Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.


Ford Explorer Generation Guide

2016 Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Elite Rides Reviews Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

PRNDM light staying on

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Brownie11
2011 XLT AWD
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
PRNDM light staying on

'11 XLT -- After exiting the vehicle, letting all the various lights and screens "time out" and shut off, the PRNDM shift-position indicator light in the speedometer is staying on (indefinitely). Also noticed that the red highlighted gear position isn't lighting. If you fiddle with the shifter lock button, and can get the red highlight light to come on, then the PRNDM light will properly go out along with the domelights, etc. The Dealer admits it's odd and is going to do some research to figure out what part to order and how to fix this. Will keep you updated, but thought in meantime someone might have similar experience?
Brownie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )


Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including the blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, add your own avatar to your posts, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today. Your support of the forum is greatly appreciated.


Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
OneofMany
Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
94 expl 4x4
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 152

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Not that im an expert on that particular vehicle but from previous experience it sounds like there is an ignition switch issue. the gear selector and ignition switch are linked and are often problematic. try wiggling the ign. switch and gear selector.
OneofMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area
 
peterk9's Avatar
2014 Lincoln MKT AWD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,537

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie11 View Post
'11 XLT -- After exiting the vehicle, letting all the various lights and screens "time out" and shut off, the PRNDM shift-position indicator light in the speedometer is staying on (indefinitely). Also noticed that the red highlighted gear position isn't lighting. If you fiddle with the shifter lock button, and can get the red highlight light to come on, then the PRNDM light will properly go out along with the domelights, etc. The Dealer admits it's odd and is going to do some research to figure out what part to order and how to fix this. Will keep you updated, but thought in meantime someone might have similar experience?
Welcome to the Forum Brownie11.
The way you are describing the problem it almost seems like it is a issue with a poor electrical contact since wiggling the shifter. I don't recall a similar post with this problem although other members ahve reported getting a 'Shift to Park' message after parking their vehicle. It seems that was cured by replacing the shifter.
By the way, if you add 'XLT' after 2011 in the left column profile you won't have to identify your Ex model everytime you post.
Good luck and Season's Greetings.

Peter




__________________
Peter 2014 Lincoln MKT, 201A, 3.5L Ecoboost.
Previous rides;'99 Windstar; '02,'06 & 09 4WD Toyota Highlander Limiteds & 2011 AWD Explorer Ltd.
peterk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI
 
FordService's Avatar
2014
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,151

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie11 View Post
'11 XLT -- After exiting the vehicle, letting all the various lights and screens "time out" and shut off, the PRNDM shift-position indicator light in the speedometer is staying on (indefinitely). Also noticed that the red highlighted gear position isn't lighting. If you fiddle with the shifter lock button, and can get the red highlight light to come on, then the PRNDM light will properly go out along with the domelights, etc. The Dealer admits it's odd and is going to do some research to figure out what part to order and how to fix this. Will keep you updated, but thought in meantime someone might have similar experience?
Hi Brownie11!

You've already done what I would advise off the bat - you went to your dealership! Additionally, I am happy to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get things rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneofMany View Post
Not that im an expert on that particular vehicle but from previous experience it sounds like there is an ignition switch issue. the gear selector and ignition switch are linked and are often problematic. try wiggling the ign. switch and gear selector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk9 View Post
Welcome to the Forum Brownie11.
The way you are describing the problem it almost seems like it is a issue with a poor electrical contact since wiggling the shifter. I don't recall a similar post with this problem although other members ahve reported getting a 'Shift to Park' message after parking their vehicle. It seems that was cured by replacing the shifter.
By the way, if you add 'XLT' after 2011 in the left column profile you won't have to identify your Ex model everytime you post.
Good luck and Season's Greetings.

Peter
Great suggestions, OneofMany and Peter!

