1989 Aerostar van. The steering wheel is not in the center. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1989 Aerostar van. The steering wheel is not in the center.

gasaiz

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
aerostar van
My 1989 Ford Aerostar van's steering wheel is out of center 90 degrees counterclockwise. It drives straight down the road at high speed without shake or wobble. How do I get the steering wheel oriented correctly again? thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. I believe that would be corrected with a toe adjustment to center the steering wheel.

Welcome to the forum. I believe that would be corrected with a toe adjustment to center the steering wheel.
Thank you, I will get the front end aligned.

If the front end is already aligned you can center the steering wheel yourself by turning the tie rods
As long as you make the same adjustment on each side the alignment will be kept and you can center your wheel.

Example 2.5 turns out on drivers tie rod do 2.5 turns in on passenger side

If you stand in front of the van and look at the steering linkage as well as the steering wheel it will come clear to you what tie rods to turn in order to center your wheel

If this happened overnite then you likely need an alignment and possibly new steering tie rods

Welcome to this forum! Your thread was moved into the Aerostar section. Take it to an alignment shop.
Thank you, will do.
If the front end is already aligned you can center the steering wheel yourself by turning the tie rods
As long as you make the same adjustment on each side the alignment will be kept and you can center your wheel.

Example 2.5 turns out on drivers tie rod do 2.5 turns in on passenger side

If you stand in front of the van and look at the steering linkage as well as the steering wheel it will come clear to you what tie rods to turn in order to center your wheel

If this happened overnite then you likely need an alignment and possibly new steering tie rods
Thank you

I was going to mention the TREs but @410Fortune already mentioned it.

Getting aligned be sure to mention how the steering wheel is not sitting straight. Some shops don't pay attention to that.

I'd pull the steering shaft and rotate the wheel where it goes into the steering rack unless it is splined in such a way to prevent it. I've never had to adjust the wheel on my van.

Well you want to make sure the steering is centered
If you simply move the wheel 90 degrees at some splines you may end up not centered in the steering gear when the tires are centered
Meaning you could end up with like 4 turns to the left and only 2.5 to the right of the wheel

The proper way to center a steering wheel is also worth the steering gear centered in its range

The steering gear is usually notched for the pinch bolt and can only be attached in one positions, not infinitely adjustable

Well you want to make sure the steering is centered
If you simply move the wheel 90 degrees at some splines you may end up not centered in the steering gear when the tires are centered
Meaning you could end up with like 4 turns to the left and only 2.5 to the right of the wheel

The proper way to center a steering wheel is also worth the steering gear centered in its range

The steering gear is usually notched for the pinch bolt and can only be attached in one positions, not infinitely adjustable
On my semi truck, I've pulled the shaft and moved it a spline or 2 to straighten a wheel. It was easier than pulling the steering wheel. The drag link on those are not adjustable to change the steering wheel position.

From the images I see online of the steering racks for the aerostar, looks like the steering shaft could be moved 90 degrees to center the wheel.

Screenshot_20240107_184110_Chrome.jpg

Back