• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar rating

nytefog

Reaction score
City, State
Hopewell, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD
How do you know what rate torsion bar that you have? I looked on the sticker on the door and it say under SPR/1F. What does this mean? I have a 1998 XLT 5.0.

Also how do you add pictures to you posts?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by nytefog
How do you know what rate torsion bar that you have? I looked on the sticker on the door and it say under SPR/1F. What does this mean? I have a 1998 XLT 5.0.

Also how do you add pictures to you posts?

Thanks!

is that what is says under 'spring' <-i think that is what the door says

i have no idea what that would be

From weakest to strongest

H
F (Yours)
D
B

I'm pretty sure it's in that order but I think I'm missing a letter??
you can do a search on torsion bar, be patient there are alot of threads on this subject..
anyway hope this helps

as far as the pics go you need to host them somewhere and create a link to them a few people use Yahoo, MSN Photopoint, I use Ofoto..

Well shoot, I just realized I have H bars. Hopefully I don't pull a Gerald!

Originally posted by Alec
Well shoot, I just realized I have H bars. Hopefully I don't pull a Gerald!
Alec, You do have the lightest explorer made. 2door, 2x4, v6, etc.
Just don't use your torsion bar as a skid plate and you'll be fine :)

Nope, I don't use it as a skid plate, that's what the cast iron lower A-arms are for!

Alec, when you cranked the bars on yours, did you get a full 2 inch lift?? The reason I'm asking it because you have the weakest bars and my 4-door has the F bars, which are weak in comparison to the B bars. I am concerned that when I install the Warrior shackles and try to crank my bars, I'll crank till the cows come home and I won't be able to match the lift the shackles gave me. Should I be concerned??

Actually, I went up 2" and I still have another inch in there if I want it. My monoleafs are sagging a bit so my front is actually a little higher than the rear. I didn't have a problem at all matching the shackles.

I also have "F" rated bars. Can someone explain exactly what this means?

Originally posted by ok89
I also have "F" rated bars. Can someone explain exactly what this means?

It's simply the spring rate. H is the softest, B is the stiffest.

ok89, there are different stiffness ratings on the torsion bars that Ford put into each Explorer. For example, a 2wd Sport is the lightest of the Explorer line, so it will likely have the weakest (least stiff) torsion bars. A 4wd Sport may have the next stiffest bars in line because of the added weight of the fron axle and t-case. A 2wd 4-door is heavier than a Sport, so it might get the next stiffest bars (like yours and mine are F rated). Finally, a 4wd 4-door has the heaviest front end and might come with the stiffest B rated bars.

Now all that is fine, but Ford apparently doesn't have that easy of a system for choosing which truck gets which bars. For example, GJarrett has a 4-door 4wd Eddie Bauer, but his did not come with the stiffest (B rated) bars. Maybe Ford wanted the EB suspension to be softer. :confused: Who knows? :confused: Maybe the 4-door 4wd XLT's with the towing package came with the B bars to handle the heavy load. Maybe trucks with the V8's have the B bars because of the engine wieght.

Anyway, it's just the bar's stiffness rating.

Originally posted by TarHeel085
ok is this letter under 'TR'?? cause if its right, my 99 Sport has D rated bars. :D :mattmoon: :D

Makes sense that yours has D's. Mine does. Both are 2 door 4x4 v6's.

Thanks Alec. I hope I am as fortunate with mine as you were with yours. I'm hoping for as close to 2" with the TT/shackle lift as I can get.

Bars

I have a V8 and the tow package. My bars are F rated too! Go figure.

Rating

I don't under stand something. Under SPR mine says 1F. i though that the first Letter was the front springs and the second the rear leafs? What does the 1 mean?

Ok, did some digging a sifting...according to this thread,

Dead Link Removed

under SPR on the door sticker, the first letter is the front spring code and the second letter is the rear spring code. Not sure what that 1 is about.

Nevermind, here it is. You might be a pretty lucky guy. This was taken from the thread I posted above.

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
Ok, talked to Ford again and compared part numbers.

these are the numbers they gave me:

D code=F57Z-5B326/7-C (2DR #)

B code=F57Z-5B326/7-A (4DR #)

I see how people would get confused, the last letter is the bar code.(C is for D etc.)

Here are the different codes strongest to weakest:

B
D
E
F
K
L

When I told the parts guy we were tightenig the adjuster screw, he chuckled and said. "Yer gunna tear your tires if you do that!" I said to myself, "That's what alignments are for, DUH!"

Looks like the V8 AWD might get the stiffest bars.

thats why mine rides like crap with my 2.25, 2 drop. i have mad stiff bars

Mine are 2's then cause mine says 2b

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how Ford decides which bars go into which but as far as Geralds truck he has the B rated bars ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15264 scroll down to the YJ Shackles in the second post ) and it doesn't have anything to do with it being and EB, My X is an XLT with the B rated bars, there's a lady here at work that I just looked at her X and it has D rated bars and its a 98 EB

I can't imagine why there seems to be no standard when it comes to the torsion bars........

Back