Have a great weekend,

Crystal




__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
keithd
Ford Explorer 2011
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2011 xlt gear lights stay on

Same problem, but of course it doesnt do it at the dealer, its like taking a kid to the doctor, he gets well immediately. If they can't duplicate problem after today ill pick the vehicle back up and wait til it happens again. Glad i got the extended warranty. This will be the last Ford I EVER buy.
keithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area
 
peterk9's Avatar
2014 Lincoln MKT AWD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,537

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
Same problem, but of course it doesnt do it at the dealer, its like taking a kid to the doctor, he gets well immediately. If they can't duplicate problem after today ill pick the vehicle back up and wait til it happens again. Glad i got the extended warranty. This will be the last Ford I EVER buy.
I assume that your last statement is based on more than just this post!
My 2011 has been virually flawless over the almost 2 years I've had it. Of course if I had a extended list of problems that I've had with it, I would likely also share your feeling. FYI, I have seen a few similar posts by members on the Toyota Highlander Forum about their vehicles when I was active on there.

Peter




__________________
Peter 2014 Lincoln MKT, 201A, 3.5L Ecoboost.
Previous rides;'99 Windstar; '02,'06 & 09 4WD Toyota Highlander Limiteds & 2011 AWD Explorer Ltd.
peterk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Brownie11
2011 XLT AWD
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
The dealer replaced the gear shift lever...and now all is well. Note to Keithd: the problem was intermittent, but I found that if I left the selector in PARK and toggled the release button on the backside of the shift lever, I could often duplicate the problem.
Brownie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
vig1116
monmouth, NJ
2015 sport
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 307

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
this is happening a lot more often than i realized.... This has been the biggest headache for me the last 3-4 months or so trying to get it fixed....
vig1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
dousley
2011
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dk Exp New Post old issue 2011 Explorer shift indicator lights

As on previous post I have seen about the shift lever indicator on the dash my lights are now own all time and the low pitch hummm.
I have followed numerous in cab fixes to no evail.
Ford Dealership first told me the battery was bad and computer didnt like that hence lights on on indicator.
Now the is on 80 percent of time I stop my vehicle which is a nusiance and im not sure if that drains the battery or not.

Sorry for mispelled words

Thanks
DO
dousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
BlueSilver
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Gear selector lights stay on dash

Exterior courtesy and interior lights go off once door is shut but the PND lights in instrument panel stay illuminated. Everything else is off. Any ideas?




__________________
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero sedan
BlueSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area
 
peterk9's Avatar
2014 Lincoln MKT AWD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,537

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
I know that the button on the shifter has caused problems with the "shit to Park" warning coming on. Not sure if this may be caused by the button as well. Next time it happens, try clicking the button a few times to see if the lights go off. Replacing the gear shift cleared up that issue.

NOTE: I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same issue.

Peter




__________________
Peter 2014 Lincoln MKT, 201A, 3.5L Ecoboost.
Previous rides;'99 Windstar; '02,'06 & 09 4WD Toyota Highlander Limiteds & 2011 AWD Explorer Ltd.
peterk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #12
dco43054
cmh
11 XLT
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,091

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSilver View Post
Exterior courtesy and interior lights go off once door is shut but the PND lights in instrument panel stay illuminated. Everything else is off. Any ideas?
Disconnect the negative battery cable, wait 30 seconds, reconnect. See if the condition persists.

If you are lucky, it's just a body computer issue and a reset will fix it.
dco43054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #13
BlueSilver
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dco43054 View Post
Disconnect the negative battery cable, wait 30 seconds, reconnect. See if the condition persists.

If you are lucky, it's just a body computer issue and a reset will fix it.
Thanks to both




__________________
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero sedan
BlueSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Suggest this thread to friends:


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dome light turns off, when headlights pulled on bozo4ford Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0 09-19-2011 10:32 PM
94 xlt check oil light is staying on explorernoobie Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers 0 08-18-2011 12:18 PM
1st and 2nd Gen Light Guide! BrianDye Performance Lighting 11 01-12-2010 10:43 PM
Theft light staying on. akvanden Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 1 01-10-2010 10:22 PM
Glove Box Light Assembly - 2006 X jdc28va Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers 1 12-18-2008 12:04 PM



Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!




Top of Page

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.



US Flag
We Support Our Troops!


Copyright 2015 - 1996 Rick Horwitz Photography



Ford Motor Company is not involved in the management of this site in any way.



All tips on this site are for use at your own risk and discretion.

Modifying the suspension on any vehicle will cause changes to its handling characteristics.



Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.