02 4.0 won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 4.0 won't start

sarang

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Exp Ltd
07 Sport 4X
My 02 Limited 4.0 sat for about 5 months, battery disconnected. Ready to drive again but won't start. Spray starting fluid in throttle body and runs for a few seconds then won't start. Thought fuel filter clogged and replaced, no change. Only had a few gallons gas in tank so I put 6 gallons new gas, no change. Cranks no problem but will not start, except the few seconds with starting fluid then stops. Sounds fine for the few seconds. I'm thinking it's not getting fuel, perhaps the fuel pump. Don't know, fuel pump can go bad sitting for months? Your help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Suggest you check fuel pressure at rail (KOEO) to check fuel pressure (s/b 60-ish lbs.). This will confirm fuel issue.

If confirmed, check fuse and fuel pump relay in engine fuse box. If they're okay, then you likely have bad wiring (mice?) or fuel pump. (If truck was violently jostled, slim chance the safety switch by passenger footwell was triped.)

Mice ate my wires right to the pump on my '02. I removed seats and cut access in floor to replace my pump (recommend AC Delco), and did other wriring repairs. If you have access to a lift, you might removed tank instead.

Also, kinda tricky to get right adapters to check fuel pressure. I had to buy two on Amazon to get right setup. Might want to tow to local tech, at least for diag.

Suggest you check fuel pressure at rail (KOEO) to check fuel pressure (s/b 60-ish lbs.). This will confirm fuel issue.

If confirmed, check fuse and fuel pump relay in engine fuse box. If they're okay, then you likely have bad wiring (mice?) or fuel pump. (If truck was violently jostled, slim chance the safety switch by passenger footwell was triped.)

Mice ate my wires right to the pump on my '02. I removed seats and cut access in floor to replace my pump (recommend AC Delco), and did other wriring repairs. If you have access to a lift, you might removed tank instead.
Thank you for your helpful suggestions. Fuses and relays all good. Reset fuel shutoff. Believe fuel lines not clogged as it drained out when disconnecting fuel filter which also seemed fine, replaced anyway. I agree with you on the strong possibility of the fuel pump not working. Again, thank you

You are welcome. My only other thought--given the difficulty and expense of fuel pump replacement--is that it might be worth paying a competent tech to put truck on a lift and see whether he can check wire integrity at the fuel pump housing/harness (on top of tank). I'm not sure whether they can get up in there to check w/o dropping the tank. But if they can--and they find a problem with the wiring--then it would point in a different direction and possibly avoid the expense of replacing the pump and maybe even of dropping the tank (though they still might need to do that to fix wires on top of it).

Also, I said in my earlier response "AC Delco" but I meant "Delphi." And be sure to order the Flex version if you have the flex fuel variant of the truck (check VIN). Good luck.

Did you ever get this starting issue resolved?

Back