1987 3.0L Aerostar engine project. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1987 3.0L Aerostar engine project.

Column is a pair of bolts, I've never compared the wiring connectors that attach to the underside of the column. You have a manual now?
automatic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

automatic.
If it was me, I'd make a cup holder using 3/16 steel sheet sandwiched between the shifter and floor. offset the holder so the parking brake lever clears it. A simple box with the rubber insert piece from a car would work. My 99 grand cherokee has a cup holder that is removable to clean.

This weekend I've been around my Aerostar and the '99 Ranger some. I've determined that I need the engine mount (steel) brackets that the engine (rubber) mount attach to. For 11 years the 3.0 was installed in the little van and used the same rubber mounts which are plentiful. Part numbers ending in 2645 and 2646. Mirror images of each other. (Pioneer pic is upside down).
1990 aerostar rubber mounts.JPG

I have searched and found a Ford image that shows the seperate engine bracket part of the engine mount. It is not like the 1998 to ? Ranger truck bracket that sits straight out the rubber mount has studs coming out at an angle in one place.
1990 aerostar engine bracket f09z-6038-c and d.JPG

Parts numbered 1 are the parts that I need. I can get the new rubber mount parts. These are unique to Aerostar and need to come off of one.
It is time to remove the 3.0 from the '99 Ranger to make room for the 94 Mustang 5.0 c-n-p engine.

You can get mounts for a 5.0...

@Josh P I only have two 5.0s at the moment and one is for the '54 F100/'99 Ranger project and the other a '65 Mustang Fastback project. I could use another 5.0 for a 65 or 66 Mustang coupe project.
@BrooklynBay I looked at Green sales company and they show to have one side however their description leads me to believe that it is the rubber/steel motor mount. I will call them later and get them to look at it.
Green Sales Company
I thought you might have a pair in your Aerostar parts collection. I don't think that Josh has any.
@410Fortune I just re-read a note from Josh that says that the early Ranger 3.0 "engine brackets" may be the same as the ones in the Ford
illustration above. In that image, the bracket and mount are not numbered separately. That's why I'm going to call GSC.

The frame side mounting pads on my 87 ranger look identical to the ones on my Aerostar. I haven't measured the distance between them on both vehicles. If it was me, I'd use the 1st gen ranger V6 mount on the frame and make the engine side from angle iron. 4 holes and bend it to sit level on the frame side mount.

@Josh P What size engine is in your ranger?

Your '87 mounts look like my '99 Ranger mounts. That entire design makes the Ranger 3.0 sit too high in the Aerostar.

Your '87 mounts look like my '99 Ranger mounts. That entire design makes the Ranger 3.0 sit too high in the Aerostar.
How much too high?

@Josh P For logistical reasons, I need ready to bolt in Aerostar 3.0 metal brackets that bolt to the engine. The rubber mount/s that bolts between the engine and the crossmember is/are available.
I will be working on the Ranger 3.0 extraction and the Aerostar 3.0 installation in a sea (C) box with hand tools and an engine hoist. At home I don't have any of the farm fab tools, like a grinder, sawsall, welder etc. that I would need to fab up something. I need plug and play.
The whole logistics of this compound project are tricky. I don't have a 50'x50' covered area to have the 3 or 4 vehicles involved, together. I spend a lot of time just trying to figure out where to do what. I know that with the 3.0 powertrain removed from the 99 Ranger, then it can be tow dollied to the shop for the 5.0 installation which at this point is not a cut and dried installation. Some investigation and decisions have to be made as a 5.0 drivetrain install in to a 99 Ranger with coil spring front end has never been documented.
I need the 3.0 into the Aerostar to be easy to make up for what I'm going to go through with the 5.0 powertrain and axle Ranger project.

