• Register Today It's free!

1997 explorer 4.0l sohc

jmayo

Reaction score
City, State
porter, maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
hello all
i just aquired a 1997 4.0lsohc explorer with approx 125,000 miles was told it needs timing gears unsure if this in fact the case how should i diagnose this problem on a non running engine? i have heard this is a horrable job to do should i fix this or not? will a 4.0 l out a 1990 ranger fit this with out to much aggrivation. any help would be greatly apreciated

thanks
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum

Give us all you can on what is going on when you say not running. What does it do when you turn the key, what sounds is it making, codes would be very helpfull but hard to get them if you can't get them read, how long has it sat not running, how does the oil and coolent look, the more info you give the more the experts on here can help.

Timing chains do not normally go bad on that motor but it does have a problem with the chain guides that will allow them to become loose and rattle. I would guess at this point that you have other problems that is keeping it from running.

i have not even tried to turn it over yet i am just going by what the previous owner told me. I did not want to crank it over and cause and serious damage to the engine if the timing was really off. so yothink i would be ok to go aead and crank it over?

John

Chances are if the timing was off with the PO the damage has been done.. i cant remember with the explorers, but i know with my SHO if you floor it while you crank it, it cuts the injectors, if its the same i would do that and see how it cranks, or even if it cranks.

your gonna have to at some point unless you plan on rebuilding it. If the timing is that far off then I think the damage has allready been done. Did the previous owner give you anymore info on what happened when it stopped running or how long it has sat?

Take each spark plug out and take a good look at the plugs for any metal, clean and regap them while you have them out or replace. Leave the spark plugs out and turn motor over. Listen for any noise that should not be there, like metal hitting metal. If it turns over freely then try with spark plugs back in. I'm not a motor expert but it's what I would do, gotta start somewhere.

well i spun it over absolutely 0 compresion any ideas?

John

No compression on all cylinders??? or just some....

If it is all cylinders, the valves are hanging open because the timing is way off......bad chain???

If nothing is hitting or making noise, I would start by taking the timing assembly apart to see what is going on....let us know.

i didnt specifically do a compession test but to spin it over it spins as if you took all the plugs out.

John

would you pull the engine or just take the front end apartin the vehicle?

No compression on all cylinders??? or just some....

If it is all cylinders, the valves are hanging open because the timing is way off......bad chain???

If nothing is hitting or making noise, I would start by taking the timing assembly apart to see what is going on....let us know.

Back