1997 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0/AWD - Towing info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0/AWD - Towing info

Mscanon99

Reaction score
City, State
Hatfield, PA
Hi All,

Great site, first post.

I am looking at buying a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 115K on it. It looks like it has the tow package (4 pin connector) which does not seem to have every been used. There is no hitch attached, the bumper hitch looks like its never been used either. Nice truck, well kept, service records look good and included a transmission fluid change at about 75K. I had one of these a few years back and liked it, however only kept it for about 2 years.

I am looking to tow a 2500 lbs boat and have a few questions for the experts.

1. Is the transmission in a 5.0/AWD a solid unit?
2. How to I determin if it has a Tow Package from the VIN?
3. Outside of the wiring harness, what is the tow package?

I had no problems with the one I had, however I didn't put much mileage on it.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Best

MS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Transmission with the 5.0 is the 4r70w it is one of the best transmissions that has ever been available in the Explorer.

I would put on a trailer hitch and not use the bumper. I have a hidden hitch on mine.

I have towed a 4,000 boat with my 5.0 for the better part of the decade and have had no problems. Plenty of torque to pull the boat out of the water. Just make sure when you are towing you have the overdrive turned off.

I dont think there is really much difference with the tow package, the normal AWD 5.0 has a tranny cooler.

Welcome To The Forum! As Ryan stated the 5.0 transmission is stronger and more solid than the other automatic explorer transmissions, all you have to do is get a harness to plug into that 4pin connector and it should already have a transmission cooler, if you're getting it from a dealer check the undercarriage good because with these Pa winters we get it can get rusted quickly, the leaf spring shackles are something you should carefully look over if they look bad get the dealer to replace them so you don't have to mess with it unless you plan on doing a small lift. Good luck on your buy.

one of the best transmissions that has ever been available in the Explorer.

Oooops hands down it is THE best transmission available in the Explorer

Add a hitch, add another/larger transmission cooler and tow with confidence.
2500# it can handle all day long, many of us 5.0L Explorer owners tow twice that on regular basis

A transmission temp gage is also a great idea for towing, your stock transmission already has a temp sensor in it, all you need is the correct gage and tap into the temp wire for the signal.

Good luck!

i have a 96 5.0 AWD and tow approx a 3500lb boat. Pulls it now problem around town and yanks the boat out of the water pretty easily.

A transmission temp gage is also a great idea for towing, your stock transmission already has a temp sensor in it, all you need is the correct gage and tap into the temp wire for the signal.

While somewhat on the subject, has anyone ever used a ScanGauge II from eBay? I'm wanting one since it tells other info too, and I can plug it into any vehicle. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scan...007QQitemZ170215585409QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The only bad part of the deal...

1997 to 1998 Ford Explorer - No Speed, Distance or Fuel Economy information (MPH, MPG, Miles driven).

Has anyone verified this for 98 5.0L?

Well back to about pulling with the Bumper hitch on the 97 5.0 Mercury Mountaineer... Can the hitch be used without ripping the bumper off? I am looking at a 1 time 30 min drive to pull a Jet Ski on a Small Jet ski trailer. Can this be done? lol.. there is a lot of rust. its bad but mostly surface i believe. Has anyone ever done this and made it? need to know befor i go try and break my wife's suv so she can yell at me LMAO

Back