KKM & Street Scenes Grille installed!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KKM & Street Scenes Grille installed!!!!

Magicfan25

Reaction score
City, State
Central FL and WPB Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport SOHC
I partially (lol) installed my KKM last night. I kept dropping the nut into the bulkhead where the bracket mounts, then I noticed that if you reverse the bracket, I can hook it to the bolt that holds the fan shield onto the radiator. I fixed that today, and also noticed in my hurry that I had mounted the filter upside down against the mass air... DOH!!!! Goodness I'm an idiot.....

The KKM makes the engine MUCH louder, it really screams at 6000 RPMs. Does it make a performance difference, no not really. There are times when I think there might be a little difference. I think it will help gas mileage though. I think people that see huge gains see them because they expect them. It seems like a big gain because of how loud it is. I turned up the radio and got on it, didnt notice a difference anymore.

The Street Scenes Speed Grille was pretty easy to install. Remove the two corners ( 4 screws) then 4 screws on the top of the grille piece, 2 behind where the corners go and 4 clips across the bottom. It came off pretty easily when i tugged in the right direction.
Alot of people complain about the clips, I had little to no problem with them. The ones I had trouble with I used a small screw driver to pry them open a little more. BE CAREFUL SLIDING THE INSERTS IN, YOU CAN SCRATCH THE PAINT!!!! Luckily I did it where its not noticeable.

I LOVE the look of the SS grille, its exactly what I wanted. Only problem is, now I need one for the bumper!!!! I'll post pics as soon as I can get my hands on a digi cam.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you get that digicam yet?

WEll the KKM can gain you alot of throttle response and power if you use it in conjunction with the rest of the intake.....alone it doesnt do much, with all the other intake mods, it is a necessity.......

congrats on your new mods, I bet you are hooked now, Just like I was years ago when I first slapped a 7" K&N on my 2.9L throttle body.....

did you reset the computer for the KKM? also, once you get exhaust it will make more of a difference.

yes, I reset it..wish I didn't... I didnt install or tune my system, the shop did...... I thought since my factory HU kept radio presets surely my $500 Pioneer would.. WRONG!!!!! I couldnt get it to sound right to save my life. Got a shop here in WPB to tune it for free, but I'll have it done again when I get back to Orlando since I think I like their settings better. This time I'll write everything down and how to do it.

I did notice a little better throttle response, but I was driving with the filter on upside down, so at the top theres was a very small hole between the MAS and the adapter where the rounded edge is. Having it on correctly might make some diff. The whistling sound is gone now

they only make inserts for 99+ bumpers..and i had a sport one and i tried fitting several and none worked..but i dunno, purpony got one to fit in his

dont drive it with a hole like that! very bad for it!!

I'm sure you know this tho..

no, I dont know of any aftermarket decks that save your settings.. since they all have a constant power line, they store it in.. ram I guess you could call it.

I have a kkm, yes the engine is a lot louder, no performance gains here either, nor with a cat-back

I would get a mandrel bent intake tube if they made one.. but they usually cost an insane amount and come with something I dont want. There are no just tubes that I know of. (not that it'd make a difference, air is air I've almost decided)

I also saw no mpg increase with neither the kkm nor the exhaust, my fuel econ has gone down steadily since I got them both installed.. although I dont beleive they are related to it and will not take that as an aswer.

good luck, if anything, the kkm is a great washable filter, and nothing more

I know about the hole, I fixed it when I saw it..I had only driven a total of maybe 10 minutes with it on anyhow. Throttle response is a little better. You gained nothing with a catback, but after talkin in the chat the other day, somethins seriously wrong with your truck so dont blame the exhaust.

yea, actually I'm just about to post on that on my thread about shops, heh, I just got back from one a few hours ago.

I installed a Superchip then a KKM and a fm 70 series muffler. At first with the chip the performance gain was kind of marginal. But when I put in the KKM and flowmaster it (performance) picked up considerably. The only downside is my gas mileage kinda went to hell.

Ya I know what ya mean about the gas mileage, I drive like hell too lol. Been thinkin about the chip group buy, put myself as a maybe... I just dont wanna have to buy premium (93 here). Thinkin maybe I'll just get a shift kit if I can find one

Back