Oil leak possibly between trans and transfer case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak possibly between trans and transfer case?

jdthomas625

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019, Explorer xlt
I have a 2019 Explorer and I have started to notice and few oil spots in the driveway. Looked under the car and found engine oil leaking from what seems to be from between the trans and transfer case. Any direction on where to start to fix this issue? Is it possibly the PTU? It’s a spare car so not worried about the down time with it.

IMG_5296.jpeg

IMG_5298.jpeg

IMG_5299.jpeg

IMG_5300.jpeg

IMG_5301.jpeg

IMG_5303.jpeg

That is either gear oil (from the PTU) or transmission fluid. If its red or maroon color its transmission fluid. Geat oil is caramel colored will have a nasty smell especially if it drips onto the exhaust.

check the transmission dipstick that is under the air filter box and top off if necessary. Use motorcraft Mercon LV fluid.

That is either gear oil (from the PTU) or transmission fluid. If its red or maroon color its transmission fluid. Geat oil is caramel colored will have a nasty smell especially if it drips onto the exhaust.

check the transmission dipstick that is under the air filter box and top off if necessary. Use motorcraft Mercon LV fluid.
It’s definitely not red. About 8-9 months ago I had to replace the driver side cv axle. And I I kinda feel like around then is when the drops started

It’s definitely not red. About 8-9 months ago I had to replace the driver side cv axle. And I I kinda feel like around then is when the drops started
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
please keep us updated. Thanks.

Peter

Back