Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Rough Idle when warmed up

Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Rough Idle when warmed up

I have a 94 explorer with 130k miles on it. Lately I have noticed that after I run it a good 20 minutes or so, turn it off, then restart it 5 or 10 minutes later i get a rough idle. It gets a little worse once i put it in gear, but after i give it gas it seems to clear up. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, all new plugs and wires, new air filter,cleaned MAF sensor and IAC valve. I dont know what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
hunt4lif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Anime
GREEN SCREAM!!
Hattiesburg, MS

'93 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
What brand of plugs and wires? Using the OE Motorcraft plugs usually gives the best results in terms of performance and a smooth idle, sometimes aftermarket plugs, especially gimmicky ones, give worse performance and rough idle. Cheap plug wires often are worse than old worn out factory ones.

You might also want to check the bolts on the lower/upper air intake to be sure they are torqued to spec, leaky intake gaskets can give a rough idle as well.

"I think man has always gone where he has been able to go, and I think that when man stops going where he can go, he will have lost a lot. Man has always been an explorer. To me, there's a fascination in thrusting out and going to new places. It's like going through a door because you find the door in front of you." - Michael Collins
Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
arco777
Elite Explorer

2x 1994 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I have the same issue, even with good quality plugs and wires. No codes are thrown either. Been living with the issue for years now, a minor nuisance since it doesn't happen often and the fix is throwing it in gear and driving 50 feet. Would be interwsted to know what the cause is. Heat soak of some component is one guess, perhaps an ignition component?

-2008 Mustang GT Bullitt #5560 - Brenspeed tuned
-1995 Bronco Eddie Bauer - 5.8L, exhaust and trans mods
arco777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I'm using the Bosch IR fusion plugs and Bosch premium wires. Would the intake gaskets only leak when hot?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
wood1
North of Edmonton
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rusty had a rough idle when hot and it was the elbow to the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator I think he said. Got soft when warm and leaked. It's in his latest thread, "Elvira".

List of useful TTB Threads
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Anime
GREEN SCREAM!!
Hattiesburg, MS

'93 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
^^^ Definitely check the regulator vacuum line.

Bosch plugs could be the cause of it. The only real way to find out is get 6 OE Motorcraft Platinum plugs and change them out.

Usually a leaky intake gasket would cause rough idle when cold, and seal back up once the engine warms up and metal expands, but there could be other things causing the gasket to leak, despite warm engine temps. Could also be a leaky vacuum cap as mentioned, and sometimes the plastic air intake tube can get holes or cracks in it.

Something else to keep in mind as the Explorer gets older is that the main computer, the PCM/ECU, in these, has bad capacitors that are known to leak corrosive electrolyte when they go, and this causes erratic operating issues as the caps continue to leak more and more until they eventually damage the circuit board beyond repair and the vehicle won't even start. You can always buy a refurb PCM/ECU for $100-200, but it's also possible to just buy new capacitors for a few bucks, and have them soldered in the replace the old ones.

"I think man has always gone where he has been able to go, and I think that when man stops going where he can go, he will have lost a lot. Man has always been an explorer. To me, there's a fascination in thrusting out and going to new places. It's like going through a door because you find the door in front of you." - Michael Collins
Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It was doing the rough idle thing before i change the plugs, and i replaced that rubber connector from the regulator to vacuum line when i replaced the regulator last week. the old one was really loose and sloppy fitting, so i figure for a couple bucks why not replace it while I'm working in that area... anyone think it could have anything to do with a ECT sensor?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
just noticed today that if you dont let it sit for more than 5 or 10 minutes before restart, the rough idle problem isnt there...this is driving me crazy, i know that it is only a minor issue, but i like for my vehicles to run right all the time.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
wood1
North of Edmonton

Vehicle Specs

EGR sticking or something maybe?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Would there be a way to test the egr before buying one to see if it helps?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Mettler
Monroe, WA
98 exploder sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was recently having the same problem. I had changed the electric solenoid on the IAC and cleaned it. But that didn't fix anything. I recently completely replaced the iac. Completely fixed my problem.
Mettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:22 AM   #12
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i should be getting a coupon from advance auto parts tomorrow, looks like i'll try to get a new IAC valve and see if it helps. I'll let you guys know something by wednesday.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
got the new IAC valve installed, and i still have the rough idle. I cant understand why it only happens when the car is warm and i let it sit 10 minutes or so before i start it back up. If i turn it off and start it right back up there is no problem at all, but if it sits for 10 minutes or so it gets a rough idle when i start it back up. When i put it in gear (forward or reverse) the rough idle gets rougher until i start driving then it goes away. Someone please have the solution to this, it is driving me crazy!!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
wood1
North of Edmonton

Vehicle Specs

check for codes?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=255962

Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i read the posts in the link you shared. seems really interesting, i have never noticed the CEL being on when the rough idle is happening... I'll check for codes int the morning, but doubt I'll find anything... Thanks for sharing the link!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #16
wood1
North of Edmonton

Vehicle Specs

No problem, some times codes are stored and the MIL isn't on. Hopefully there is something stored that points to your problem.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #17
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
just pulled the codes, i got a 116 and a 114 then the pause then a 111... checked the list from that link you sent and it said 116=Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range and 114=IAT sensor out of range... is this because the vehicle was cold and had not been started, or are theses two sensors bad?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
MrShorty
Spanish Fork, UT
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, running the test on a cold engine is a common cause of those codes. If you let the engine warm up and then repeat the test, do they go away?

Another test I would do: put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the fuel system is up to snuff when it is idling poorly.

'98 Chev K1500 Suburban SLT 4x4
MrShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
just checked the codes after it warmed up and got two 111's...fuel pressure is reading around 37 psi when its warmed up
Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
gmanpaint
Torsion Bar Free
since 2010

94 XLT-95 FX4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
It is a bad Temp sensor.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...148&cc=1119631

Been here, done that already on the 94.

There are (2) sensors, so make sure you change the one that has a cone on the end of it, next to the thermostat housing.

The Black Hole

Pugly
gmanpaint is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
idle problem, rough idle, warm engine