1997 Explorer v6 4.0 SOHC Mysterious Vacuum line...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer v6 4.0 SOHC Mysterious Vacuum line...?

Jdeha8379

Reaction score
City, State
Spanaway, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I just bought a 97 explorer and when i had removed the passenger side splash guard to get to the spark plugs on that side of the engine to clean them and a vacuum line fell down and was corked with a wood screw. i have NO idea where it goes, and if relevant the A/C doesnt work and the clutch never activates. i believe this is relevant because it looks like this line goes under and into the blower motor. im not a mechanic, so any detailed explanations are welcome :) any questions or details needed just ask. thanks!
-Jesse

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does yours look like this? I would guess it goes to the heater control valve. This photo is up top. My 97 is down under the alternator (a pain to get to)
Hope this helps.

You ac may be low R134a.

Attachments

• hcv2wr3.jpg
    hcv2wr3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 17,210

vacuum reservoir

That looks like the semi-rigid vacuum line that connects to the vacuum reservoir bulb located below the air filter support. The bulb is between the inner and outer sections of the engine compartment and not visible.
VacBlbCn.jpg

2000Streetrod Has another good option if it is not the one I was thinking of, I'll look again when it stops raining.
Here are a couple of photos of mine this morning. The one vac line plugs into another one that goes down to the heater control valve. When I got mine the one from the valve was broken. What a pain to get down to. I like the one up top as my son's 95 has. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• heater valve v1.jpg
    heater valve v1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 9,694
  • heater valve v2.jpg
    heater valve v2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 7,440

havent looked, its been raining and have been out mudding all day :) will look when this dang washington weather lets up

There are two vacuum lines that go into the blower box. One is an output from the HVAC controls that operates the heater control valve that DaExplorer pointed out. The other is the vacuum line that feeds the HVAC controls (the flaps that direct airflow are all vacuum operated). This line connects to the vacuum reservoir, which is a round ball mounted on top of the fender skirt. The vacuum reservoir, in turn, connects to the vacuum source on the intake manifold. If this is the line that is disconnected, you would not be able to change which vents air is coming out of (eg. floor, defrost, panel).

so i looked (sorry for the long delay..) and i cannot find that spot. i looked on some explorers at the junk yard and they have the same line plugged in, and i couldn't find the same plug on mine. it looks like it goes under the alternator or something im not sure, but all of my vents work fine inside the tuck..

There are two vacuum lines that go into the blower box. One is an output from the HVAC controls that operates the heater control valve that DaExplorer pointed out. The other is the vacuum line that feeds the HVAC controls (the flaps that direct airflow are all vacuum operated). This line connects to the vacuum reservoir, which is a round ball mounted on top of the fender skirt. The vacuum reservoir, in turn, connects to the vacuum source on the intake manifold. If this is the line that is disconnected, you would not be able to change which vents air is coming out of (eg. floor, defrost, panel).

Which line off the intake manifold (evr connection) connects to the round sphere? They're numbered. As i am having problems with all these little vacuum lines.

Back