Help: Harmonic balancer removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help: Harmonic balancer removal

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I am having a very difficult time removing the harmonic balancer from my SOHC.

The crank bolt is out and I have tried two different pullers,

The dam thing just won't budge.

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks ..........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you at the point of being afraid you're going to break the bolt?

section525 said:
Are you at the point of being afraid you're going to break the bolt?

At the point I cannot turn the rpuller any more.

Go over to the trac site and read Todd Zs UD project, you need diff lenth bolts for the puller

Are you using a gear puller or a harmonic balance puller? In general, gear pullers aren't as strong as balance pullers and have a coarser thread on the drive bolt. I've tried to use gear pullers in the past with no luck. I finally went out and bought a dedicated balance puller. I use it in conjuction with my impact wrench and have no problems getting balancers off the crankshaft.

Al, just to reiterate what Jdraper said and use a harmonic balancer puller. You will need it to reinstall the balancer anyway. The temptation may be great, but DON'T drive the balancer back on with a hammer. I'm sure you're aware of the crank breakage problem with these engines, where the crank snout pops off for no apparent reason? One theory is that the breakage is caused by improper balancer assembly. Treat it as gently as you would a rich and beautiful lady.

ROE

One more tip (for anyone who may not know this already). The easiest way to put a balancer back on a crankshaft is to heat the balancer to about 200-250° F in an oven to expand the ID of the balancer. Don't heat it much more than that because you can damage either the balancer or the seal on the front of the motor. One it's at temperature, QUICKLY put it onto the vehicle and torque it to spec. Once it's cooled, verify the torque setting again. NEVER POUND A BALANCER ONTO A CRANK WITH A HAMMER!!!

From 8secsplash.net
Gerry said:
Once you get the bolt off the center of the crank pulley take a 1/4" or 1/2" socket extension and put it in the center hole where the bolt used to be. Then take two bolts off the A/C compressor (the long ones that go through the compressor) and put them through the slots on the puller and into the two threaded holes on the crank pulley. Then put the end of the puller on the end of the extension and it'll pull the pulley off in seconds :D.

Gerry

get the correct puller

you need a special puller from OTC. The snout on the puller is approx. 4" long. The entire shaft is approx 7-8" long. I've done MANY timing chain recalls and chain problems. This is the only correct way to pull it off without damaging anything!

^^ that is obviously not Lindsy responding but another co-worker from the dealership.

It looks like Lindsys hand writting,,,

Haha, no that definitely wasn't me, but I know what tool he's talking about- I've stolen it from his toolbox before :D My coworker's new name on this board is 'Port' if you guys have any tech questions for him.

Back