Noise diagnosis - wheel bearing??? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise diagnosis - wheel bearing???

You think it could be just one bearing (LF) making the noise and vibration or both? And how long do you think a wheel bearing may last before it makes a turn for the worse?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's probably just one bearing; mine was the left front, but I replaced both anyway. As to how long it will last...it really depends, the more noise it makes, the less life it has left. If mine were vibrating as much as you say yours are, where it is actually vibrating the dash, I wouldn't consider my truck safe to drive on the road.

Yeah I definately need to get on that bearing! You know where i can get a good bearing/hub (SKF..) or any other name brand bearing for cheaper than $190?

**** Another thing, if it were the bearings, wouldnt the bearing bit the bullet along time ago? Bought it at 43000, now has 47000 and just got back from a 1500 mile round trip and noise is only slightly louder if anything? Idk, maybe it could be the transfer case or front diff? hopefully not but maybe?

Yeah I definately need to get on that bearing! You know where i can get a good bearing/hub (SKF..) or any other name brand bearing for cheaper than $190?

Have a look here, I wrote about when I did mine. They were $140, are better than the Ford OEM bearing/hubs, use quality Timken bearings, and have a lifetime warranty on them.

Allright so took off my wheel and caliper and all today to double check the bearing....and to say the least, its had it. Didnt make to much noise with the wheel and rotor and all on but when i took everything off and turned the right front fast (to get the left front to turn with out killing my hands) and you could definately hear some things that dont sound too too good. Also the bearing was leaking grease (which could probably explain the loud roar)
So im going to definately change that out asap with some of those timkens. Just had me stuped because the noise didnt sound like a bad bearing but apparently it is the bad bearing :)
So thanks everyone....lots appreciated!

Sounds to me like you have more than one bad bearing, if it does it left and right. Try replacing one and then recheck the noise.

For what it's worth, I had a consistent noise that didn't seem to get worse... until the first time I traveled out of town of course. Away from my tools, all I could do was have Firestone replace it after having it towed. $387. And just for good measure, Firestone threw in a free CV boot damaging. To be fair, Firestone also just replaced that CV axle for me without any complaint.

After replacing the front one, I noticed that my "tire noise" now only came from the rear. So I replaced the rear bearing/hub assembly. Not nearly as easy as replacing a front hub. You have to press in the bearings, and it's a nightmare job really. That fixed 95% of my bearing noises and the truck sounded way better than ever. But I could still hear a hair of what sounded like rear end noise. Not much noise when swerving. But i decided to replace the right rear hub bearing anyway, since I was about to take a long trip. After replacing the RR bearing, the rear end noise also went away. Turned out it was a noisy bearing after all, and when it was out, it sounded nasty when spun. Inside, the bearing race looked pitted just like the left side did. It was junk, it just didn't sound as bad yet. I'm sure it was waiting for me to take that trip before it pounced, LOL.

I know I should go ahead and replace the RF bearing, but it makes no noise whatsoever. FYI, the truck had the noise when I bought it with 85K. It now has 100K, and has had 3 verified bad bearings. I'll probably change the 4th just for good measure.

Yeah I just ordered one of those timken bearings today...hopefully it gets here soon. The noise seems to be coming from mostly the front left but whos to say that the front left bearing wasnt drowning out the noise from the other bearings. So i'll def recheck all the bearings after i get this new bearing on. Hopefully this fixes at least 95% of the noise if not all =P
I mean the thing only had 42k miles on it so i would hope that it was just a fluke that one of the bearings went out that early on but who knows lol.

I've been noticing that everybody seems to have problems with the left side bearings (front and rear). Not so much from the right. In my case, major LF failure, major LR noise, minor RR noise, and apparently no RF noise. 100K now on truck. Bearing noise since I bought it at 85K.

Anybody else want to chime in on which side fails most?

