Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Replaced sending unit, still no fuel gauge reading

Old 01-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Punjab
Colorado
'94 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Replaced sending unit, still no fuel gauge reading

The fuel gauge on my 94 Limited hasn't worked (properly*) for probably 7 or 8 years. Every time I get to 300 miles on a tank I'd refill.
Well I finally got around to the task of cutting a hole in the floor, pulling out the old sending unit, removing the original pump and placing it on a new sending unit with a new strainer, and placing that back in the tank. And replaced the fuel filter.
Turn it on and still no reading at the gauge... fffffuuuuuuuuuuuu-!!!
What do I check next?

*I mentioned it hasn't worked properly for 7 or 8 years. What I mean by that is the gauge would often show an initial full reading when I turned the Explorer on. But over the course of a couple miles the gauge would slowly but surely drop to empty and remain there for the duration.
This morning when I turned it on after replacing the sending unit it just stayed dead on the empty side. I threw my hands in the air and came in to take a multi-hour/beer long break.

Please advise and thanks in advance!
Punjab is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Punjab
Colorado
'94 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
So I started looking over the old sending unit that I removed and sure enough the brass float has a hole in it. A fair sized one right where it connects to the wire hanger.

This made me question the sending unit I just put in. So I popped the lock ring back off and shined a flash light in there. I've currently got a full tank of gas and the float is clear up at the top of it, floating.
Turned the key and still reads empty. Although the gauge did move around a little again. When I turned it on it was already above empty and it dropped down and then slightly lifted again.
In conclusion, I don't think my sending unit is bad and I don't think my gauge is necessarily bad.
The truck runs great and doesn't cut out or experience a loss in fuel at all.

Anyone have any ideas?
Punjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Check the resitance at the fuel pump connector. If it reads good there, try checking the fuel gauge itself.

It may be just a bad connection in the plug-or a broken wire in the circuit.

This thread may help

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...der+resistance
Turdle is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: