1993 Explorer shifts 1-2 automatically ONLY when cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Explorer shifts 1-2 automatically ONLY when cold

Devo55

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I can't figure this truck out. While driving to work one night I felt something give out like a vacuum hose slipping off or something, after that my truck wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Later that day, after some online research I found out it could be the vacuum modulator. Got under the truck and unbolted the cataylitic converter (pain in the ass), moved the heat shield and low and behold there was modulator and the rubber hose that connects it to the steel vacuum line was full of tranny fluid. Apparently, the modulator was sucking oil into the vacuum line. Ok. Easy fix I thought. Wrong Junior! I've been going at this for about a month every weekend and so far I have installed 3 different vacuum modulators on this A4LD transmission. The two I bought from Ebay were adjustable and wouldn't shift the tranny at all. I couldn't even shift manually. The one I bought from Autozone made the truck run rough and still wouldn't shift until I maxed out the adjustment screw (4 turns counterclockwise). Now the truck runs smooth and shifts automatically (1st-2nd) but ONLY when it's cold. So for about a mile or so I'm doing great. It will give me 3 or 4 shifts into 2nd at 2500 rpms, after that, no more. I have to let off the gas at 2500rpms then it will shift into 2nd very smoothly like butta.
What about the transmission fluid, you ask? The fluid is clean and new because a have small leak in the front seal so I've been pouring a new quart in at least every 2 weeks. Not that it's leaking that bad, infact, it's only a few drops a day, it's because every time I pull out the modulator I lose fluid. I checked vacuum at the manifold at idle, 20inches. Checked vacuum at modulator 20inches. I'm running out of options and patience so as a last resort I ordered a Ford Motorcraft modulator. It's non adjustable just like the original one I pulled out the truck. I think it's just a matter of finding the right modulator that works with the transmission. I really don't think I have any internal problems because it runs great except for the 1-2 shift. Well, I hope the Motorcraft works because I don't wanna take it to a transmission shop and have the guy can tell me I need a rebuild. They always say that no matter what.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best of luck to you. I hope the Motorcraft modulator does the trick.

BTW...

"They tell us all we lost our tails evolving up from little snails I say it's all just wind in sails. Are we not men? We are DEVO!"

:thumbsup:

Best of luck to you. I hope the Motorcraft modulator does the trick.
Thanks. Crossing my fingers because I'm getting tired of working on it every weekend.

This is an easy fix:
Twist away the gates of steel!!

OK, back to problem solving :)

I can't figure this truck out. While driving to work one night I felt something give out like a vacuum hose slipping off or something, after that my truck wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Later that day, after some online research I found out it could be the vacuum modulator. Got under the truck and unbolted the cataylitic converter (pain in the ass), moved the heat shield and low and behold there was modulator and the rubber hose that connects it to the steel vacuum line was full of tranny fluid. Apparently, the modulator was sucking oil into the vacuum line. Ok. Easy fix I thought. Wrong Junior! I've been going at this for about a month every weekend and so far I have installed 3 different vacuum modulators on this A4LD transmission. The two I bought from Ebay were adjustable and wouldn't shift the tranny at all. I couldn't even shift manually. The one I bought from Autozone made the truck run rough and still wouldn't shift until I maxed out the adjustment screw (4 turns counterclockwise). Now the truck runs smooth and shifts automatically (1st-2nd) but ONLY when it's cold. So for about a mile or so I'm doing great. It will give me 3 or 4 shifts into 2nd at 2500 rpms, after that, no more. I have to let off the gas at 2500rpms then it will shift into 2nd very smoothly like butta.
What about the transmission fluid, you ask? The fluid is clean and new because a have small leak in the front seal so I've been pouring a new quart in at least every 2 weeks. Not that it's leaking that bad, infact, it's only a few drops a day, it's because every time I pull out the modulator I lose fluid. I checked vacuum at the manifold at idle, 20inches. Checked vacuum at modulator 20inches. I'm running out of options and patience so as a last resort I ordered a Ford Motorcraft modulator. It's non adjustable just like the original one I pulled out the truck. I think it's just a matter of finding the right modulator that works with the transmission. I really don't think I have any internal problems because it runs great except for the 1-2 shift. Well, I hope the Motorcraft works because I don't wanna take it to a transmission shop and have the guy can tell me I need a rebuild. They always say that no matter what.
Update: So far these 3rd party adjustable modulators aren't working for me. My truck will still only shift automatically when cold. I've been looking for the original factory modulator that came with the truck, Motorcraft E5TZ7A377C (TM-74) non-adjustable. To my dismay this has been discontinued by Ford. I contacted about 40 auto parts sellers on Ebay and so far NOBODY has one.

Update: So far these 3rd party adjustable modulators aren't working for me. My truck will still only shift automatically when cold. I've been looking for the original factory modulator that came with the truck, Motorcraft E5TZ7A377C (TM-74) non-adjustable. To my dismay this has been discontinued by Ford. I contacted about 40 auto parts sellers on Ebay and so far NOBODY has one.
I used an ATP vacuum modulator FX-219 with 4 complete turns CLOCKWISE and its changing gears really nice...

When i replaced mine, I think it was an adjustable style but i never adjusted it. I went at it from the bottom using an inspection mirror. Was a pain in the ass. Only thing i can think of is are you sure the modulator is receiving the proper vacuum signal?

Back