01-05 Sport Trac 4x4 Lift Options Discussion | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01-05 Sport Trac 4x4 Lift Options Discussion

If you have the shackles or aal installed just match the height by measuring from the fender well to the top of the tire. Then crank the bolts and keep measuring until it gets close or matches it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you do anything measure on a hard level surface to the middle of your fender on all 4 corners. When you're doing the TT, about every turn or so equals an inch. At least thats what mine was. I counted each quarter turn. once you do a few turns you'll have to set the truck back on the ground and measure the fenders again.

Like the ideas given to me and I think Im going to follow all of them. Some questions though. The PA 3" body lift kits specify up to 02 I believe. Will it still fit an 05? I think the answer is yes because I do not believe the underbody changed but want to make sure.
I like adding a leaf. However, how do I go about that? Do I purchase a pair from the junk yard and add the top leaf to my existing ones?
Once again, thanks for all the info. Cant wait to get on this project!!!

Yes the PA BL will fit all 1st gen Tracs.

The add a leaf isn't from the junk yard. Its a new leaf that you add to your leaf pack. I'm sure someone that has actually done it will chime in soon.

The leaf is a Pro Comp 13120. Comes as a set for under $35.

I know it costs money but according to the Rancho webiste, I can put in their quick lift shocks in the front of my '05 and get 1.5" of lift.

Has anyone used these and have any feedback?

Thanks!

No they will not work because 05 sport tracs still have a torsion bar suspension. The quick lift shocks are for 07 sport tracs and up and 2002- I believe 2010 explorers.

I just looked at their website and they don't offer leveling kits for 1st gens.

My plans are a 4" superlift and a 3" body lift on my ST then a set of 36 13.50 20 on aftermarket wheels. I figure I can make this work as have been told you can do 35 with a 4" suspension and some cutting.
This truck is not a off road truck but want it to be able to play in shallow mud and minor trail driving any reason this will not work.
The OP started this because he stated he was tired of looking through 40 pages to find answers not this thread is 30 pages so must be popular for answers. I tried the search feature and can't seam to find anyone that has this set up I am wanting.

Look up a guy named Ratbiker. He's not really on but he's on 36" TSLs. There was a white ST that had 20" XD wheels with 35s and he played in the mud. He didnt have much lift though and I'm sure he rubbed everywhere. With about 5" of total lift I'm able to fully stuff 35x12.5s at all 4 corners (well as much as the IFS will compress) so I feel like that much lift will allow you to fit 36s.

Yeah dude I mean honestly you answered your own question lol. 36's aren't the most popular tire size so that's why you don't see too many trucks on here with them. Many guys on here are running 31's - 35's and SOME are running 37's. I think one I've seen so far. I think you'll be okay though. Be prepared for the ball joints!

There was a green one with that exact setup but he started on a solid axle swap and hasn't been heard from since. Can't think of his name at the moment.

He was actually from right up the road from me. Never saw that truck once. And I PM'd him about a year ago with no response.

I would suggest replacing/upgrading a lot of your IFS components if you want to run those 36s. Thats a lot of strain on the independent dana 35.

I would suggest replacing/upgrading a lot of your IFS components if you want to run those 36s. Thats a lot of strain on the independent dana 35.

I did that before going to 35s, including a new steering rack. Most important part of upsizing tires, imo.

My upper ball joints were ok and still are but the boots are torn so it won't be long. I'll be upgrading those soon with pro grade upper control arms.

Basically I am just building a Mall Crawler for hanging out at shows with my son. I have a mud truck to off road and beat up so this one is just for a fun. My last truck was a built Dodge but discovered everyone has one. This is why I picked a ST for my next one. I want to build something different you don't see built at shows. I see stock ones everywhere but no show ones. Not worried about hubs and stuff because it might see 2000 miles a year. I have a work vehicle to drive everywhere else I need to go (no need to spend money of gas). I do want to be able to drive it through some mud though but probably never any rocks. I want a larger wheel at least 20" and a tire that is a radial but a agressive tread. This is why I was thinking of the 36" Irok radial. This is a pic of my last truck.

attachment.jpg

If it's not going to see too much driving and most of that driving is going to be on the road you might be alright with stock parts. However I would keep a close eye/ear on everything just so nothing happens and causes damage or injury.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Right I am willing to upgrade the parts just not wanting to alter the truck with a SAS. My Dodge was running 44" boggers so pretty familiar with parts wearing and having to replace them almost yearly. When I go to do my tires I am going to go with something in the 35-36" range and a large aluminum wheel and try to go with as light a combo as possible.

Back