'02 Explorer Lift Gate Splitting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer Lift Gate Splitting

I've got an '02 Eddie Bauer that's developed a serious problem with the upper glass portion of the lift gate. This is the one that now has a recall due to hinge failure. Mine has gotten harder to latch recently and even opened itself a couple of times before we were made aware of the hinge issue. The local dealership is handling that issue next week. But that's not the really irritating problem that I'm having.

About one month ago, I notice a small horizontal crack near the top center of the lower painted section of the upper glass liftgate. This at first surprised me as I thought this panel was metal and discovered that it's plastic. This crack rapidly worsened in a matter of days and then developed into a complete vertical split in the panel. There is a gap of approximately 1/16", like the whole thing shrunk. Really getting frustrated over this development and this being a garage-kept vehicle, I took it by my dealership this morning. The service manager looked at it and asked me if it was still under the 3/36 warranty. I said it wasn't but was under a 100k powertrain warranty. I've got about 50k on it but it's less than 3 years old. He said it wouldn't be covered by the factory otherwise and sent me to their body shop foreman to let him look at it. He took one look at it and said that he'd seen this before on several '02 Explorer's. It seems that there is an incompatibility issue concerning window washer fluid solvents and the paint/plastic/epoxy compound that the panel is made from, but wouldn't be covered by the factory except under the 3/36 warranty. I told him that was ridiculous as the car was less than 2.5 years old and clearly a factory design defect. I've went round and round with the dealership and they said my only recourse is to approach the Ford regional manager. Right now, I'm furious and think this whole deal is absurd. Has anyone else ran into this problem and what have you been able to do about it? :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 explorer xls panel splitting

Hello David, the rear panel on my 2002 explorer xls has cracked completely in half. I have noticed this on several explorers of this year. it seems they alwaysc rack vertically to the right of the big ford logo on the tailgate. I came out from work one day and noticed the crack. It was not there in the morning so no driving involved. I also agree this is a defect. I took it to the local ford dealer, the service write up girl told me she has seen several of these, and referred me to the body shop. my factory warranty was out as i have 48,000 miles now. The manager told me because i bought the extended warranty from them they would replace it for 100.00. they had it done in a day as promised. This seems awful strange that all of these are cracking. After it breaks it pulls apart leaving quite a gap. I am angry that i had to pay for it. I am going to type up a letter to ford customer service and let them know my feelings on this. I should not have to pay for structural defects on a newer vehicle. This is not right. i will post anything i get back from ford. was wondering if there is some kind of silent recall on this????????????..

Thanks, Phil

There's a TSB for this!

TSB Number 04-8-5
Issued MAY '04
Body - Liftgate Glass Applique Cracked/Damaged
Subject/Concern: LIFTGATE GLASS APPLIQUE

Cause: Some vehicles may exhibit a damaged/cracked plastic applique without glass damage. Replace the applique as necessary. It is no longer necessary to replace the entire liftgate glass assembly to correct this condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

Service Procedure

Concern Description:
Some 2002/03 built Explorer's either XLT or Limited may experience the rear Applique panel becoming damaged cracked without glass damage. Previously the entire liftgate was to be replaced but now only the applique needs servicing.
========================
This applies to 02' & '03 Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers. This really stinks as this has been official knowledge since May 2004. I'm going to go another round with the dealer over this.

Factory Contact Info

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
16800 Executive Plaza Drive
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48121
1-800-392-3673 (FORD)

I think I'm going to call them tomorrow about this.

DavidS.

Got my cracked tailgate fixed, FREE !!!

I just bought a 2003 XLS with 72500 miles. I bought it on a Tues, Wed morning I go outside to put stuff in it (it's 15 degrees out). As I attempt to close the gate, it doesn't latch, so I push it harder and it splits vertically about 5 inches to the right of the logo. I call the dealer and get referred to the body shop. They say they can fix for about $200 ($50 part, $20 glue kit, Labor, paint, etc)
So I find out about the lift gate hinge recall and figure it has to be related to the crack. I call ford customer service and they give me recall # 04s20.
So I call back the same dealership and explain my theory; bad hinges = cracked gate, since it doesn't close right. They say bring it to their bodyshop. So I take it and they agree to fix it for FREE under something known as a PO5 CLAIM. They tried to talk me out of using the PO5, by saying Ford only lets you use this 2 or 3 times, and I should save it for something important like a transmission problem.
So if they give you trouble ask about the PO5 Claim !

