1995-2001 explorer model choice | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995-2001 explorer model choice

yeah hopefully i can find a good one soon :)

thanks a lot! i'll update here if I find anything :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

01 V8's are the best because they fixed the cracking manifold problem.

As far as your options, i'd take the 99 Limited V8 in a heart beat. 99 has GT-40p heads, as well as some emissions updates. 140K is nothing for a v8. I've had 2 5.0s with over 160K miles.

how about the expedition? do you guys know much about it? gas mileage wise, it is way worse than the explorer? thanks

Expeditions pre 99 are garbage. 99+ expeditions are tough as nails, but are gas guzzlers.

cool. how about the 1996 explorer? it has only 60,000miles on it. need to check on how well it was maintained still but was there much difference between the 99 and 96 V8 explorers?

Hi I am about to check out the 1996 v8 explorer with 63000miles. What should I look out for?

Is $3500 a fair price for it?

63k on it......wow that sounds like and older couples car

So a 1999 v8 with 140k miles for 3000 would be better than a 1996 v8 with 63k miles for 3500?

anyone with advice? is the 1996 or 1999 the better deal? i would like to seal the deal soon before it gets sold.

I'd go for the 96...my two cents...best of luck.

I prefer the 99-01 2nd gen 4 doors. I've owned both a '97 and '00 Sport (2 door), both with SOHC V6. I went with a V8 for the reasons you've already been given. It's a great platform and super reliable.

The reason I like '99-01 is they seemed to get all the bugs out by then in the 2nd gen in general. I prefer the styling as well. '99-01 are almost identical, comparing them to each other. The 2nd gen was arguably the most successful rendition of the Explorer since it's inception and they seemed to really have it right in those years outside of screwy door handles, weak hood struts etc.

Oh, and you can get "Torque Monster Headers" for the 5.0. :cool:

I prefer the 99-01 2nd gen 4 doors. I've owned both a '97 and '00 Sport (2 door), both with SOHC V6. I went with a V8 for the reasons you've already been given. It's a great platform and super reliable.

The reason I like '99-01 is they seemed to get all the bugs out by then in the 2nd gen in general. I prefer the styling as well. '99-01 are almost identical, comparing them to each other. The 2nd gen was arguably the most successful rendition of the Explorer since it's inception and they seemed to really have it right in those years outside of screwy door handles, weak hood struts etc.

Oh, and you can get "Torque Monster Headers" for the 5.0. :cool:

What changes in styling did they have over the years from the 1996 to the 1999?

I am sold on the V8, just gotta decide which year model to get. It's hard to find a V8 for sale.

It's a toss up. If it were a ~20k mile difference, I'd take the V8 all day. Being as it is, I could be enticed by the overall mileage of the V6.

I'd climb under both and look at rust. It's possible that the V8 has a better body underneath than the V6, even with lower miles.

I can't find the thread, so I'll add a few things here...

I'd drive and listen for:

grinding/droning when turning. (wheel bearings)
thumps, clunks (suspension components)
drive slowly (foot off the brake, no accelerator) in the V8 and listen for 'popcorn' type noises with the driver's door open (transfer case viscous coupler)
climb under and see if you can move the driveshafts at all (laterally) and if so, will probably be wearing out soon.
Look for leaks- trans, rear main, rear diff, TC, front axle, CV's, radiator, valve covers, etc.
Try the AC. If it cycles every 3-4 seconds but blows warm, it's either low or leaking. If it doesn't run, either the switch isn't cycling it because it's empty, or it's done. Make sure it isn't bypassed with a shorter belt.
rust- look for the rockers behind the rocker, under the rear door, wheel wells, and door seams.
Get up to speed and do some sort-of panic stops. Check brakes, does it track straight, and listen for the transmission downshifts.
Is there any stuttering when letting the wheel turn back to center? (dying pump or air in system)
See if the V8 has Motorcraft plug wires. If not, they've been changed. If so, they're probably original if they don't look decently new. Reach through the front well and pull a wire, check to see if the plugs look new. A sign of a well maintained truck in most cases.
Open the door and lift up the bottom. Play? Needs new door pins.
Check shocks- are they rusted out? Original, need to be changed. The bounce test does not work well on the Ex.
Any interior parts, etc., missing?
Try every button, switch, door handle (in and out) for function. Does the rear wiper work? Does the rear defroster work? Turn it on, go back, and breathe on it and see if it clears by the wire.

All of that stuff adds up if you have to replace it. All possible here for help and how-to's, but $$ adds up if you have too much to do.

Try this too- get a dirt patch, road, parking lot, and floor the V8. It should sense slip and engage. Do you see evidence of 4 wheels spinning if you look back?

IMG00639-20100912-1257.jpg

Does the 4W-LOW engage in the V6? (Put in neutral, foot on the brake, then go from hi to low, same to disengage) Try it out.

The normal stuff- that comparo is a toss up for me, I'd rather have the V8 if it sounds good and drives straight, I just think it's a more stout drivetrain. JMHO... :)

Do you have any pics of these trucks?

1991-1997 had this hatch style:

38869303.jpg

and this front (including 1998, some had foglights also):

25347020007_large.jpg

1998-2001 had this one:

1997_Explorer_6.jpg

and this front '99-'01

99explorerxlt.jpg

The 'Limited" had a special grille, as did the Mounty, with both a different grille, and then the 1998+ Mountaineers having a different front end look altogether:

d1E3K1e-sqq3sN3o5-9pnMto2dpCeaw3Zkai6hfk9Kj9fzcI5g.jpg

A Mountaineer will be the same. Aside from that, and aside from some differences in standard/optional features (check wikipedia) they are pretty much the same.

the 1996 and the 1999 are actually both v8s. Seems to me the 1996 would be the much better deal but if the 1996 comes with more maintenance problems, i'd rather save the money and get a higher mileage but problem free one.

haha that is a crazy ton of information! i will send the link and try to attach images.

Photobucket, or you can email it and I can post it up. If so, I'll PM you and I can send you my email addy.

I only have the picture of the exterior of the 1996, but looks clean. However, the front bumper does look like it may need to be fixed.

One thing about the '96- it's a blue interior. That is an absolute pain in the ASS to find parts for, if you ever need to replace anything. Oh- and 2 year old tires are not new. :D

yeah thats what i thought too. unless it got barely used in the past two years.

hey joe, i sent you a pm for your email. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here it be:

IMG_0001.jpg

Pass. Both bumpers are tweaked, and they don't wash it, evident by the brake dust on the front. That means they're either a.) not caring much for it, or the brakes are shot and wearing really fast. Running board is bent too. I'd get the other one of these 2, especially with a blue interior.

Back