04 Ranger 4.0 Harmonic balancer questions..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Ranger 4.0 Harmonic balancer questions.....

bword

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ford Turbo Coupe
Noticed on my dads ranger that his harmonic balancer had two places to a put belt...wait a second :eek:. I couldnt believe it would separate and walk out that far apart from the damper and actually belt pulley. Anyways im looking to do this today or tomorrow. Wanted to ask you guys a few quick questions..

-I have the dorman replacement harmonic balancer
-New TTY bolt from Ford
-Longer bolts for the puller in case the built in ones in the kit don't work

Im assuming im gonna have to unbolt the fan and fan shroud. I know that I need to use the puller on the old bolt while its still bolted in with a few threads out. Putting it back on is where im a lil curious about.

So I understand you should lube the new balancer with motor oil and also make sure the key is in place. As far as installing it I see Autozone has a OEM/Harmonic balancer installer Should I use this or can I get away with beating it on with a hammer and socket? I know I should never ever use the bolt to walk it in.

And then when and if im able to get the balancer in
Stage 1: Tighten the bolt to 45 Nm (33 lb-ft)
Stage 2: Tighten the bolt an additional 85 degrees.

I didn't do mine "in car". It's a pain to walk it off little by little due to the way you have to use the bolt to push against.

As far as installation, I would push it on as far as I could, then use the old bolt to pull it on.

Back