02 explorer issues (4x4 & door ajar) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer issues (4x4 & door ajar)

blkranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer XlT 4.0 4x4
so I thought I found a good deal on an 02 explorer. Gave $2800
it's super clean and only has a hundred forty thousand on it. Turns out the door ajar light will not turn off it stays on constantly and my dome lights wont go out. On top of that I found out that my 4 wheel drive doesn't work. I put it in neutral and push the four by four buttons and nothing happens. No lights or no clicking noises. I did do a little research on The door ajar light and did the trouble shooting test I rolled all the windows down and set the alarm. Then proceeded to open each door from the inside to see which one's set the alarm. The 2 back doors set the alarm but the front ones did not. Which leads me to think it's the door ajar switch es in the front doors. Now the 4x4 switch lights up when you turn the lights on so I think it's getting power which makes me think it is the 4x4 control module. What do you all think? Will a 4x4 module out of a junk yard work?

I'm a little confused here. Sounds like you have two issues, if the door ajar indication stays on when you shut the door and you have isolated which door it could be the switch which is not too bad to fix. First I would spray little WD40 in the locking assembly. The first time it happened to me, it was the drivers side door and I check the switch and it was fine, so I sprayed a little bit of WD40 in the lock mechanism and it took care of the issue. If it is the door ajar switch itself then search on youtube and there are a couple of videos that show how to replace the switch. It is not a hard job just take your time. Also pull the switch and have someone test it for you to make sure it is not something else. If it is just the door ajar switch, go to any auto parts store and they will carry it. Worse case, you have a broken wire and/or an issue with the CSM. This is battle that I am facing right now and it is going to require pulling of the paneling to get to the CSM module. Since I have a background in electronics, and I have schematics I will be able to fix it via that route.

As far as your 4x4 not working. Does your vehicle have an Auto Mode, 4x4 High and 4x4 Low? Is so that means you have an active Transfer case and the Transfer case controller will more often than not port torque to the front wheel when slip is detected and you really don't need to worry about it. You don't want to drive around with the 4x4 high engaged, it is not fuel efficient and when you turn it causes crow hope. To put the vehicle in 4x4 High, all you need to do is press the button and it will engage. You will not hear anything. I would only do this if the roads are really bad. Now if you want to put your vehicle in 4x4 Low, then the vehicle needs to be put in neutral and vehicle speed 0. If you want to test and make sure it works then fine, but otherwise unless needed I wouldn't put the vehicle in 4x4 Low. Due to the fact that it is sometimes hard to get it out of 4x4 Low and you can't drive at normal speeds in low.

It does have auto 4x4. When you push the 4 low and 4 high buttons nothing happens. No clicking no lights no nothing. It's at the dealership right now. Supposed to run a diagnostic test on the 4x4 tomorrow.

The WD-40 worked for my door ajar light problem. ( 2002 Explorer XLT, 3rd gen. ) After replacing the switch for the rear hatch door, ( the one that I thought was causing the problem) the ajar light was still coming on. Sprayed all lock mechanisms with WD-40 and tried the key, and presto!!! The door ajar light stayed out, and has stayed out now for several years. However now, I do have a problem with the 4x4 not engaging. It seems after replacing the right front wheel bearing/hub assy. and speed sensor my 4x4 does not want to engage. When I put in neutral with brake applied and push either 4x4 low, or 4x4 high nothing happens. No lights, no engaging, nothing. In other posts they say it more than likely a 4x4 module located behind the glove box. I`ve checked and I see I have a multi-function module in this location. PT# 1L24-14B205-BC I see a hole near the top of this module, about 1/4 inch dia. Was wondering if this may be a re-set button, by depressing with a pencil, or something similar??? Would anyone have any info. on this?

Back