Door ajar warning issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar warning issues

cityofredmond

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Intercepter
While driving this unit from police station to our shop I could not get the door ajar warning to quit. I tried opening and closing the door several times while stopped and driving to no avail. After arrving here and opening the shop bay door while leaving the vehicle drivers door open and engine running, after getting back in the vehicle and closing the door the warning went off. Do these vehicles still have the old style door latch switch or is it something new?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While driving this unit from police station to our shop I could not get the door ajar warning to quit. I tried opening and closing the door several times while stopped and driving to no avail. After arrving here and opening the shop bay door while leaving the vehicle drivers door open and engine running, after getting back in the vehicle and closing the door the warning went off...

Welcome to the forum, cityofredmond! This sounds like a frustrating issue. If it happens again, I recommend reaching out to our Fleet folks so they can help. They can be reached at 1-800-343-5338.

Crystal

Welcome to the forum, cityofredmond! This sounds like a frustrating issue. If it happens again, I recommend reaching out to our Fleet folks so they can help. They can be reached at 1-800-343-5338.

Crystal
I understand that but my question bottom line is are the door switches still in the latch like they used to be or are the some sort of proximaty type of switch.

I understand that but my question bottom line is are the door switches still in the latch like they used to be or are the some sort of proximaty type of switch.

Yes that is in the door latch mechanism. Has the upfit of aftermarket equipment been done? The reason I ask is there is a wire in the police harness for the driver door being ajar.

I will look into the schematics....wondering if that was utilized or not.

I looked at the schematics and the latch within the door is a physical switch that is "closed" when the door is closed. It sends a ground signal to the BCM. The driver door ajar status wire for the police wiring should show ground when the door is shut. First I would determine if the upfit included utilizing this wire otherwise I would suspect a faulty switch or faulty wiring/connection at the switch.

I looked at the schematics and the latch within the door is a physical switch that is "closed" when the door is closed. It sends a ground signal to the BCM. The driver door ajar status wire for the police wiring should show ground when the door is shut. First I would determine if the upfit included utilizing this wire otherwise I would suspect a faulty switch or faulty wiring/connection at the switch.

Thanks! I know in the older vehicles we were always getting dirt in the switch mounted in the latch. I would think htis unit is a little new for dirt but still a good place to check. Especially since it is being intermittent. The vehicle is still under full warranty but a lot of times that doesn't work with our schedule of vehicle use.

When working on vehicles with the key in the ignition and the door open I often times use a screwdriver and close the latching mechanism on the door to get rid of annoying door open reminders. May want to play with it a little that way see if you come up with anything.

I remember this happening in the early to mid 2000 models as well.

I would check the ground wire running into the door panel, sounds to me like a faulty ground somewhere.

Why not just take it to the dealer and have them check it out? It's under full warranty.

Peter

potentially this?

Service Bulletin No.: TSB-14-0011
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , STRUCTURE
NHTSA ID Number: 10054930
All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin expand
Details close
0 Associated Documents
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
SUMMARY:
FORD/LINCOLN: WHEN ALL DOORS ARE CLOSED, THE DOOR AJAR LAMP WILL ILLUMINATE. MODEL 2011-2013 EDGE, EXPLORER, FLEX, MKX, MKT. *PE

I checked that TSB through Ford and it subs to the following....unfortunately not for the 2014 but as you said....potentially....

TSB 14-0154 DOOR AJAR LAMP REMAINS ILLUMINATED WITH DOORS CLOSED
Publication Date: August 25, 2014

FORD: 2011-2013 Edge
2013 Explorer, Flex

LINCOLN: 2011-2013 MKX
2013 MKT

This article supersedes TSB 14-0083 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2013 Edge, MKX, 2013 Flex and MKT vehicles built on or before 7/15/2013, and 2013 Explorer vehicles built on or before 8/15/2013 may exhibit a door ajar lamp illuminated with all doors closed.

Any update from the OP?

Hi All,

I am need of some help. My driver door light is saying the doors open when the door is closed. If I slam the door a few times it will go out, but comes on again when I open and close the door. Unfortunately my 2013 Ford Explorer is now out of warrenty and I am trying to do this myself. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Dannyhob. :wavey:
Not sure what you mean by driver's door light? Are you referring to the puddle light on the outside mirror? If so, have you checked if the passenger side is okay?
It would also be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin.

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.

I will update my profile now so it shows up what Explorer I have. It is a 2013 Ford Explorer.

It's the warning on my dash that's on. It's telling me that the drivers door is still open. It basically has a small red picture of the car with my door open on the dash. I'm guessing there is a sensor somewhere on all of the doors that tell the driver that they didn't close them correctly. It's only the drivers door that's having the problem.

Thanks again

TSB 15-0013

FORD: 2011-2013 Edge
2013 Flex
2013-2014 Explorer

LINCOLN: 2011-2013 MKX
2013 MKT

This article supersedes TSB 14-0224 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2013 Edge, MKX, 2013 Flex and MKT vehicles built on or before 7/15/2013 and 2013-2014 Explorer vehicles built on or before 8/15/2013 may exhibit a door ajar lamp illuminated with all doors closed.
ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1.Use the Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) service tool or equivalent to identify the suspect door.
a.On Edge and MKX vehicles remove the affected door latch. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-14.
b.On Explorer, Flex and MKT vehicles remove the door trim panel from the door with the affected door latch. Refer to WSM, Section 501-05.
2.Verify the latch is in the open position, connect Essential Special Service Tool (ESST) to the door latch electrical connector.
a.If the tool is left connected to the latch in a closed position, the tool will thermally shut down after approximately two (2) minutes and take ten (10) minutes to recover.
b.For US dealers both the original ESST 501-408 and the new ESST 501-408A are acceptable for this procedure. Canadian dealers use ESST 501-408A.
3.Connect the ESST to the vehicle's 12-volt power supply.
4.Start the engine.
5.Turn the ESST on.
a.A green light verifies the tool is powered on.
6.Actuate the door latch from the open to the closed position, then back to the open position with a screwdriver or similar tool.
a.Two (2) clicks will confirm complete actuation.
7.Repeat step six, twenty (20) times.
a.The latch must be cycled in this manner to make sure all electrical contacts are cleaned effectively to prevent a repeat repair.
8.Make sure the latch is left in the open position.
a.On Edge and MKX vehicles reinstall the cycled door latch. Refer to WSM, Section 501-14.
b.On Explorer, Flex and MKT vehicles reinstall the door trim panel. Refer to WSM, Section 501-05.

Wow. The door state sensor is tied to the latch? I guess I never looked on the door latch for a little plunger switch. That would be too easy and much cheaper to deal with.

This will continue to keep happening every 6 months. Have fun. I will not get another explorer because of this. Irritating and frustrating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This will continue to keep happening every 6 months. Have fun. I will not get another explorer because of this. Irritating and frustrating.

If that's the worse of it, I think I can handle that. The SUV has more than satisfied me....:exp:

Back