02 Mounty AWD Transmission won't engage ANY gears | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Mounty AWD Transmission won't engage ANY gears

tjgorn01

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Aviator & Mntr AWD 4.6
My son told me his 02 Mountaineer AWD 4.6V8 w 175K was shifting hard and felt like it was slipping as well. I test drove it and got a very hard shift into reverse and would shift hard from 1-2 at higher RPMs/acceleration and more smoothly when accelerating gradually. No OD or SES lights. On his way back from a short trip calls to tell me OD light is flashing and SES light is on.

I check it this morning and pull a P0755 code off of it (Shift Solenoid B issue). I then reset the codes and drive it around to try and reproduce with no luck. Park it. Just went back out to mess with it a bit and now it will not engage into ANY gear. Can shift into any gear but in reality it is in neutral at all times. The vehicle and can be pushed whether in R,N, or D. No flashing OD light or SES light.

Transmission only problem or a combo?

Any ideas at all would be appreciated. Even how to get it to engage to get it to a transmission shop to take a look at it.

I am having almost the same problem with my 02 Explorer XLT 4.6V8. Overdrive light flashing. I forgot the codes. Won’t move at all. I was traveling on interstate and traffic got heavy and stop and go. All of a sudden, one of the times I tried to start flowing with traffic again, seems I only had neutral.

omg I'm having nearly the same issue with my 03 4.0 V6 XLT, just not quite as severe. I pulled a P0745 code and replaced the solenoid pack and now when I'm stopped it's basically in neutral until I tap the throttle a bit then the gear will engage and I can drive, but disengages when I stop again.

Back