1998 4.0L SOHC Running rough & check engine light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4.0L SOHC Running rough & check engine light

grunz85

Reaction score
City, State
Yellowknife NT Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I have a 1998 Explorer 4x4, 4 door, 4.0L SOHC, that has a check engine light on. The check engine light came on after it ran for 40 minutes down a dirt road then came to a stop. Idling dropped and started running rough. Check engine light is on stead and is also blinking at times when moving.

Mechanic said #5 cylinder is not firing, the Spark plug is OK, same with the wire.

Also, there is a hole in my muffler. I dont see how this could cause my explorer to run so rough. Im looking to get a new exhaust from the muffler back once if fix the check engine light.

Help Please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats the Coil pack worth? And how hard is it to replace?

i bought my ignition coil pack at local pep boys $89.99 ivery easy to change new ignition coil pack has number on it only 4screw and one ground wire for radio :salute:

Sweet man, Thanks. Im going to swap the coil out first before i try the plugs. The plug has spark so i think its good.

Not the Coil, Its now looking like the Fuel Injector for Cylinder 5.

I might suggest that before you replace more parts, that a compression check is in order....if the plug was firing, the coil pack was probably ok, and you know the plug was ok...it was firing.

It could be an injector, and it would be easy to move a few around to see the results before buying new ones...if one is bad, the others are probably weak/dirty/gunky....

Still, a compression check will tell you if the cylinder is any good (broken ring, bad valve, etc). A compression guage is about $20 or so, and easy to use...good idea to check all cylinders. Just my $.02......:roll:

How many miles do you have on your explorer? I had the same problem with one of the fuel injectors on cylinder #3 and ended up replacing all of them at 157,000 miles. It ran much better with new injectors with an increase in MPG and performance. Fuel injectors are a maintenance item and its recomended to replace them after 125,000 miles.

195000km (120,000 miles) I replaced the #5 injector and everything is running normal. Thanks for the suggestions. Would have replaced all of them, however my location is **** and could only bring one in. Thanks again for the help

4.0l sohc compression

What is the compression supposed to be?

Compression

Thanks for the numbers. I figure if I somehow get it over 100 in most of the cylinders it will start but I'm not holding my breath.

thanks for the tip guys mine 98 sohc just started doing the same thing, mine has 191xxx miles tho i was gonna ask but now i know i love this site

Had an injector go bad on a Mazda B2200. Used mechanic's stethoscope to listen to each one. The bad one was very quiet compared to the clicking sounds from the others. I replaced them as a set though and it really pepped that engine up. After replacing them I could hear them all clicking away even without the stethoscope.

Help I have two ford rangers both have engine lights blinking on & off idles and barely runs struggle to keep them running replaced the plugs/wires and gas filters . It originally said Cylinder Misfire On Cylinder 3 still says that still runs like crap both of them both have a high mileage . How can it happened about the same times to both of them help

Back