07 roof rack crossbars install? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 roof rack crossbars install?

It's been awhile since I've done anything with mine but they are mounted one all the way to the front and one all the way to the back (I've read some postings that have said to move them both to the front or back). Both racks are mounted with the bottom lip/seam towards the front of the car. I've never notice any wind noise coming from them. Sorry for the next stupid suggestion but you could remove them for awhile to make sure the noise is coming from the crossbars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bottom lip on mine is towards the front....... When I moved the front cross bar further back, three wind noise would sometimes go away. When I moved it back to the front, the whistle came back with a vengeance

I also have a bud deflector installed on the hood. Don't know if that would have any effect on the wind noise but I've never had any problem with noise from the roof rack.

Removing Cross Bars

Chris K,

You were a life saver. I wanted to take the cross bars off for the winter but didn't want to leave the pieces in the rail. Your instructions on removing the end cap in the rear made it a breeze. Although I should have had my gloves on because when the first one came off I took a chunk out of my finger. Used gloves and a rubber mallet to coax the second one off and job done.

Easy...Follow Chris K's instructions

I hate drudging up an old post, but I just installed cross bars on my 2008 Mountaineer and thought I could add to the previous posts regarding what exactly needs to be done.

First, I got my cross bars new in box off of eBay for $64 delivered. That's better than the best price I found on the various Ford websites, where they sell for $85-$87 plus shipping at a minimum.

Based on the posts I read here, and with some consternation, I went about installing them myself.

First, let me be clear, the rear end-caps do not come off by pulling them UP. They come off by pulling them to the REAR. Just lift up the rear of the end-caps enough to get your fingers under the back of them and then pull forcefully to the rear. They will disconnect. FWIW, the fasteners are two-part. The bottom half is like your typical Xmas tree connector, but is meant to stay in the end-cap base at this point. The upper half is like a mushroom cap and cannot be lifted up and off without breaking the "saucer" top. The idea is to unclasp the top half by pulling to the rear of the car.

Next, install the four cross-bar guides that go into the roof rails. As was mentioned earlier, there is no need to cut or brake these parts in two pieces. They flex and will easily bend past the end-cap bases. Just make sure the "tangs" are to the rear and the tie-down "bolts" are to the front. If you get that part right, they will only go in one way, right side up.

Next, bolt up the cross-bars themselves. If you installed the guides correctly, your cross bars will only go on one (the aerodynamically correct) way.

Now, you will need to pop out the end-cap fasteners that were (hopefully) left in their bases. I did this with a flat-tip screw driver. There are slots in the sides of end-cap bases for this procedure. It will take some force to pop them out. After you are done with that, play with the bottom Xmas tree half of the fasteners by splaying out the barbs for a tighter fit when you reinstall them.

Next, install the fasteners into the end-caps you previously removed. Be sure to snap them into the end-caps between the top and second mushroom cap (there are three of them).

Then, just slide the front of the end-caps into the roof rails and push the back of the end caps back onto their bases. I tried the "popping" method and I probably banged too much. I think the action is more of a push. If your splayed the barbs on the fasteners, they should hold, although a little looser than originally. But don't worry, as things settled and the temperature changed, mine have tightened back up to almost original. Certainly not to the point where I worry about them coming off.

Lastly, if you do break an end-cap and/or fastener, a single set (RR, LR, RF, LF) is available from fordgenuineparts.com for about $22 plus shipping. I searched all over the internet and even emailed some of the fastener specialty shops, but none have indicated they can provide me with the fasteners alone.

Chris

I followed Chris' instructions and it took 15 minutes...very easy. The caps are the hardest part...but they do come off with a little bit of pull...a little up, maybe 3/8 of inch at most or so in the back as Chris says...then pull/slide to the back--pull hard.

We’ll I followed the instructions and lo and behold one of the yellow Christmas tree fasteners popped off and literally disappeared. Sheesh! The other one stayed but kind of disintegrated being 2023 and like 16 years old. This is a 2007 explorer. Anyone know where to get those fasteners and not a whole set? Thanks

Back