the bracketry.

and nice write-up!

Back