My LF failed after a collision. I think it was due to the damage though as it bent the wheel beyond repair, bent the tie rod, and smashed the upper control arm just about flat. That will do things to bearings. Other than that 92K and no noises other than tires and rear end singing.

right front hub

just changed my right front bearing/ hub on saturday. it cured 3 snags at once. abs warning, adv track, 4x4 flashing oh and the rumbling steering vibro. thats 4 at least so happy with that. loaned all the special tools from auto zone and got a new nut from ford. previous fixer had used sealant on the hub flange which added some effort to the removal but hadnt stopped water ingress coz corrosion around bearing pretty severe. perhaps he should have seald the rear face too but glad he didnt!!
its worth checking with autozone for the whole hub assembly. i got mine online for $140 delivered, 5 days but auto was 135 + 35 refundable core cost. i wonder if they will give me 35 bucks for my old shot bearing?
wonder how long the others will hold on for. only had the wagon for 2 weeks. sold as seen with abs and traction control issues. easy fix, great motor. my first exploder is ok... touch wood.

When I bought mine at 85K, I thought it was a tire noise. Sounded much like 4wd knobby tires. I thought it just had cheap tires or something. It wasn't until the front bearing failed on me that I realised I had been naive. After replacing the front left, I noticed the "tire" noise was now only coming from the left rear. So I replaced that bearing as well, which cured most of the noise. I still had a little bit of rear end noise I thought, but replacing the right rear bearing (proactively) seemed to cure almost all of that. Any noise left is in the rear end itself, and is not enough to be considered any kind of problem.

All the same, I'm going to change the gear lube to synthetic 75w140 mobil 1, per the TSB that says to do that. The stock stuff is 75w90 synthetic. Apparently, Ford acknowledges there is some rear end singing, and upgraded to using thicker gear lube.

off message a little

just had all the oil done at jiffy lube 1 mile after leaving the car dealer. engine, 2 diffs, tx case and transx...$300 but i didnt want it seize on the 30 mile drive home. goes against the grain to pay someone for that job but thats a lot of oil to dispose of and i dont have access to a ramp or pit. any how looked at the paper work and they fitted the thinner oil. should i call them for it and quote the tsb? will have to look at the tag on my axle see if it has been changed as per tsb

I've been noticing that everybody seems to have problems with the left side bearings (front and rear). Not so much from the right. In my case, major LF failure, major LR noise, minor RR noise, and apparently no RF noise. 100K now on truck. Bearing noise since I bought it at 85K.

Anybody else want to chime in on which side fails most?

Well think about it: the left side bearing is under the most stress when you are turning right. The faster you are driving while you are turning right, the more stress the bearing is under (more lateral force).

So, when do you turn right, going fast? At pretty well every on-ramp and off-ramp. Virtually no on-ramps or off-ramps in North America turn left. So your left bearings are going to be under far more stress over time than your right bearings, simply because of the design of our roads.

It would be interesting to see if the reverse is true in England, where most on and off ramps turn to the left.

I don't know... not everybody runs the highways that much. The shape of your own neighborhood probably has more bearing (pardon the pun) on it than that. My truck was from up north, so it had a little rust on the bottom. I noticed that when I did the right rear wheel bearing, there was a lot less rust on the parts, corrosion damage, etc. Even some of the factory paint was left on the knuckle. Somehow, the right side got less corrosion damage. I would imagine the left side failing first may be related to that.

When I took apart the rear wheel bearings, I noticed that BOTH outer races had pitting damage, but only in about 1 part of the race that was perhaps 1.25" long. Strangely, only one bearing seemed really bad. The other no doubt would have ended up bad, but wasn't making much noise yet. In either case, I have to wonder how exactly an inner bearing race could end up pitted. Those races are extremely hard. And why only in one spot, and not all the way around? One could almost think that the truck sat in water up to the bottom of each wheel bearing. Or perhaps somehow snow and salt got in, but only up to that level.

