• Register Today It's free!

02 front wheel bearing Questions

dino11

Reaction score
City, State
Princeton, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 exploder
i am certain that i have a front wheel bearing bad. i am cheap and plan on running it until it gets worse.

i cannot locate my haynes book, and am confused with search results

i know on the previous gen explorer, you cannot replace the bearing itself but have to replace the entire hub assembly.

i have access to the proper tools and equipment necessary to do both jobs.

my question is which is recommended? if i put quality bearings in, shouldnt that last as long as a whole assembly? assuming they are installed correctly?

the po claims he put new bearings in all around about 30k ago, but i am suspicious of simply replacing the bearings because they only lasted 30k.

i searched but didnt see a writeup on bearing replacement, just the hub assembly.

or am i simply confused and this isnt possible? haha. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay thats what i thought!! i knew the previous gens were like that, the whole hub. i have replaced those on my moms 00 ex. i was confused because my friend/coworker claimed he presses the bearings out and replaced them, and i did not think that you could and install them properly. haha i knew he was fibbing :S . thanks... any tips on where to get an oem quality replacement for less than big box parts chains? timken? i have seen rockauto.com mentioned alot here. i will look into them. thanks again

What's the best quality front wheel bearing? And what's the best source?

Best quality would be to go to Ford and get an OEM. You could also go to Mac Auto parts and get both fronts for around $200. I bought one through them and so far it's been great.

With the hub bearings, the price is all over the board...for good reason...ask yourself how long you are going to keep the truck..you get what you pay for...BCA is a great brand made by federal mogul (also makes motorcraft) the cheap bearings work..but don't last as long...

Also if one is bad..the other is right behind it...

Lot's of great info on this forum. However, I printed the How-to found on Ebay and used it for my '02 fronts. It was pretty much dead on regarding accuracy and completeness. The one tool I used to get the three pain-in-the-azz bolts out was a Snap-on open end wrench and Snap-on socket. It was tedious work but (other brands did not). http://reviews.ebay.com/Ford-Explorer-How-To-Install-a-Front-Wheel-Hub-Bearing_W0QQugidZ10000000002168689

BTW, I agree with the comment that the other side will go shortly after. Plus you'll likely see the rears go too....but that's another story.

I did my '04 fronts recently. There's a Ford dealer in RI that has a great discount online OEM parts store -- www.tascaparts.com. Think the fronts were $175. I ended up finding one OEM hub assembly on ebay for $100 and the second, a Timken, at Rockauto for $145 as I recall, plus 5% discount. Both hubs appeared identical, US-made products. Spinning beautifully now.

Back