02 explorer xlt fog light help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer xlt fog light help

The ford dealership is on the way home from work. I'll get the part number and shoot you a text Monday afternoon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I first got my Ex, I did some research about adding fog lights. It was my local dealer that told me about the kit. They wanted around $250 for it so I passed. I figured it would be cheaper to purchase the parts separately.

www.fordpartsgiant.com has the kit you are looking for. It is $206.09:

FogLightKitCustom.jpg

FordPartsGiantFogLightKit.jpg

Here's how I found it: Go to the website www.fordpartsgiant.com, enter your VIN, then choose the Electrical Group, Front & Interior Lamps Sub Group, Front Fog Lamps Accessories Part Group

You should be able to locate the kit.

Hope this helps out!! ;):thumbsup:

Great find ron! I can't believe how difficult it is to find that bugger :thumbsup:

Great find ron! I can't believe how difficult it is to find that bugger :thumbsup:

I knew how to find it due to the research I did. When I first bought my Ex, I gave the dealer my VIN and had him look up fog lights. Since my Ex wasn't shipped with fog lights, the kit came up.

I knew exactly what 2002explorer2002 was looking for and how to find it.

AS you know, I planned on sourcing the bezels & fog lights from members, ebay, etc. The relay & switch from Radio Shack. The wiring & connectors from Wal Mart. The cost is going to be a lot cheaper than purchasing the kit.

thanks a lot really appreciate it. what was the total that u spent doing your fogs? and in that kit for $200 comes with everything you need?

actually if you could can you maybe just call or text me because i might just order just the wiring part 15A211 i first want to make sure that will forsure work and if it will im going to order it right now just to make it easier on myself lol

Hey do u guys know what kind/size screws I should use to hold the foglights into the bezels? I don't want to strip out the holes because if I do that I'm probably screwed. Does anyone know????

I just used 1/4 long wood screws. The screws can't be any longer or else they'll come through the front side of the bumper. By the way, whereabouts in Michigan are you?

2002explorer2002, sorry for the delay in explaining how I wired my fogs.

OK. Here we go.

Have you checked out this sticky?: How to: Auxilary/offroad lites

I highly recommend using a relay! I have my lights wired so that they can only come on with the parking lights and I have a switch also so I can shut them off when the parking lights are on. I picked up the relay (Click Here!) and the switch (Click Here!) at Radio Shack. I got the wire at Walmart. I used 14 Gauge Red (Click Here!) & 14 Gauge Black (Click Here!).

This is the diagram I used for wiring my lights. The relay is triggered by the parking lights, turning on my aux lights, and the switch allows me to turn off the lights:

AuxLampWiring.gif

I found a great path for running wires through the firewall on my '02 XLT:

This is the view from the engine compartment. The access is behind the brake booster. Look behind the brake booster and down and you will see it.

picture.php

This is the view from inside the Ex. Follow the brake pedal up to the firewall and look to the left. The red arrow points to the piece that you peel back and the black arrow points to the grommet:

picture.php

This is where I installed the switch. With the switch in the on position, the fogs only come on when the parking lights are on. With the switch in the off position, the fogs never come on even if the parking lights are on:

FogLightSwitchLocationCustom.jpg

I tapped the parking lights at the driver's side parking light itself, not a big deal since you have to route wires in that area anyway. The picture is from my how to for installing signal mirrors, the link is in my signature. There is some good info there for routing the wires.

Peel back and remove a portion of the plastic wrap - The red arrow indicates the quick splice connector connected to the Green w/White Stripe wire for the signal mirror - The white arrow indicates the quick splice connector connected to the Brown wire for my fog light relay.

9fConnectWireUsingQSC.jpg

Here is the pic of the grounding points. The red arrow indicates the grounding point for the lights, the white arrow indicates the grounding point for the relay & the switch, the yellow arrow indicates where I mounted the relay, the blue arrow points to the wire run from terminal 30 on the relay to the positive terminal on the battery (including in-line fuse):

FogLightWiringSmall.jpg

My relay wiring is as follows:

Term #30 - wire run through in-line fuse to positive terminal on battery
Term #85 - wire run to ground point indicated by white arrow
Term #87 - wire run and connected to positive wires on fog lights
Term #86 - wire run to load side of switch located inside vehicle.

The switch shown in the link has 3 terminals (ground is required to illuminate the LED indicator light):

Line - wire run to parking light circuit at driver's parking light
Load - wire from term #86 on relay
Ground - wire run to point indicated by white arrow
If you use a switch without an indicator light then the ground wire is not required.

When wired as above, the aux lights can only come on when the parking lights & the switch are on. When the parking lights are on you can shut off the aux lights with the switch.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much. Feel free to ask any questions. :thumbsup:

Bump for an update. 2002explorer2002 are you out there? :dunno:

Sorry I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to post back on here. What I ended up doing was run power wire from the relay on my headlights down to the fog lights and then installed a relay on the fog lights. Then wired both relays together so that when my headlights switch on the relay for the fog lights turn on the footlights. If I can figure out how I'll post some pictures on here

does anybody know what the name of the part that is right under the front window. its the defroster vent that stretches across the whole lenght of the dashboard and window. Mine broke and i dont know how to find one because i dont know the exact name of the part and cant seem to find it anywhere on the internet either.

Back