GWNF Fall Wheeling Trip

VBVA

Go Dukes!
Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL
Starting a new thread for a potential trip to GWNF, VA for the fall of '02. I have spoken with morrisey0 and Jason_25 and they are both interested in going. Donkeyboy has also expressed interest in the trip, but due to scheduling conflicts he may not be able to attend a run this fall. I attend school in Harrisonburg, VA which is only 20 or so minutes from GWNF, so I am able to make a run almost any given weekend. The only weekends probably won't be able to go are weekends that Virginia Tech has a home football game (my dad makes me go with him :D ). So, If you are interested in the possibilty of making a wheeling trip sometime in the fall to GWNF, respond to this thread and we could get this trip rolling.

One more thing, if anybody knows of some good trails with length for stockers to run, put some directions down here as well. Thanks!

***The dates for the run are set for November 9-10.***

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by VBVASploder
One more thing, if anybody knows of some good trails with length for stockers to run, put some directions down here as well. Thanks!

I think there is hardly anything that can not be done by a stocker, except the hard-line at Dictum, which has a bypass and the last obstacle at Kephart. But Kephart is anyhow a no-outlet trail and you can turn around before the obstacle.

But, you find excellent trail info at the GWNF site.

Are there any road directions? I can read the maps pretty well, but I don't have GPS, so it might be hard for me to find some of those trails. Thanks for the site though, it gives some great information on what we can expect.

Actually, you find all the trails marked in the DeLorme Virginia Atlas & Gazetter, most of them at page 72, most even with the trail name. The coordinates are marked in the Atlas, so you shouldn't have aproblem.

Hope this helps ;)

GWNF

Been visiting there a lot lately on the 4wheeler and dirtbikes...I think I talked my husband into taking the trucks next time. Keep us posted on which dates you are aiming for...

GWNF

I AM IN and willing to go any weekend except Oct. 19, 20 and 26,27. Getting married on 19th and honeymooning through the 27th.

HEHE..........I quoted myself!

Robb

Might be able to count my wife and I in, just have to make sure of the dates!

Happy trails!!

Set a date

Set a date.

I would be up for something in October or Nov.

Sept is pretty packed for me right now.

Like Michael said most all of the trails in GW are passible with stock vehicles and some care.

It looks like early November would be the best time for a lot of people (I hope). I will be able to set a date when I get back to school in 3 weeks. Look back here around then I guess. Later on...

i may be interested if i can talk to wife into this..

her family lives in fairfax, va which doesn't appear to be real far from GWNF. i may can work it out to drive up to "visit" the in-laws and just head down to the trails while she hangs out with her family. early nov is probably good for me. i should be locked by then.
its pretty far for me, so if i can work it out this way, i'm in, but only if that works out.

I'm definately interested. The only weekends I see that are bad for me at this point are 5-6 Oct and 9-10 Nov.

It's only a couple of hours away for me and I'm willing to head down on short notice. I'll try to keep up on the posts better...

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Keep me updated.

I am really interested? Can people also come with the group even though they don't have an x. Some of the guys in my 4x4 club would definitely be interested. Could make for a nice size group of people just depending on the dates.

i'm in

i'm in almost any date in october or early nov.

i've just looked at page 72 in my virginia gazetter.

there's some very nice stuff just over the border in wv also. have any of you guys been to spruce knob,wv? and done any wheelin in that area?

i have a lot of nsgs maps, i'll see what i can find for around there.

i met up with jot017 yesterday. a good guy.
he took some pictures of my new truck for me and posted them in elite section with his pictures.

wheel on over and have a look.

peter

JasonB if you do go and are in Fairfax let me know, I drive right out 66 when i go. DC area trips usual;ly meet up at 234 and 66 which is about 15 min west of Fairfax on Rt 66.

As for other makes going that would be up to whoever leads, my feeling though is that if we have a large group (8 +) we should just keep it in the Explorer/Ranger family. My opinion only, since I wheel with mostly Peej's- I wont miss them on the trail.

Most of the stuff Ive checked out in WVA has been gated, but if you know different l would be interested to run it.

I'm in

I can do any of those dates.

anytime will be good for me. there are a couple of shows i Oct but I can definitely work around those.

OK, I will throw a date: Nov. 9 (sat.)

Beginning of nov. seems to be a good time, and I would like a week or two to settle down from the wedding and honeymoon. I agree with SteveVB that if we get at least 8-10 members (or trucks) of this forum to go, it would be nice to make it an X/Ranger thing. I am just as interested in meeting some members than going rootin'.

I will also be looking into camping the night before we go. The fiance (wife by then) and I love to camp when it starts to get a little cold in Va. I am not sure if she will be joining me because she isn't all that interested in 4wheeling and is a little scared of meeting "online" people in real life. There are a bunch of state parks (with camping) and private campgrounds in the area if anyone else is interested.

So, how does Nov. 9 sound to everyone?

Robb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back from OBX and ready to enjoy my last week of summer before heading back to school :( . Robb, November 9th sounds like a good date for me right now. Tech football is away that weekend (yes, I am a huge Hokie football fan), so I will be in H-burg that weekend.

Glad to see you guys talked about this trip while I was gone last week...

Back