01-05 Sport Trac 4x4 Lift Options Discussion | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01-05 Sport Trac 4x4 Lift Options Discussion

Rough Country 5" Lift Kit for 98-11 Ford Ranger
98-08 Mazda B3000/B4000
P/N: 43130
On a 2005 Sport Trac 4x4

No bueno.

There is a front diff support bracket moved back almost a foot.

20240311_173316.jpg

20240311_174423.jpg

20240311_174427.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Using factory arm (almost a foot longer), redrilling a 2.440" aluminum spacer to keep the angles, and use a 6" bolt.

Spindles.

20240311_184050.jpg

Milkshaked CVs on one axleshaft.

20240311_180155.jpg

I would go with a 3 or 3.5" spacer, but the bolt would need to be over 7" long.

Here’s what I did

Cut the ear off your frame or anothet frame with a sawzall
Weld the ear on in the “old” factory position to work with the superlift drop bracket

Discussion about the 05 extended front diff bracket started post #133 of this thread. A few pages later the modification was done and the superlift bracket installed:

I'll show my fix/reasoning, you know, for options.

If you can find one (they ARE still out there) grab yourself a SuperLift 9636 Ranger front driveshaft, there is a HIGH likelihood your factory front driveshaft will NOT work at the new angle, and if it does is likely to wear out in short order.

My front driveshaft is SO bad after 225K I considered it undriveable and had it removed, I'd rather not even risk it.

There is also the "Rough Country CV Drive Shaft, Front, 5 Inch Lift" that should fit, it is almost identical to the SuperLift, but 1/3rd cheaper.

I would have gone with the Rough Country to match the lift kit but the SuperLift was rated higher in customer reviews.

I use rear driveshaft from a 96 explorer sport and have it shortened to fit
This is a double cardan style driveshaft with correct u joints for your lifted truck with 4406 and superlift/rough country

Shortening a shaft is way easier

The superlift shaft is $700
I can get a new sport rear shaft for $150-200 or so and have a shop shorten it for $100. (These were on close out a few
Months back I picked one up for $110)
This is exactly what superlift is doing

You absolutely need a double cardan style front d shaft with the lift drop brackets

That works great for people that have access to wrecking yards, and driveshaft shops.
If I still lived in town, I would have gone this route, but:
Nearest wrecking yard is 1.5hrs each way.
Nearest driveshaft shop is 1 hour away.
But UPS delivers to the paved road 1.5 miles from our house.

Between the milkshaked CVs, the front driveshaft, and the front hubs, almost ALL of our "Old Truck" sounds are gone (225,000 miles).

Confirmed: Rough Country 5" Ranger Lift front parts on a 2005 Sport Trac 4x4 is good for 3" of lift with the front axles "flat".

Added to the parts list: Front ABS Sensors; they may not survive the swap either.

20240316_155140.jpg

...and the rear driveshaft is not happy either.
It is a single cardan shaft with a slip section towards the front.
Double cardan front section may work with a new rear u-joint.

Follow up:
Front DS gave up the ghost within minutes of lift.
Front shaft angle: ~x°
Removed front DS, ordered a SuperLift front DS online, installed, no issues.
Lifted rear with 2" shackles.
Rear shaft angle: ~5°
Rear DS gave up the ghost within a week.
Just 225,x.. mile Sport Trac things.

Ugh.

20240401_175814.jpg

Back