'02 Explorer Rotational Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer Rotational Noise

D

Deleted member 139008

'02 Explorer XLT V6

When I am driving straight ahead, all is good no noise. When I turn left, same, no noise that I can hear. When I take a curve to the right, I here a RRRRRRR noise that sounds like it is coming from the left side. I already changed the left side wheel bearing hub assembly with a (expensive) Timken product. My front sway bar links were worn out and, although I doubt they had anything to do with this noise, I just replaced those. Now, unless it's my imagination, the noise seems to have gotten worse and I thought I could feel some high frequency vibration in the steering wheel along with the noise (when taking a curve to the right).
I think I have read some threads on noises like this and wheel bearings gone bad. Is it possible that the problem is with the right side bearing and not the left side bearing that I already replaced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking that yes, it could be from the right side. From reading others posts, it seems like for some reason unknown that the right side gives out first. My right rear gave out at about 112k miles, I still have the OEM left side. I've also seen where this is kind of a bear of a job, especially if you're on your back. This is probably one of those jobs best to let a shop do it. I had a local known tire shop do it for about $350.
Finding noises like this can be tough. Best to sit in the back with all seats down, and have someone drive the vehicle and see if you can locate it. I started hearing noises until one day all of a sudden, that noise got louder. Then the right rear wheel was real loose. Have you jacked it up and shaken the wheel to see what condition it's in? You might try it.

So, you're thinking it's coming from a rear bearing. I have been focusing on and have already have replaced one of the front bearings. I am hoping you are wrong about it being in the rear. This is a 2WD Explorer with 160K miles on it. ...More diagnosis in my future and I will try your suggestions (listening from the back and checking for looseness in the wheel).

So, you're thinking it's coming from a rear bearing. I have been focusing on and have already have replaced one of the front bearings. I am hoping you are wrong about it being in the rear. This is a 2WD Explorer with 160K miles on it. ...More diagnosis in my future and I will try your suggestions (listening from the back and checking for looseness in the wheel).

Any updates? I just started noticing the same thing with mine, and started doing some searches to find out what others have done to fix it.

Thanks.

FYI - Timken doesn't make this style hub bearing, it's sourced. I see this is a somewhat old thread, but it could be the Timken hub.

Back