1991 Explorer Hydraulic clutch line broken | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Explorer Hydraulic clutch line broken

E_AU_Tiger

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 5-Speed 4.0L
I had a clutch line just pop free of the slave cylinder after 10 months since last free. It appears the disconnect lost the outer ring and I do not feel anything inside the slave to open the line up, is this a slave issue perhaps? The pedal went rock hard after a downshift. Any suggestions? And $75.00 here for a new hydraulic clutch line, dealer only.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need a new slave not a line.

I should be able to feel a pin inside correct? Slave froze up didn't it?

Also, anybody know where to get a photo of the hydraulic line with connector.

no pin, it is whats called a crush collar fitting.
the white plastic ring on the end of the hydro line compresses inside the slave fitting, and when pressed together, expands and holds.

Have you tried just plugging it back in then bleeding the system?
If you pushed the pedal with the resevoir dry of fluid, it is possible you bottomed out the master cylinder.

Not sure if your slave is bad or not, you need to hook it back up, bleed it and see.....

I have never heard of the line popping off like this before.

Could that collar have broken off inside the slave cylinder? No white collar left on the line, maybe. Thanks

If its not on the hose then you got issues. Dealer item or junk yard only, I know it sucks!

I bought two of those things before I went auto.....pricey for sure!

Back