The CV axle has a dust seal pressed onto it, that seals the cv axle into the knuckle housing. This seal would prevent the bulk of contaminants from getting at the back (and vulnerable) side of the wheel bearing. My seals were pretty cracked up. $7 each from Ford, I bought 2 new ones when I did my job. I would suggest that anybody doing a rear bearing job strongly consider doing the rear axle seals and the cv axle dust seals at the same time as the bearing job, since it's so labor-intenstive to get that far into it.

By the way, the rear axle seals have been redesigned several times by Ford, and the newest seal is a one piece design. The original seal was 2 piece, one on the cv axle and one in the rear end housing. The new design looks much better to me. One of mine was leaking anyway, so I went ahead and did both. $25 each from Ford. I lucked up and found the new seals (along with a pinion seal I didn't need) on Ebay for $20 for all 3.

While I had the axle seals out, I stripped, cleaned, and repainted the cv axles, knuckle, etc. I pressed in the new bearings, and also spun the axle shaft bearings (in the housing) with my fingers. They seemed good to me. Nice and smooth. Pressing in the new seals is supposed to take a special (long) pressing in tool from Rotunda, but I used a 24" block of 1x1 wood, and bolted a seal driver to the end of it. Then I whacked it in good, many many times, with a mini sledge hammer. That worked out fine. By the way, you can knock out the cv axles from the housing using a 10" 1x1 block of wood and a mini sledge. They pop right out.

Jono667, it's doubtful that a jiffy lube place would know about or honor the TSB on changing fluid viscosity. But if your rear end isn't making noise, then it probably isn't a huge deal. Synthetic is REQUIRED though, so make absolutely sure they put that in at least. If not, they should eat that. The synthetic fluid is about $15 per bottle to buy. And it's stamped right on the rear end housing that it takes synthetic only. If you have a posi unit, they should have added friction modifier as well, or you'll get popping noises when turning. My stupid truck didn't have a posi. 3wd I guess. There's a sticker in your door jamb. The non-posi axle codes are something like 45 and 46, and the posi code starts with a D, like D04 or something.

I don't know... not everybody runs the highways that much. The shape of your own neighborhood probably has more bearing (pardon the pun) on it than that. My truck was from up north, so it had a little rust on the bottom. I noticed that when I did the right rear wheel bearing, there was a lot less rust on the parts, corrosion damage, etc. Even some of the factory paint was left on the knuckle. Somehow, the right side got less corrosion damage. I would imagine the left side failing first may be related to that.

My left front bearing was failed, I replaced both front bearings, neither had any appreciable corrosion on them.

One other thing - think about the speed your truck is going when you turn left through an intersection. Now think about how fast you're going when you turn right. It's not much of a difference - but it IS a difference. How many times have you turned left since you've had your truck?

rear end noise

there is a whine from the back end which changes in pitch on accel, decel and cruise. that is what put me in mind of the visco change. unfortunately i joined this forum th eday after i bought the expl. have since read all sorts about them, some good some bad but that is true for all cars i reckon.

I do believe it has something to do with the average person driving solo more often than not. Think about that. ~200 extra pounds riding constantly on one side of the truck....

Well just to throw my two cents in...i think Ford just threw some bad bearings in these Explorers, seems that no matter who it is and how good or bad you drive....the bearings are going out. Ordered my new LF bearing the other day, still waitin for it to come, but I'll prob eventually change out all the bearings since Ford decided to throw some horrible bearings in these things.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well just to throw my two cents in...i think Ford just threw some bad bearings in these Explorers, seems that no matter who it is and how good or bad you drive....the bearings are going out. Ordered my new LF bearing the other day, still waitin for it to come, but I'll prob eventually change out all the bearings since Ford decided to throw some horrible bearings in these things.

Precisely why I put aftermarket Timken bearings on my Ex. Why am I going to put OEM Ford replacement bearings on, when I already know they're garbage, and I'll just be doing it again in another few years? I bought aftermarket hubs with Timken bearings, and no surprise, they have a lifetime replacement warranty on them.

Back