Different 5.0 AWD packages? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Different 5.0 AWD packages?

Nuar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Exploder
Hey guys, I just have an odd question.
I owned a 1997 5.0 AWD exploder, it had the nice "bucket" seats, 6 disc cd changer. Over all pretty well equipped. It also had a towing package of sorts. It had a brake booster (i think thats what that was as I never used it). Under the steering column there was a black gizmo for that.
Well long story short I sold that exploder and purchased a 2000 LIMITED explorer.
Same deal, 5.0 AWD but its the limited package. No towing package on this one.

Now, I am not sure if that last explorer had an after market towing setup installed or if that was a factory option.
The "new" one I got has all the bells and whistles. Digital climate control (old one had just regular knobs), "better" audio package that includes a factory sub (which SUCKS), and that odd on board computer thing that shows you your mileage, system check/info thing...

My main question is...
Is it possible that my last exploder had different gears or something like that? I swear this "new" one is quite a bit more sluggish when I mash the loud pedal... Its driving me nuts!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The trailer brakes sounds like an aftermarket package. I've seen them on a lot of pickups etc. The loud pedal problem.. dunno. have to wait for a more knowlegeable person to answer. i'm not sure what ratios were available in what years.

No tow package would mean it has a numerically lower (example 3.73 or 3.55 but referred to as a "higher") gear set which means a lower RPM at highway speeds, but as you refer to it as a sluggish start from a stop. There should be a sticker inside the drivers door with an axle code you can look up on the site or crawl underneath and check the tag on the rear differential. My guess would be it has 3.55 or 3.73 gears.

Alternatively, you could have some slack in the throttle cable (they stretch over time) that would also give you a delayed or slow throttle response.

New one should have 3.73's with a Limited Slip. Your older one may have had different gears. I'd suggest giving the new one a tune up; new filters, new plugs, new wires, and maybe sea foam it.

All AWD have the same axles (rear 3.73 with LS).

My EB has the same infocenter console, it has the subwoofer (not working because radio was replaced with a normal one), towing package (no brake booster)... so I guess all those where options, not standard.

As for the gas pedal cable - mine was stretched and I fixed it like below:

Random007.png
Picture%2520001.png

This is not true. The EB and LTD's come with a 3.73 LSD standard but the XLT's have it as an option.

Are those factory (AWD's)?
I read here about open rear AWD's on XLT's, but I still don't think that Ford put an open differential on rear with an AWD - it's a total waste of money to use a central differential with LS and not upgrade the rear end too when selected that option on XLT.

If I am wrong, so be it...

Are those factory (AWD's)?
I read here about open rear AWD's on XLT's, but I still don't think that Ford put an open differential on rear with an AWD - it's a total waste of money to use a central differential with LS and not upgrade the rear end too when selected that option on XLT.

If I am wrong, so be it...

Yup.

The answer is money.

My EB has the same infocenter console, it has the subwoofer (not working because radio was replaced with a normal one), towing package (no brake booster)... so I guess all those where options, not standard.

As for the gas pedal cable - mine was stretched and I fixed it like below:

Random007.png
Picture%2520001.png

I thought your first picture looked familiar!

Random007.jpg

Per the gearing, the axle code should be on the door sticker if I remember correctly. In lieu of that, there should be a tag bolted onto the rear axle.

Second that. I almost bought one for an offspring in the middle of the winter, thinking that an AWD would have the limited slip differential. Found out at the last moment that it was an open one instead. Ford might have saved $25 on this trick, but hey, every penny counts - especially when 99% of the buyers never figured out the difference anyway.

This is not true. The EB and LTD's come with a 3.73 LSD standard but the XLT's have it as an option.

My guess for the sluggishness would be how well its maintained. i would do the plugs, wires, fuel filter air filter maybe some sea foam synthetic fluids etc etc... you can get a tune from henson that would help it along the road some :D

Thanks for all the replies.
i checked the door sticker its D4 so its a 3.73 limited slip, thats not the issue.
my throttle cable looked like that too and i did the quick zip tie trick, at the same time i put a catback on and the car fealt a little more peppy. Not sure which did it, i will have to look into replacing the throttle cable alltogether maybe, mine was pretty damn stretched, think i fit 3 zip ties on there (it was months ago). After all that the truck still doesn't seem as responsive as the old one was.

As far as the tune up, i dont think one is needed. The previous owner did it. Had the heads cleaned up and reassembled the long block too, so plugs and wires were done i'm sure.
I replaced the whole egr system (three components) (there was a check engine light for the egr when i got the truck) and just did the idle air control valve since mine was causing the motor to humm. (It took me a while to figure out it was the iac valve lol.

I noticed that the old one would downshift much quicker when goi g up hills and i gave it some gas. This one seems to not want to downshit a lot of the times.
The previous owner had the transmission rebuilt, so I doubt its the tranny giving me issues.
I am pretty stumped.

At least i figured out which gears i have, thanks guys!

Through the first part of 97, the 5.0 used is different than the later 5.0...different heads, couple other things. Or could be the newer truck is heavier due to different options? Different emission calibration?

Bill

The difference between GT-40 (pre mid-1997) and GT-40P heads is small IMO. But some say otherwise... so who knows.
Wiki quote:

1997-1/2 Ford Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers equipped with the 5.0 L engine called the GT-40 head (casting id F3ZE-AA). In mid-1997, the Explorer and Mountaineer 5.0 L heads were revised and renamed GT40P. The GT40P heads, unlike the GT40 heads, had a very well developed port shape/design which yielded ~200 cfm on the intake side and ~140 cfm on the exhaust side without increasing the size of the ports at all from standard E7TE castings, and without increasing the exhaust valve size. They also had smaller 59 - 61 cc combustion chambers for added compression, and the combustion chamber shape was revised to put the spark plug tip near the center of the chamber for a more even burn. These GT40P heads are considered by many enthusiasts to be extremely efficient.

Hi Nuar,

If the heads were worked on and the transmission was rebuilt, I would not assume that these were not the problem and they would be high on my list of things to check. Have you done a compression test, vacuum test, have you checked the plugs? How about fuel pressure fuel filter, and injectors?

Hi Nuar,

If the heads were worked on and the transmission was rebuilt, I would not assume that these were not the problem and they would be high on my list of things to check. Have you done a compression test, vacuum test, have you checked the plugs? How about fuel pressure fuel filter, and injectors?

When i started this post, i just figured i had different gears, so i never even thought of diving so deep into diagnostics.

as far as the heads, since my explorer is a 2000 model, does that mean it has the gt40p heads?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the O2 sensors? Maybe the cats are plugged? Fuel filter?

I would think the newer 5.0 would feel better, since it has the better heads and better exhaust manifolds.

Back