@Josh P For logistical reasons, I need ready to bolt in Aerostar 3.0 metal brackets that bolt to the engine. The rubber mount that bolts between the
engine and the crossmember is available.
I will be working on the Ranger 3.0 extraction and the Aerostar 3.0 installation in a sea (C) box with hand tools and an engine hoist. At home I don't have any of the farm fab tools, like a grinder, sawsall, welder etc. that I would need to fab up something. I need plug and play.
The whole logistics of this compound project are tricky. I don't have a 50'x50' covered area to have the 3 or 4 vehicles involved. I spend a lot of time just trying to figure out where to do what. I know that with the 3.0 powertrain removed from the 99 Ranger, then it can be tow dollied to the shop for the 5.0 installation which at this point is not a cut and dried installation. Some investigation and decisions have to be made as a 5.0 Ranger install in to a 99 Ranger with coil spring front end has never been documented.
I need the 3.0 into the Aerostar to be easy to make up for what I'm going to go through with the 5.0 powertrain and axle Ranger project.
That makes sense. I problem I've run into with my van is, many of the parts are no longer available so I end up making something else work.

I've been drawing parts with a CAD program, and printing them. This is in addition to adding hardware items such as bolts, nuts, washers, metal sleeves, metal brackets, pipes, vinyl coated cables, and other parts. Some things such as bushings are easy to print. I use TPU which is stronger than the parts in the stores. Some of these parts have been in use for many years, and I don't notice any degregation. The regular parts from auto parts stores have failed numerous times (even the performance urethane bushings).

I've been drawing parts with a CAD program, and printing them. This is in addition to adding hardware items such as bolts, nuts, washers, metal sleeves, metal brackets, pipes, vinyl coated cables, and other parts. Some things such as bushings are easy to print. I use TPU which is stronger than the parts in the stores. Some of these parts have been in use for many years, and I don't notice any degregation. The regular parts from auto parts stores have failed numerous times (even the performance urethane bushings).
A simple design change so a bolt goes through a sleeved rubber mount with ears would save someone from having to experience hell taking it apart. I seriously think ford was bitter that they passed on the opportunity to market the mini van first and the engineers took it out on everyone that bought one. It's easy to put the van back together with factory parts, but if that rubber pad has to come out, it is almost easier to drop the front axle and pull the engine to work on it.

@Josh P I'm waiting to hear back from a guy near Ashville, AL parting out a 3.0 powered Aerostar to hopefully get the engine brackets from him. I'll know something later in the week. Thanks for the help guys.

@Josh P My '87 is a 2wd and it looks like I can get to the lower rubber motor mount bolt, nut with a shallow well socket, a swivel, extension and a long handle 1/2" drive ratchet, I like that ratchet, to reach up inboard beside the lower control arm.
Josh in post #3, you mentioned that a mid 90's? Lincoln Mark VIII driveshaft is just right for the 1999 Ranger transmission in a shorty van. I have a 1996 Thunderbird with a 4.6 and 4R70W that appears to be the same sub chassis and wheelbase as the Mark VIII. Does that sound correct?
Also, I'm hoping that an early 90s A4LD tail housing will fit the 1999 Ranger 4R44E/4R55E? transmission for the speedo cable. I would have to look at the Ranger door sticker to get trans code.

@Josh P My '87 is a 2wd and it looks like I can get to the lower rubber motor mount bolt, nut with a shallow well socket, a swivel, extension and a long handle 1/2" drive ratchet, I like that ratchet, to reach up inboard beside the lower control arm.
Josh in post #3, you mentioned that a mid 90's? Lincoln Mark VIII driveshaft is just right for the 1999 Ranger transmission in a shorty van. I have a 1996 Thunderbird with a 4.6 and 4R70W that appears to be the same sub chassis and wheelbase as the Mark VIII. Does that sound correct?
Also, I'm hoping that an early 90s A4LD tail housing will fit the 1999 Ranger 4R44E/4R55E? transmission for the speedo cable. I would have to look at the Ranger door sticker to get trans code.
Would the 5R55E shaft have the provision for a gear driven speedo? I'll do some checking on the driveshaft and let you know.

Maybe
The vss was present until 98 so…..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe
The vss was present until 98 so…..
I've never owned anything with the 5R55E, so I couldn't answer. I'm interested to find out.

Back