• Register Today It's free!

04 explorer stuck in 4x4 low

Realdealoo8

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB
My 04 explorer is stuck in 4x4 low and it will not go to the auto or high setting when i push the button. All it does is flash the 4x4low button light, and remains in low. I have a abs light could that be the problem? I dont think it could but im not sure. I tried disconnecting the battery but that didnt work. Any ideas?:usa:

You are in neutral with the foot on the brake when you try to shift back to 4-hi right? At least that is what I have to do on my 99. Maybe drive forward or backwards a foot and try to shift it again. I can't see the ABS affecting the t-case, but you never know.

ABS light will have no effect (as far as I know, I'm no expert by any means).

Flashing means there is an error. I believe the next step is to try and manually shift the t-case. Someone with more experience will jump in on this thread I'm sure.

We have to start with the basics, so please don't be insulted. To shift, you must be stopped, in neutral, with your foot on the brakes, then hit the button. Now, from that point, it gets exponentially more difficult to troubleshoot. Without being able to see the GEM trouble codes, it's anyone's guess as to what's causing the system to stay in 4low. Could be a failed relay, a bad shift motor, bad connection, or any number of other gremlins.

Sorry I can't be more help...

-Joe

Back