• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport Fuel Line Issue

CdnBlueStreak

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB - Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer Sport
Hi, I need some help on a recent screw up of mine while changing the fuel filter.

I got ahold of a generic fuel filter to replace the old OEM one in my 02 Sport. While removing the old filter, I noticed the size difference, but thought nothing of it. Removed the old fuel filter, got the new one, and clipped the fitting (fuel filter to engine) however , but to my dismay, noticed the fitting of the fuel line (tank to filter) was larger than the fuel filter's tubing, so it wouldn't clip on. ARGH!

I tried in vain to remove the fuel filter, but the fitting was stuck on the tubing, and would not budge.

So, in my infinite wisdom, I cut off the fittings from the hose, and clamped it down on the new fuel filter tubing. (Also did a bunch of other sketchy things I won't get into) So far it has held up, but I know it will go BOOM at some point.

I want to replace the line where I cut the fuel fitting from. Even though this rigged setup works, I'm worried one day it will go on me at the worst possible time, and I'd rather not take it into the stealership.

All that is wrong is the fuel line from the tank to the filter has no fitting (I cut it off) and the fitting on the fuel line to the engine is stuck on the fuel filter.

What do I need to replace this back to the way it was?

I wouldnt worry about it. As long as you put a couple clamps on the filter/tank side to hold the rubber hose on securely I wouldnt worry about it.

Worst case scenario the rubber line cracks and you see some gas under the truck. Then you know to replace the line.

I guess, but since this truck goes out in the woods alot, won't the vibrations and jarring eventually wiggle it free?

Regardless of how hard it is clamped down, eventually it could shake itself loose, with the fuel pressure and all?

Sorry, I don't to be so worrysome, I just don't want to have to crawl under there in the wintertime if it comes loose, which is why I'm debating getting the correct fuel filter and getting the fitting replaced.

Would I have to get the fitting replaced? Or the whole fuel line?

Back