Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

PRNDM light staying on

Old 12-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Brownie11
2011 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
PRNDM light staying on

'11 XLT -- After exiting the vehicle, letting all the various lights and screens "time out" and shut off, the PRNDM shift-position indicator light in the speedometer is staying on (indefinitely). Also noticed that the red highlighted gear position isn't lighting. If you fiddle with the shifter lock button, and can get the red highlight light to come on, then the PRNDM light will properly go out along with the domelights, etc. The Dealer admits it's odd and is going to do some research to figure out what part to order and how to fix this. Will keep you updated, but thought in meantime someone might have similar experience?
Brownie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
OneofMany
Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
94 expl 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not that im an expert on that particular vehicle but from previous experience it sounds like there is an ignition switch issue. the gear selector and ignition switch are linked and are often problematic. try wiggling the ign. switch and gear selector.
OneofMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie11 View Post
'11 XLT -- After exiting the vehicle, letting all the various lights and screens "time out" and shut off, the PRNDM shift-position indicator light in the speedometer is staying on (indefinitely). Also noticed that the red highlighted gear position isn't lighting. If you fiddle with the shifter lock button, and can get the red highlight light to come on, then the PRNDM light will properly go out along with the domelights, etc. The Dealer admits it's odd and is going to do some research to figure out what part to order and how to fix this. Will keep you updated, but thought in meantime someone might have similar experience?
Welcome to the Forum Brownie11.
The way you are describing the problem it almost seems like it is a issue with a poor electrical contact since wiggling the shifter. I don't recall a similar post with this problem although other members ahve reported getting a 'Shift to Park' message after parking their vehicle. It seems that was cured by replacing the shifter.
By the way, if you add 'XLT' after 2011 in the left column profile you won't have to identify your Ex model everytime you post.
Good luck and Season's Greetings.

Peter

Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie11 View Post
Hi Brownie11!

You've already done what I would advise off the bat - you went to your dealership! Additionally, I am happy to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get things rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneofMany View Post
Not that im an expert on that particular vehicle but from previous experience it sounds like there is an ignition switch issue. the gear selector and ignition switch are linked and are often problematic. try wiggling the ign. switch and gear selector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk9 View Post
Welcome to the Forum Brownie11.
The way you are describing the problem it almost seems like it is a issue with a poor electrical contact since wiggling the shifter. I don't recall a similar post with this problem although other members ahve reported getting a 'Shift to Park' message after parking their vehicle. It seems that was cured by replacing the shifter.
By the way, if you add 'XLT' after 2011 in the left column profile you won't have to identify your Ex model everytime you post.
Good luck and Season's Greetings.

Peter
Great suggestions, OneofMany and Peter!

Have a great weekend,

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordService is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
keithd
Ford Explorer 2011

Vehicle Specs

2011 xlt gear lights stay on

Same problem, but of course it doesnt do it at the dealer, its like taking a kid to the doctor, he gets well immediately. If they can't duplicate problem after today ill pick the vehicle back up and wait til it happens again. Glad i got the extended warranty. This will be the last Ford I EVER buy.
keithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
Same problem, but of course it doesnt do it at the dealer, its like taking a kid to the doctor, he gets well immediately. If they can't duplicate problem after today ill pick the vehicle back up and wait til it happens again. Glad i got the extended warranty. This will be the last Ford I EVER buy.
I assume that your last statement is based on more than just this post!
My 2011 has been virually flawless over the almost 2 years I've had it. Of course if I had a extended list of problems that I've had with it, I would likely also share your feeling. FYI, I have seen a few similar posts by members on the Toyota Highlander Forum about their vehicles when I was active on there.

Peter

Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Brownie11
2011 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
The dealer replaced the gear shift lever...and now all is well. Note to Keithd: the problem was intermittent, but I found that if I left the selector in PARK and toggled the release button on the backside of the shift lever, I could often duplicate the problem.
Brownie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
vig1116
monmouth, NJ
'11 Limited

Vehicle Specs

this is happening a lot more often than i realized.... This has been the biggest headache for me the last 3-4 months or so trying to get it fixed....
vig1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
dousley

Vehicle Specs

Dk Exp New Post old issue 2011 Explorer shift indicator lights

As on previous post I have seen about the shift lever indicator on the dash my lights are now own all time and the low pitch hummm.
I have followed numerous in cab fixes to no evail.
Ford Dealership first told me the battery was bad and computer didnt like that hence lights on on indicator.
Now the is on 80 percent of time I stop my vehicle which is a nusiance and im not sure if that drains the battery or not.

Sorry for mispelled words

Thanks
DO
dousley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: