1997 Explorer. Head gasket replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer. Head gasket replacement.

kf4tzb

Reaction score
City, State
Miami
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT V8
Hello here ...I just got this explorer 1997 with a blown head gasket ....have a question....can I have the gasket replace without taking the engine out ???...if so ....do I have to mess with the engine "timing components"...I recently change the timing cover gasket because It was leaking coolant...that part is taking care it was dificult but no bad...I realy need some info about how to replace the head gasket...so I will apreciated your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you working on 5.0L? Yes you can replace the head gasket without removing engine.

Kind of offtopic, but how many miles does the car have?

Thanks

This ia a 1997 explorer with 152.000 miles engine 5.0 liter 302

Hi everyone . Im new here but have followed some nice post and learned alot about my 97 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 Sohc engine ... Heres the problems im having . Cold start trouble until it warms up . I believe its the intake rings . Now my coolant fluid is leaking from back and front left of engine . Its head gaskets and i think water pump housing . I got the engine out now with help from posts in this thread but am having trouble finding a post about how to replace headgaskets . Also is there a diagram of engine parts with names ? I have trouble remembering what things are called ... I have changed engines and transmissions before but never opened them up . So if anyone can help me get started that would be appreciated . And any tips or info for what might and or should be replaced while i have it out is welcomed . Thanks

Back