Are you sure they didnt say POS claim? Jk...

what is po5

I'm not sure what it is, but I like it.
Some mysterious out of warranty adjustment.
I really wish I would have known about this last year when my 99 XLS crankshaft broke at 41,519 miles.

does anyone have more info on this? I have a rear hinge for my liftgate that is cracked, just the hinge though not the actual lift gate

everyone is talking about about the molding below the window, its a problem ford had with that model. I've seen issues on the hinges. check recalls

In regards to you SMILEYP, I also have the same problem on my '04 Explorer, but the dealer ship said that the piece was NOT covered under the 100K warranty, even though when I took it in it had about 20K miles on it. they said it would cost around 2K for the part plus the paint work plus the labor.

If your warranty was at 20k and within the 36 months, it is covered under bumper to bumper protection. If you have proof you took it in - a service claim or record of a visit at that time - they still need to fix it now.

$2k is outrageous, unless the hatch is damaged by way of a massive dent, your dealer is taking you for a ride. Who's doing the labor? My goodness...

Nothing is wrong with the hatch itself, just the cracked plastic. I'm pretty sure that it was with-in the 36 months. The guy at the dealer ship did a quote on the part and said just the part un-painted was $1200. They would have to paint it and install it, which they would charge an arm and a leg for.

I have an 02 Eddie Bauer with a cracked hatch as well...I talked to my local bodyshop about it last week...the plastic panel lists for roughly $57 (which he double-checked because he didn't believe it) and requires painting to match...the Ford emblem should be able to be reused (about $20 if you aren't able to) and the whole thing should cost me around $300...regards Barry

Nothing is wrong with the hatch itself, just the cracked plastic. I'm pretty sure that it was with-in the 36 months. The guy at the dealer ship did a quote on the part and said just the part un-painted was $1200. They would have to paint it and install it, which they would charge an arm and a leg for.

You're getting screwed. $1200 is the cost of a new COMPLETE liftgate assembly, glass and all. All you need a stupid little piece of plastic that costs like 50 bucks + painting.

Cracked Hatch

Our Explorer hatched just cracked last week. Is there a safety concern with the cracked hatch or is it just cosmetic? I have noticed it's harder to latch now that it's cracked....

ive got the same porblem on my 02 mounty. if anyone knows how to go about getting this fixed for free please let me know. i bought mine from a guy with no warranty or anything so idk if it would be possible to fix for free.

I have had this problem with my 02 Explorer XLT for 5 years now. I had originally thought it was something I did, or the cold weather up here in NY But then others told me to look around because it has been occurring with other 02 Explorers. I have read about the windshieldwasher fluid incompatibility and I have understood the causes. But I haven't had much luck researching or getting it replaced.

I dont know what a POS claim is but the dealership says its just cosemtic and they won't fix it for free. I found that posting about a FSB but I can not located such FSB by the number provided 04-8-5. I searched under FSB for 02 Explorers and found the crack issue. It explains it and says *TT at the end???

Has anyone had any luck in getting it replaced? Also- I fall under the same category as someone else in this post. My glass fell off yesterday and it's the glass hinges. They said they wont replace them because there was a recall and allegedlymy truck received the work on this recall in 2005 and they only warranty their recall work for 12 months. To me it looks like the dealer scammed Ford and stated they ficed the recall issue and didnt touch my hinges. They completely broke off. They want to charge me $250 plus tx to fix it.

I found the kit online for $40

Does anyone have any advice for me on these issues?

Thanks

Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Common problem on 02-05. It is called the aplique panel. Ford doesn't cover this but if you scream loud enough they will. There is no reason for this costing more than $250 to fix. For the savvy out there, you can use epoxy in the crack and some touch up. Anything more than that is pure robbery.

Back