GWNF Spring Run (2014)

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
It is cold and snowy outside. But that will pass. Then it will be time to return to the George Washington National Forest.

I have talked to Fishfood and he is ready as well. We did not make any date or destination plans. We just decided we need to make a GWNF run.

I am thinking something like the last weekend in April or the first weekend in May. Nothing is in stone. So we are open to discussion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm on a rampage to finish my ranger and get it out this year. I'm a lot farther than last year, got the lift on and engine in. I have all the parts too, just hard to find time. You can count me in this year though, I'll bring something to wheel even if it's my stock beater 98 explorer i have haha

I'm down for at least a day trip during one of those weekends.

pick a date any date

Uncle,

thanks for posting.... pass the word .....I am not very good with the forums... I get all lost and 20 layers in and things.

couple thoughts
1. my schedule is pretty open so I am willing to open up the base (camp fishfood) to you guys for several events this year.... so pick a couple events and we will find a way to make it happen.

2. I am negotiating with neighbor to buy the two tracts to the east of current trails.....the only reason I am considering is so that we can expand our trails... I should be able to triple what is there now since adjacent property has a little less topo. If anyone wants to help me walk around and explore the potential please let me know.... my offer on the land will be based on how much potential there is for fun trails. it wont be ready for this spring but can have some trails there for summer and fall trips.

3. I am trying to find a way to pay Rick for membership and whenever I try I get redirected all over the place and get lost.....if anyone has some address email or phone that would allow me to h get in touch it would be appreciated.

4. anyone know what happened to the pics form the fall trip?

Anyone planning a run in the near future?

ready for a trip

just spoke with john a while back and he is ready and so am I why don't you throw out some dates.... I can host up at camp spike just about any time. maybe we can do something while it is still warm enough to enjoy the river too.

just spoke with john a while back and he is ready and so am I why don't you throw out some dates.... I can host up at camp spike just about any time. maybe we can do something while it is still warm enough to enjoy the river too.

Hey buddy got your PM.my box is full and been slacking on getting my membership back also.have a ton of very important message saved I dont wanna lose so haven't deleted them..
but yea my explorer is back up and running.cant thank you or domx enough for yalls help last time ;) ive been taking it easy on the explorer lately till I finish the ranger.I also have been swamped at work and hurt my back really bad.

I would LOVE LOVE to make one of these trips but dont know if I wanna risk driving the ex on trails.if I can finally get some dirt tires on my bike I would LOVE to bring it up maybe in the ranger and ATLEAST make a trip..

I miss it up there for sure.its so nice up there!!! Im tagged in this thread now so hopefully we can set something up and if work permits I can make it!!;)

Hope all is well with you and cant wait to get back up there:salute:

Ditto on the Labor Day thing...No Go.
I would ideally do a day trip (Saturday), but that doesn't bar anyone else from camping.
Mid september would be my goal.

I have put almost 1000 miles on my Ranger and it hasn't even been on dirt yet. Just got the last piece for my front driveshaft today and will be ready for the next run for sure!!!!!

I wouldn't mind hitting the trails by the end of this month. I would want to trailer my truck there so I don't have to limit my fun and I can still get it home. Is there room to park my truck/ trailer?

Let's get this going as I haven't made a run yet!!!!!

dates for the spring (oops) run

I am replying to several post in this message so bear with me.

is there room for haul rig and trailer? we just had a weekend with a monster rv and a thirty something foot camper as well so yes I can park your haul rig/ trailer. it will be tight but if you can drive it /back it then I have parking spot for you. that being said I can maybe park 3-4 combos.

Dates:
September 20, for a day trip in the GWNF to either shoe, stony, or peavine (final destination to decided on thursday) followed by late afternoon jackassing around at camp spike and riverside trails.

accommodations:
For those who now like to camp indoors, the basement is finished (sort of) with showers, toilets, media room, pool table, fridge, two full size futons for sleeping and lots of floor space for cots and air mattresses. uncle meat already has dibs on the guest bedroom, and there are to other sofas on the second floor, I have dibs on the 3rd floor.

For the outdoor campers lots of places but no electrical hook-ups yet, and of course toilets and showers are in basement. I don't have many towels so you might want to bring towels for swimming and or showering.

Food:
since it is nearly impossible to predict who when anyone is coming.... and turn out is usually small, I will be keeping it simple, and can throw out a few hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill with some munchies beer etc and maybe some coffee in the morning. if you have something specific that you want then please bring it. Grill will be available for others to use.

typical itinerary:
Thursday- final post announcing destination and trail start time and location.

Friday - arrivals, camp set -up, drinking ,maybe some swimming or jackassing around, followed by more drinking , swapping lies etc.
Saturday- early start to national forest, trail riding and drive back roads? to camp spike.drinking ,maybe some swimming or jackassing around, followed by more drinking , swapping lies etc.
Sunday- hangovers, coffee and doing whatever, shooting, swimming, fishing etc.

in the event that 20th is not a good date then whole itinerary can be moved out to the following weekend (9/27). Chime back and tell me which date you want. if I hear nothing I will assume 20th is good.

I'm in for an early arrival on Sat morning the 20th and staying for just the day. My trailer is only 18ft so it doesn't take up a ton of room.

We finally get you to come and you only want one day??? What if my ranger breaks down? I was gonna drive yours and you tow mine haha

I guess that weekend sounds fine. Guess I need to do at least a couple things to get the ranger road worthy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

question on the trailered rig

Regarding the trailer rig, and arrivals etc.

For those just doing the trail ride in the national forest (day trippers), I will list a rendezvous point somewhere near the trailhead of whatever trail gets decided upon. I am thinking the meeting time will in the 9:30 range based on a departure time from camp spike of 8:00 am ish (allowing for time it takes to get a bunch of hungover knuckleheads moving in the morning). The rendezvous point will most likely not have trailer parking (or may not even have any kind of parking).

Is the trailered rig street legal? if not the only place that you will be able to wheel is on my private property. In that case I am not sure why you would be arriving on Saturday morning since we wont be back at my place until late afternoon. What would you do when we are wheeling in the national forest? I am probably missing some info. If you want, I am sure you can be a passenger in someone's ride when we are in the forest.

Anyway if you plan on arriving at camp spike on Saturday morning then you will need to plan on arriving early like 7:30 at latest.

Back