How to: - Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
any idea if he's willing to make more?
I'm sure there are lots of folks on this board that are interested in this, just having a hard time to source the bracketry.

and nice write-up!

Yes is the short answer to the PM i just sent you.

And thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's awesome, the coil over look good on your Explorer.

how much did it all cost you

How much clearance do you have between the coilover and frame, and the coilover and upper arm? Just curious since I've been told a 2.5 coilover would fit, but I have my doubts.

Bump for some pictures of clearance around the coilover please.

x2... and if you can get some at full bump and some at full droop... want to see the differences..

thanks mike

My Quick Response. The upper arms are no where near the coil. I have adjusted the hight of the coil on the shock tube well bellow the Coil position. So that clearance is a non issue.

The Coils are mighty close to the frame though.

The the bump stops are about 2 inches away from the LCAs. With the 800lbs spring rate, I haven't had an issue yet. Might trim some of the rubber at some point.

Pictures to follow this weekend when I start work on the truck again.

I apologize...I was called into work both days this weekend...I promise the clearance pics will be taken Monday after work.

Setup is a nice idea, but the only thing I would change which is minor, is the bolt head location on the driverside coil over lower mount. If it were me, I would run the bolt from the inside out and put the nut on the outside away from the CV boot,keeping the boot from ripping open from the excess bolt sticking outward next to the boot.

17.jpg

I agreed 100%

I looked at it and when I permanently set it up i turned that bolt around.

My apologies for the confusion. The pics you cited were the mock up before I painted and reinstalled everything.

Could you send a little info to contact the guy that made those mounts for you. Can't find anyone willing/able to make the brakets.

Could you send a little info to contact the guy that made those mounts for you. Can't find anyone willing/able to make the brakets.

Refer to Picture #1

How much clearance do you have between the coilover and frame, and the coilover and upper arm? Just curious since I've been told a 2.5 coilover would fit, but I have my doubts.

2.5s wont work. i had a set of 2.5s come in before i had my 2.0s and had to send them back because they wont fit between the uca's plus the spring would hit the caliper.

2.5s wont work. i had a set of 2.5s come in before i had my 2.0s and had to send them back because they wont fit between the uca's plus the spring would hit the caliper.

Ok thanks, that's what I figured.

If that is true, then why is the OP stating he is using 2.5's and not 2.0's?

If that is true, then why is the OP stating he is using 2.5's and not 2.0's?

OP linked to 2.0's, and stated 2.0's in an earlier post

I will have to get the exact specs later on today. But they are the Fox Emulsion 2.0 Shocks.

Coil Springs are the 12" 800lbs Eibachs

I went this high because people complained about the 650s that came witht the RCD lift and they switched to 700s. I went 800 because I have a winch mounted up front that's adding 100 plus lbs. And I don't have a sway bar up front, so it helps keep it a bit more steady.

Link to the specs for the Fox Coilovers. This is where I purchased mine.

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/manufacturerID/2/sfID1/12/sfID2/113/sfID3/97/productID/101

My entire setup including Shocks, Springs, Conversion Mounts, and having someone come out to weld was around $900.

I think the 2.5" is referring to the ID of the coil spring, not the shock.

attachment.php

Edit: Yes, if you click on the link to the shocks, you can see that it uses 2.5" ID coils.

I think the 2.5" is referring to the ID of the coil spring, not the shock.

Edit: Yes, if you click on the link to the shocks, you can see that it uses 2.5" ID coils.

Exactly. The Fox 2.0 Emulsions use 2.5" Diameter Coils.

Sorry for any confusion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup:

Back