1998 eddie bauer explorer 2wd 5.0 transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 eddie bauer explorer 2wd 5.0 transmission

greythorn3

Reaction score
City, State
alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 eb 5.0 2wd
Hey ive been reading day and nite since yesterday, i got a used explorer, what a gem!

anyhow i know i need to get a trans pressure tester..

heres my problem

reverse works great, transfluid doesnt smell, and when checking it idling it reads full on H..

Forward i need to reve it to 2500 rpm and it start creeping then moves forward.. the guy i bought it from said he was drivin and it stopped moving....

my scantool is a autoxray6000 it says the line pressure is 15psi, while i watch it in for forward gears as im reving it it goes to 30psi when it slowly grabs and moves the vehicle forward..

now how is it a reverse can go in like its new but forward is like this? i dont know if my scan tool is reading the psi right either i would think it would be much higher..

do you guys think this mechanical test gauge is good or do you guys know of a good deal on a decent one online or in stores?

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-ATD-5550-Automatic-Transmission-Pressure/dp/B000OUZBZ0

Thanks in advance guys, i dont know if im gonna fix it or just sell it now or what..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look how trashed this interior is! i dont know what i was thinking

Does the automatic trans in these have a vacuum modulator like old c6's??

No vacuum modulator, sounds like maybe forward or direct clutch problem(internal failure).

ya thats what im thinking, funny i was driving it to get it in the garage in reverse and i put it in drive and gave it some gas and it went like there was nothing wrong, so i backed it back out on the street to see if i could cruise around the snow pilein forward and nope! its crazy. im gonna drop the pan and see what kinda nonsense we got inside there.

dropped the pan and the fluid all full of little bubbles. doesnt look to bad in pan, what struck me odd was the filter was laying in the pan and not attched to tranny and the oring was ****ed in the hole..

wonder if this was the problem.. we will see when i put it back togeather to test..

looks like these pan gaskets are reusable with little metal things in them to keep from over tightening them, am i correct? im gonna reuse it all for my test.

fluid was clean on the stick, but pretty dark in the pan, some small metal sparkles, didnt look that much different then any other tranny fluid change ive done, maybe a little more black.

Back