02 rear wheel bearing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 rear wheel bearing

blkranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer XlT 4.0 4x4
Pretty sure I got a bad rear wheel bearing or 2. A little background. Bout the truck in October. I noticed a faint roar in the rear when I bought it. It was just a constant. Nothing made it worse or ease up. My wife drives it mostly. Hopped in it today and holy whack has it gotten loud. I can't pin point the noise to a certain side it just sounds like it's in the rear. It seems to be loudest at around 40 45 mph or when you let off the Gas and are coasting to a stop. Jacked the rear up and the right rear has the most play in the wheel. Now my question is. Do I buy just the bearing or the whole hub assembly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has okay'd just replacing the bearing. However I suggest doing the hub and bearing. As posted below.

http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=BRGBR930259K_0342414456

I recommend buying a kit as posted. The hub can get out of round from pressing, then removing and pressing the new bearing. At which point your buying a whole new kit and labor a 2nd time.

I replaced both my rear bearings last summer. I bought the hub and bearing for both. 1 side needed both,but other they were able to reuse hub. Safe bet to buy both.

Is there fluid seeping out at the end of the axle case?

So what leads you to believe its rear bearings instead of say the famous 8.8 whine? Varying by load seems to point to the rear center section. Increasing noise while decelerating is often caused by the carrier bearings.

I think it is because of the excess play in the right rear wheel. Load has no effect on the noise.

If you have noticable play in the bearing, you need to stop driving it until it's fixed.

Back